Recumbent Urination

Old November 28th 03, 11:48 AM
harv

Default Recumbent Urination

"Bent Pedals" wrote in message
On 27 Nov 2003 14:00:13 -0800, (Bob Slebodnik)
wrote:

Recently, a gentleman send a letter to Recumbent Cyclist News about a
phenomenon that he has noticed: the increased need for (productive)
urination while riding a recumbent that disappears when not riding a
recumbent. I, too, have noticed this in my 6,000+ miles on
recumbents. I find that I have to stop every 45 minutes or so and
that sensation of needing to stop starts after only about 25 minutes.

Grin, there's a good number of trees and fence posts east of
Toronto that have been "watered" this autumn.

Picked up my first bent in early September and actually
visited the doctor in the latter part of October with concerns about
this very problem. While he couldn't/wouldn't specify the whys and
wherefores, he assured me I was healthy in the plumbing department,
at least operationly, and to keep up with the watering campaign, it
was doing the rest of my body good.

Interesting to see so many posts confirming the same result in
many others as well . . . is it an affliction that we'll work our way
through, as suggested in other responses? Grin, I certainly hope so,
with the cold weather setting in, I can't afford any amount of cold
air contraction in that region.

We've heard of recumbutt, I guess this is a case of recumbladder. After all,
on a bent you don't have your body weight smashing your urethra against a
tiny saddle.

Old November 28th 03, 12:42 PM
Torben Scheel

"Bob Slebodnik" wrote in message
om...
Recently, a gentleman send a letter to Recumbent Cyclist News about a
phenomenon that he has noticed: the increased need for (productive)
urination while riding a recumbent that disappears when not riding a
recumbent. I, too, have noticed this in my 6,000+ miles on
recumbents. I find that I have to stop every 45 minutes or so and
that sensation of needing to stop starts after only about 25 minutes.
Again, it is productive of a normal amount of urine when I stop so and
I don't notice this phenomenon in other aerobic activity or when not
riding a recumbent. I do not drink alot of fluids when I ride (though
I know that I should). I am not diabetic and do not seem to have
prostate problems. As far as ergonomics go, I have noticed this on my
Rans Tailwind and now on my Rans Velocity Squared. I would be
interested in knowing if this is a widespread phenomenon or not and if
anyone knows what causes it. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.

Just to be the exception - I never have had problems with this.
--
Torben
webmaster @ www.hpv-klub.dk

Old November 28th 03, 01:28 PM
Larry Raphael

Bob.

My thought is that on an upright bike, you basically have pressure
sitting on your valve and that may help stifle the need to go. Some of
the suggestions others have mentioned may help but for some, there may
be other factors that are also working on them -

Recumbent riders tend to be older riders (not all) and older riders
also have more issues with urination as they get older. So...there's
that one. Then another possible issue for a very few is again one that
effects somewhat older riders. Some of us tend to develop high blood
pressure and if that's the case, then sometimes the medications that
are used may make a person need to urinate more often. For example, a
diuretic (water pill) results in more water passing out of the body
and so that can effect urination habits a "wee" bit. LOL

If that applies (using a duretic) and it's a long shot since for many
this won't apply, there are many optional ways of dealing with this.

Larry Raphael
Barcroft Dakota #002, Metallic Blue
Oakton, VA
Old November 28th 03, 01:39 PM
Ian

Torben Scheel scribed with passion and wit:

[...]

Me neither, must be a Septic problem.
--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old November 28th 03, 01:42 PM
Joao de Souza

Bob Slebodnik wrote:
Recently, a gentleman send a letter to Recumbent Cyclist News about a
phenomenon that he has noticed: the increased need for (productive)
urination while riding a recumbent

I noticed that on my very first recumbent ride. I even mentioned it on
my loooong report to the MARS mailing list (see
http://list.marsride.org/scripts/wa....=lf&S=&P=12473)

And yes, it still happens. I have to control my fluid intake a lot more
carefully when riding a bent.

Old November 28th 03, 03:20 PM
GreyFx2

you might be on to something Denny, I do think it has something to do
with the legs churning higher up, for me though, it brings on the old
#2! I'm real careful not to eat right before riding now.

Denny Voorhees wrote:
I've noticed it also. When I first went over to the Vrex from a BikeE, it
was URGENT urination. I applied the rule that "anywhere can be a bathroom",
many times.
The problem has pretty much gone away after the first year with the 'Rex. I
now ride a Giro. I do believe there is a more frequent urination thing
happening. It is not of the URGENT nature I experienced that first season

on
the Vrex, more than 10,000 miles ago.
I think it may be due to the SWB, perhaps having the legs higher is a
contributor. Then again maybe its just old age manifesting itself in some
new and exciting way..
Denny in Sayre, Pa
"Bent but not Broken"

[...]

Sincerely,

Bob

I had the same problem here beginning with switch from DF to bent. Sadly it
continues after 4 years of recumbent riding.

A possible cause: my wife (a nurse) says that when people (especially older
people, and especially those with ANY circulation issues) lie down, the fluid
that has collected in their legs and feet is now redistributed via bloodstream
into kidneys. For me this is supported anecdotally by the fact that, when I
ride later in the day, after a day on my feet, I can generally not ride as far
between stops.

For me, caffeine also is a MAJOR factor in the distance ridden v pitstops
equation, so when touring I NEVER have caffeine for breakfast, and am able to
make it comfortably between SAGs.
Old November 28th 03, 03:25 PM
Mikael Seierup

"GreyFx2" skrev

For me, caffeine also is a MAJOR factor in the distance ridden v pitstops
equation, so when touring I NEVER have caffeine for breakfast, and am able to
make it comfortably between SAGs.

Well, I'm neither old or ailing but the 2 huge mugs of tea it takes to wake me up
in the morning might have something to do with it. ;-)

M.
Old November 28th 03, 03:30 PM
John

One of the reasons I tried out a recumbent was because of frequent
urination on a df. I found out that the problem was worse, but
everything else was so much better that I've never gone back. John
Old November 28th 03, 04:25 PM
S. Delaire \Rotatorrecumbent\

Exercise causes the blood to pass thru all the filters in the body at a
higher rate.
This is a benefit of exercise.
Same thing happens to me when I raise the heart rate for an extended
period of time for any type of exercise. Running, jumping rope, swimming,
etc. .
Not unique to recumbents.
Speedy

Old November 28th 03, 04:38 PM
Joao de Souza

S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent" wrote:

Exercise causes the blood to pass thru all the filters in the body at a
higher rate.
This is a benefit of exercise.
Same thing happens to me when I raise the heart rate for an extended
period of time for any type of exercise. Running, jumping rope, swimming,
etc. .
Not unique to recumbents.

With me it is quite escalated when on a recumbent. I've been riding for
well over 30 years, used to race BMX in the 70/80's, and MTB in the
90's, and have done a lot of endurance sports. Never had that problem
quite to the same extend as when riding a bent.