Riding rolling hills

Old June 7th 04, 09:57 PM
David Reuteler

Default Riding rolling hills

John Allen wrote:
Back in '92 I was driving from Calgary to Vancouver and before a certain
Roger's Pass there is a long long mountain climb. Half way up this long hill
I passed a cyclist obviously geared for cross-country who seemed to be about
75 years old. He was casually but steadfastly climbing that hill without any
outwards signs of trouble.

back in summer '02 as i was cycling down the oregon coast and up a rather
nice extended climb a gentlemen in his mid-70s on a fixed gear bike and a
carradice bag rather merrily passed me, said good afternoon and with a big
grin offered me his wheel. i took it and accompanied him to the top.

i hope to return the favour to some poor thirtysomething when i'm in my 70s.
--
david reuteler

Old June 7th 04, 10:36 PM
Terry Morse

John Allen wrote:

Back in '92 I was driving from Calgary to Vancouver and before a certain
Roger's Pass there is a long long mountain climb. Half way up this long hill
I passed a cyclist obviously geared for cross-country who seemed to be about
75 years old. He was casually but steadfastly climbing that hill without any
outwards signs of trouble.

We have a 70-year-old in our club who rides a tourer with toe clips,
fenders, large Carradice bag. He wears sneakers. He can climb Old La
Honda (3.3 miles, 7.5%) in 22 minutes. Sometimes, he clamps onto my
wheel on a climb and won't let go. Boy, that's embarassing.
Old June 7th 04, 10:40 PM
David Reuteler

Terry Morse wrote:
Sometimes, he clamps onto my
wheel on a climb and won't let go. Boy, that's embarassing.

ahem. yea..
--
david reuteler

Old June 7th 04, 10:40 PM
Terry Morse

Badger_South wrote:

I rode a more difficult route today than usual, lots of rolling hills, and
it was quite interesting.

snip

I rode just 10 miles but I don't feel any more winded than a fast flat ride
of 15 - 20 miles.

Good going, Badger. Rollers are great training, you can think of
them as forced intervals. Go hard on the climb, recover on the
backside. The nice thing about intervals is you can get in more
training without getting wiped out, so you can recover more quickly.
Old June 8th 04, 03:29 AM
psycholist

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
Badger_South wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:28:09 GMT, "Per Elmsäter"
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:
I rode a more difficult route today than usual, lots of rolling
hills, and it was quite interesting.

I normally train on a basically flat course with some gentle hills,
but I try to ride as hard and as long as I can given my injury, age
and short time back into cycling.

Surprisingly, although there was some heavy breathing (I -think- it
was me), I coped very well, and had no burning thighs, and
systemically, I felt totally fine after reaching each crest; IOW,
breathing rapidly returned to normal.

I rode just 10 miles but I don't feel any more winded than a fast
flat ride of 15 - 20 miles.

Guess we'll see this pm when I go out again. Pretty good feeling
though, b/c at 225lbs and age 53, I've been dreading the hills, and
it wasn't that bad. Good to have a Trek under me, though. (Thx, Mike
J.)

-Badger

Wait 'till you do a group ride on the same hills and those 60-70 y/o
starts hammering away.

Yeah, you mean the ones rehabbing from their THRs? I'm cringing
thinking about it, but I know they're out there, heh.

-Badger

I don't know what THR is but I wasn't really joking. I constantly get
dropped by people 5 -15 years older than me on our clubrides and I'm not a
slow rider. I can get them on the final sprint if I'm still in the pack.
We have this one dude that'll turn 69 this year. He does a 30 km TT in 47
minutes.

It is actually one of the things that make me happy. Thinking that maybe,
maybe I'll be that healthy when I turn 70.

--
Perre
"Me , yep I'm 53 like you"

Thanks for making me (age 48) feel young again! That's really cool!

Bob C.

Old June 9th 04, 02:28 AM
Raymo853

Ageism on bike rides rock. I am only 33 but I love seeing it. The best was
a multi-group MTB rides a few back when I early 50's guy that always drops
me showed up on his old bike, a early 90's Trek 830 with a rear rack. He
crushed everybody in the B group and caught the guys in the A group. The
guys and girls my age were doing everything to keep up with him if they
could.

Ageism when mixed with sexism is even better. Another friend of mine,
Margot is 62 i think. She is not fast, but is very well paced and steady.
At the end of awful five hour rides, she has embarrassed many 20-30 year old
guys as she leads hangs on their wheels for the final climbs. .