I don't understand - what is this for?

Old August 6th 07, 10:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
JD

Default I don't understand - what is this for?

On Aug 5, 4:34 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:
Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

A typical douchebag question because racing doesn't have jack **** to
do with anything.

JD

Old August 6th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Aug 5, 4:38 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:
The force applied to the pedals does need to be kept down to a point
where the rider is still using anaerobic power if the climb is of any
length.

Tell us more, Bill Nye The Science Guy.

JD they should call it rec(tum).bicycles

Old August 6th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_156_]

wrote:
Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

A typical douchebag question because racing doesn't have jack **** to
do with anything.

Racing has nothing to do with which bike (within the rules) is fastest?
Thanks for the information!

Old August 6th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Corvus Corvax

On Aug 4, 1:16 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com" wrote:

What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

To think I missed this flamewar!

http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/articl...egory=web_only

Ride what you want. Life is good.

CC

Old August 6th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
RonSonic

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 19:41:08 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:

RonSonic WHO? wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 18:34:46 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:

G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
Chalo wrote:
JD wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
JD wrote:
C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.
JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass
No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....
If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.
If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
kidding yourself.

Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and on
his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other than
downhill on the fixed).
Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

Probably not. I have seen cyclocross races won on a single speed. That was a
fairly local event (Fla State Championship Series).

I don't know why the emphasis on racing,...

Er, the discussion was about the relative performance of single-speed
and/or fixed gear MTB's verses geared MTB's. Since the goal of racing is
to be the fastest, racing results would appear to provide some
indication of relative performance.

you don't see recumbents winning any
mountain bike races, but some people still think they're somehow fun or useful[.]

Class, can we say RED HERRING?

Well, yeah. That's what I was trying to point out. Mazda Miatas don't win any
indy car races but are a hell of a lot more fun on the street than an indy car
would be. So would you say it was silly to buy one for its performance.

Of course geared bikes are faster, didn't we establish that almost a hundred
years ago. Just because something is faster doesn't mean it's more fun.

The irony of all of this is that we the Bike-God-Dorks of RBT see how silly it
is that so many riders buy gear based on racing needs that have nothing whatever
to do with the riding they actually do, yet when a bike shows up that is clearly
intended for caroming through the woods and having fun one of the first
questions asked is "can you win a race on it." As if this were the measure of a
bike.

Ron
Old August 6th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
JD

wrote:
Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

A typical douchebag question because racing doesn't have jack **** to
do with anything.

Racing has nothing to do with which bike (within the rules) is fastest?
Thanks for the information!

No, racing doesn't have jack **** to do with anything. Yes, you are a
douchebag.

JD

Old August 6th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike

On Aug 4, 1:16 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com" wrote:
See http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/mountain/69er.html.

Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it just a
demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear wheel
provide any real advantage?

What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

Are there prudish Trek dealers out there who will not carry this bike
because the name, or dealers who would be afraid of offending their
customers? Is the "69er" name meant to appeal to the BMX crowd who buys
products such as the "Snafu Rim Job" tires?

Is the Waterloo, Wisconsin water supply contaminated with a parasite
that causes brain dysfunction?

Who exactly is the target market for this bike?

It's because Travis Brown seems to think that having a smaller wheel
in the back allows much better acceleration, thus disproving the
theory that professional athletes can provide useful input into
product development.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...005/news/08-29
Silly wheel sizes aside, single speed actually makes a lot of sense
for mountain and cross bikes. Geared bikes are only faster until the
rear derailleur gets jammed with mud or bent in a crash. You can only
down shift so far before you're better off running anyway.

Old August 6th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Touché.

Greg
--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://ticketmastersucks.org

Old August 6th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_171_]

wrote:

G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
Chalo wrote:
JD wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
JD wrote:
[...]

Well, Greg Thomas contended that JD ("the freak" in Greg's words) would
be no faster on a geared bike than on a fixie (except possibly downhill).

Greg's contention is the reason I asked about the racing results of
fixed versus geared MTB's, as the relative overall success of each type
would provide some indication of relative performance.

Got that?

Old August 6th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_172_]

wrote:
Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)
A typical douchebag question because racing doesn't have jack **** to
do with anything.

Racing has nothing to do with which bike (within the rules) is fastest?
Thanks for the information!

No, racing doesn't have jack **** to do with anything. Yes, you are a
douchebag.

You have to try harder JD. I have been flamed much better many times on
Usenet.