Roof or towbar

Old September 17th 13, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default Roof or towbar

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:29:25 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six
wrote:

On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 15:52:15 UTC+1, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message

I wonder why you didn't try the boot for size. You may find that you can

get two bikes in there at the back if you pop off the front wheels, bars

turned without mudguards. I don't know. Perhaps you could advise how you

get on.

That's impractical if he's going on a "cycling holiday" though, presumably

the car will already be full.

Two of them? If they wanted the space inside to have "a stretch", then perhaps a hard covered trailer would be more suitable as it may be better secured. It also means there is plenty of room for camping paraphernalia, if that's their fantasy.

Thirty-six is right.

Three years ago, when we spent a week in a cabin in Britanny, both
bikes went inside the car. But Clare is now over six months pregnant,
and future holidays will be with a baby and later a child. Folding the
rear seats flat will not be an option. And we will also need a baby
trailer or baby seat for the bike.
Old September 17th 13, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:30:45 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

"thirty-six" wrote in message

That's impractical if he's going on a "cycling holiday" though,
presumably

the car will already be full.

Two of them?

You've obviously never been on holiday with a woman

You should have seen the crap Clare packed for an overnight cycle trip
along the Danube. I had one small saddlebag containing a change of
underwear and socks, toothbrush, passport, mobile phone, money and a
multitool. Clare stuffed the four panniers with clothes for every
occasion and, if I recall correctly, at least four pairs of shoes. Her
make-up neatly filled the barbag.
Old September 17th 13, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

"thirty-six" wrote in message

That's impractical if he's going on a "cycling holiday" though,
presumably

the car will already be full.

Two of them?

You've obviously never been on holiday with a woman

You should have seen the crap Clare packed for an overnight cycle trip
along the Danube. I had one small saddlebag containing a change of
underwear and socks, toothbrush, passport, mobile phone, money and a
multitool. Clare stuffed the four panniers with clothes for every
occasion and, if I recall correctly, at least four pairs of shoes. Her
make-up neatly filled the barbag.

You didn't take soap, towel, deodorant or spare clothes. Lovely.
Old September 17th 13, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message
We have just made my selection for a replacement car for our V reg
Peugeot 406, which I bought second hand just under 10 years ago.

Why do you need a car? I had that bicycles were always a viable form of
transport?

Old September 17th 13, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 16:55:14 UTC+1, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message

I usually think ******, when I see a tow-ball mounted bike carrier. FFS,

a towball is for ...

I suppose if your car has one, you might as well make use of it. It seems a

lot easier and less risk of damaging the car to attach a rack to the towball

rather than clipping it on your tailgate.

I'd be interested to know how many people actually secure their bikes and

wheels, I don't mean just making sure they don't fall off but actually

locking the bike and the wheels like they would if they parked the bike in a

town centre. It wouldn't be funny if you stopped at a Happy Chef and came

out to find your wheels (or entire bike) has been nicked. It's happened to

plenty of caravans in motorway services...

It happens off roof racks too. Any real bike, not a Chinese facsimile of Brie, is a target when seen and the bikes may be taken when one stops at traffic lights.
Old September 17th 13, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

wrote:

"thirty-six" wrote in message

That's impractical if he's going on a "cycling holiday" though,

presumably

the car will already be full.

Two of them?

You've obviously never been on holiday with a woman

You should have seen the crap Clare packed for an overnight cycle trip

along the Danube. I had one small saddlebag containing a change of

underwear and socks, toothbrush, passport, mobile phone, money and a

multitool. Clare stuffed the four panniers with clothes for every

occasion and, if I recall correctly, at least four pairs of shoes. Her

make-up neatly filled the barbag.

You didn't take soap, towel, deodorant or spare clothes. Lovely.

I guess you suffer with your own odour, to make such a comment.

Old September 17th 13, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"John Benn" wrote in message
"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message
We have just made my selection for a replacement car for our V reg
Peugeot 406, which I bought second hand just under 10 years ago.

Why do you need a car? I had that bicycles were always a viable form of
transport?

Sorry, "heard", not "had". My typing is as bad as Justin's.

Where is Justin anyway? He disappeared at the same time as Dave did.

Old September 17th 13, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:55:14 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

"thirty-six" wrote in message

I usually think ******, when I see a tow-ball mounted bike carrier. FFS,
a towball is for ...

I suppose if your car has one, you might as well make use of it. It seems a
lot easier and less risk of damaging the car to attach a rack to the towball
rather than clipping it on your tailgate.

I'd be interested to know how many people actually secure their bikes and
wheels, I don't mean just making sure they don't fall off but actually
locking the bike and the wheels like they would if they parked the bike in a
town centre. It wouldn't be funny if you stopped at a Happy Chef and came
out to find your wheels (or entire bike) has been nicked. It's happened to
plenty of caravans in motorway services...

When using rear rack - the sort that scrapes paint from the bodywork,
rather than the towbar sort - I have always locked the bikes to the
rack, and locked the rack to the roof rails with a long chain.

The tandem on the roof is easier to secure. I lock the frame to the
tandem rack with a short D-lock, and the rack to the roof rails with a
strong cable lock. (The roof bars lock independently to the roof rails
but I don't trust those locks.)

Just for clarity, there are three components for carrying bikes on the
roof of my car:
1. roof rails - these are a part of the car and fixed to the structure
of the car.
2. roof bars - these clamp and independently lock onto the roof rails.
3. tandem rack - this clamps onto the roof bars.
This image shows it all:
https://childbacktandem.files.wordpr...5/img_5018.jpg
Old September 17th 13, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 21:34:19 UTC+1, John Benn wrote:
"John Benn" wrote in message

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message

We have just made my selection for a replacement car for our V reg

Peugeot 406, which I bought second hand just under 10 years ago.

Why do you need a car? I had that bicycles were always a viable form of

transport?

Sorry, "heard", not "had". My typing is as bad as Justin's.

Where is Justin anyway? He disappeared at the same time as Dave did.

have they "collided"?
Old September 17th 13, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

"thirty-six" wrote in message

That's impractical if he's going on a "cycling holiday" though,
presumably

the car will already be full.

Two of them?

You've obviously never been on holiday with a woman

You should have seen the crap Clare packed for an overnight cycle trip
along the Danube. I had one small saddlebag containing a change of
underwear and socks, toothbrush, passport, mobile phone, money and a
multitool. Clare stuffed the four panniers with clothes for every
occasion and, if I recall correctly, at least four pairs of shoes. Her
make-up neatly filled the barbag.

You didn't take soap, towel, deodorant or spare clothes. Lovely.

When did you last stay in a hotel overnight which didn't provide basic
toiletries and a towel?

FS: 3 bike towbar mounted rack ProfTournesol[_66_] Australia 0 November 11th 07 05:47 AM
Free to good home: towbar-mounted bike carrier beerwolf Australia 2 January 14th 07 04:31 AM
HELP - towbar mounted racks. Mike_P UK 7 April 27th 06 03:13 PM
Towbar carrier for six bikes Peter B UK 27 March 15th 05 10:05 PM
Towbar mounted wheel-support bike racks? Steve UK 3 April 6th 04 08:59 PM