Fender Mounts That Connect To V-Brake Bosses?

Old December 18th 05, 02:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Fender Mounts That Connect To V-Brake Bosses?

Per Tracksterman:
Turns out he hasn't got it yet, but is intending to. It's the Decathlon
Rockrider Mudguard (not to be confused the bike range of the same name);
although it's won a design award I've not been able to find much info
online.

Per http://new.idsa.org/idea/idea2001/B9014.htm
"Even real mountain bikers would use this light-looking, effective mudguard that
easily attaches to 95% of bikes made while enhancing the aerodynamic look of the
bike. The Rockrider, which attaches to the brakeplots, avoids the problems of
other mudguards that are awkwardly fixed on the seatpost."

Can't see the graphic they have, but it sounds right on the money.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 18th 05, 02:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Turns out he hasn't got it yet, but is intending to. It's the Decathlon
Rockrider Mudguard (not to be confused the bike range of the same name);
although it's won a design award I've not been able to find much info
online.

Per http://new.idsa.org/idea/idea2001/B9014.htm
Can't see the graphic they have, but it sounds right on the money.

He saw someone using one on a 2-day bike-orienteering event (Polaris), and
thought it looked quite effective.

Old December 18th 05, 03:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Wham! Crashed right into the back of my neck with feet clawing at my back...
head pecking like there's no tomorrow and wings beating wherever they can.

Was *really* glad I had a helmet on that day.

Wound up with some cuts on my back and a bruised scapula.

So Pete, are ya' having goose for Christmas dinner?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old December 18th 05, 07:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Ride-A-Lot:
I don't recall, but I don't doubt it. They are nasty, expecially in the
spring with their chicks around.

This one didn't have chicks or even a mate.

Beeeeeg parking lot around K of P, Sunday - no cars, just acres and acres of
blacktop with this one goose standing practically in the center of it all.

I'm crossing the lot and it starts that threatening stuff - head bobbing up and
down, making noises, and so-forth.

Ok, we'll go around it... so I turn and start circling way, way wide of this
thing.

Whoops!.... He's not buying it, runs over to intercept me.

I think "This is just a freaking *goose*... He wants to mess with me, Ok...." so
I downshift, accelerate, and run right at it.

Goose flaps it's wings, makes some indignant noises... but gets out of the way.

I look over my shoulder and the thing is taking off - getting airborne going in
the opposite direction.

"Hah! thinks I... serves you right!"...

One more look over the shoulder.... Uh-oh, the thing just made a 180 and is
coming at me at head height.

Wham! Crashed right into the back of my neck with feet clawing at my back...
head pecking like there's no tomorrow and wings beating wherever they can.

Was *really* glad I had a helmet on that day.

Wound up with some cuts on my back and a bruised scapula.

Some weeks later, my son-in-law-the-farmer enlightened me to the fact that wild
geese can break your forearms. Something called a "baton fracture". They come
beating at you with their wings, you put up your arms to shield your face, and
the bone on the leading edge of the wing point-impacts your forearm.

Another guy recalled seeing some geese kill a rather large dog. Dog chased one
of them into the water and then they kept attacking it until it drowned.

Don't mess with mother goose.

F*ck! That's it, I'm bringing a "holy hand grenade" with me.

You probably left after that. See, I'm stupid. I would have turned
around for some vengeance. No goose is gonna make a fool out of me.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 18th 05, 08:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per Mark Hickey:
So Pete, are ya' having goose for Christmas dinner?

Believe-it-or-not, my Better Half is from the Old Country and we actually do
have goose for most Christmas Eve dinners.

But one more word of wisdom from my-son-in-law-the-farmer: the Canada geese that
hang around corporate campuses taste lousy. Something about their diet I
think.

I always thought the half-grown goslings would make good eating, but I guess
not.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 19th 05, 06:51 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
"Even real mountain bikers would use this light-looking, effective mudguard that
easily attaches to 95% of bikes made while enhancing the aerodynamic look of the
bike."

Can't see the graphic they have, but it sounds right on the money.

It sounds like a blue light special to me, with that glowing commercial
and all.

JD non-aerodynamic bikes-r-us

Old December 19th 05, 06:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

heh heh

Well, in most of the rest of the northern hemisphere, it's cold, wet and
crappy for the next few months. It's challenging enough for mere mortals to
navigate natural obstacles covered with mud, water, ice and slick moss.
Nothing like picking up the speed and getting a faceful of mud, unless it's
that wonderful rooster tail of cold water and crap that manages to find your
neck and trickle down your spine.

Desert riding sounds pretty good at this time of year. Until I win a
lottery and get there, think I'll be a wuss and settle for a fender.

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per JD:
Fenders are for commuter and cruiser bikes.

And those who don't like the idea of inhaling droplets of goose turds

and
whatever else has crapped on the trail...
--
PeteCresswell

There are no geese in my deserts or mountains.

JD

Old December 19th 05, 07:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tracksterman:
Turns out he hasn't got it yet, but is intending to. It's the Decathlon
Rockrider Mudguard (not to be confused the bike range of the same name);
although it's won a design award I've not been able to find much info
online.

Per http://new.idsa.org/idea/idea2001/B9014.htm
"Even real mountain bikers would use this light-looking, effective mudguard that
easily attaches to 95% of bikes made while enhancing the aerodynamic look of the
bike. The Rockrider, which attaches to the brakeplots, avoids the problems of
other mudguards that are awkwardly fixed on the seatpost."

Can't see the graphic they have, but it sounds right on the money.
--
PeteCresswell

Found the pic: http://www.idsa.org/idea/idea2001/images/tn/B9014.jpg
It looks like hoopty bling on that bike, but I could see it being
effective.

/s

Old December 19th 05, 07:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Scott Gordo wrote:
Found the pic: http://www.idsa.org/idea/idea2001/images/tn/B9014.jpg
It looks like hoopty bling on that bike, but I could see it being
effective.

Effective for what? I'll liken it to Darth Vadering up, unless you are
doing real tours of substantial distance and staying dry can be the
difference between life and death. I don't put shin guards on, just
because I've been kicking rocks up into them on occasion. Crappy
trails are what GoreTex is for, wear it. If I didn't need fenders for
riding through cow**** in the CO high country, they're not needed for a
little goose crap in middle america. Running through fresh meadow
muffins is not a lot of fun, but it's a given part of a lot of Colorado
high country riding and seeing fenders on a bike there is rare and
usually a good bet that it's on a tourist's bike.

JD

Old December 19th 05, 07:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per JD:
If I didn't need fenders for
riding through cow**** in the CO high country, they're not needed for a
little goose crap in middle america.

I think that most herbivore poop is relative innocuous. Seems like as one
moves up the food chain the poop gets increasingly nasty.

Cows aren't major vectors for influenza viruses (virii?) geese and other
waterfowl are.

In fact one of the more recent reports from Asia is that ducks that are walking
around apparently healthy are excreting large amounts of live H5N1 (bird flu).
--
PeteCresswell