I don't understand - what is this for?

Old August 6th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Default I don't understand - what is this for?

wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:53:04 -0700, JD wrote:

On Aug 4, 6:02 pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Aug 4, 7:45 pm, JD wrote:

On Aug 4, 3:33 pm, Fred Clydesdale wrote:
personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless.
We can't all be closed-minded dumbasses.
i pass at least 5 fixies
a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
up those hills.
C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.
JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass
No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.

JD

Dear JD,

Why don't Tour de France riders use single speeds?

Cheers,

Why don't they use 11-34 cogs and triple cranksets?

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old August 6th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Michael Press wrote:
In article rSnti.348$mw4.286@trndny09,
Steve Baker wrote:

Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

From a plea for sanity and tolerance
to mud-slinging in a single bound.

I don't think that was mud-slinging. More likely it was
self-deprecating group humor on the a.m-b side.

Greg

Old August 6th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Steve Baker wrote:

Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

From a plea for sanity and tolerance to mud-slinging in a single bound.

I was referring to the rec.bike.* crowd - I know AM-B are FAR less
well-dressed than "raggedy" could possibly imply. ;-)

Hahaha, I guess I was wrong.

Greg

Old August 6th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_80_]

Fred Clydesdale who? wrote:
In article ,
"G.T." wrote:

Interesting, I'm out of shape but I pass more people going up hills on
my fixed than on my geared bike. Either you're just plain old fitter
than those guys or you're full of ****.

a little from column A, a little from column B...

i think the problem most people with geared bikes have is that they
tend to think "hill: first gear". that doesn't make it HURT any less,
it just makes it hurt LONGER....

The force applied to the pedals does need to be kept down to a point
where the rider is still using anaerobic power if the climb is of any
length.

Old August 6th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_81_]

wrote:
On Aug 4, 7:45 pm, JD wrote:

[...]

Hey, I resemble that remark! (At least on the 'bent - the ATB has an
11-32 cluster)

Old August 6th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Fred Clydesdale wrote:

i'm sure that for some people the simplicity is an attraction.
me, not so much. maybe you're in that group. i'm also sure that
for some people riding a fixie is just a way of saying "i'm
OUT there".

No, for many it's a way of having fun. I'm not all that interested in
SS freewheel bikes but my fixed gear is FUN AS HELL in my local terrain.

If you want the opinion of a well-rounded and generally agnostic(*)
cyclist check out Sheldon's articles:
http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html

maybe you're in that group. here's a test question:
how do you feel about The Man trying to legislate the requirement
for at least one brake on your surly, or soma, or whatever it
is?

I differ greatly with JD on this but I think everyone should run at
least one brake with a fixed gear. I run both the original brakes on my
1980 Motobecane Jubilee Sport.

Greg

(*)Only regarding the religion of cycling.

Old August 6th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
Chalo wrote:
JD wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
JD wrote:
C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like
it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.
JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass
No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....
If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.

If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
kidding yourself.

Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and
on his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other
than downhill on the fixed).

Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

No, but some of the guys are finishing top 5.

Greg

Old August 6th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
RonSonic

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 18:34:46 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:

G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
Chalo wrote:
JD wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
JD wrote:
C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.
JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass
No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....
If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.

If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
kidding yourself.

Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and on
his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other than
downhill on the fixed).

Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

Probably not. I have seen cyclocross races won on a single speed. That was a
fairly local event (Fla State Championship Series).

I don't know why the emphasis on racing, you don't see recumbents winning any
mountain bike races, but some people still think they're somehow fun or useful

Ron
Old August 6th 07, 01:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)

Per Steve Baker:
If you took off the Rohloff, then you probably halved the weight of the
bike, Pete. ;-)

That's no joke. Furshlugginer thing makes for a rear wheel that
must weigh 8 pounds.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 6th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_128_]

wrote:

G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
Chalo wrote:
JD wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
JD wrote:
[...]

Er, the discussion was about the relative performance of single-speed
and/or fixed gear MTB's verses geared MTB's. Since the goal of racing is
to be the fastest, racing results would appear to provide some
indication of relative performance.

you don't see recumbents winning any
mountain bike races, but some people still think they're somehow fun or useful[.]

Class, can we say RED HERRING?