alerting drivers to rear light failures

Old July 12th 09, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Default alerting drivers to rear light failures

Bod wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if you said "Get your effing light sorted,you
tosser" :-)

I actually *always* start off quite polite. I would have said something like
"s'cuse me mate, do you realise one of your tail lights are out?". Fact is,
when you raise anything with car drivers, be it about the state their car is
in or their **** poor parking or driving habits, the majority will become
defensive and possibly aggressive.

I am just glad I am not a traffic cop or traffic warden. They have to put up
with this type of **** *all* the time.

Old July 12th 09, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Campbell

Clive George wrote:
"Adam Lea" wrote in message
If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake
light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe
and practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy
them?

IME they tend to appreciate it - people seem to thank me for doing so.

I used to do it when I ran (training) alongside slowly moving commuting
traffic. The occasional one felt threatened, another occasional one
looked at me as if I had sprouted a second head, but I think the
majority were appreciative if only after initial incredulity (at any
form of altruism).

I have worried about doing it from the bike as I had the impression that
many drivers would feel threatened (me being closer to them than when
running on a footpath) and/or treat the advice as a complaint.

But it's good to hear your positive experience.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.
Old July 12th 09, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bill

"Adam Lea" wrote in message
If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake
light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe
and practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy
them?

I have mentioned it and never been abused for my trouble. I generally say
it's better for me to tell you than a policeman. Riding a motorbike a
while back a car driver followed me into a layby to tell me my brake light
was flashing on and off . I was thankful to him, wouldn't dream of
slagging him off for being helpful.

Old July 12th 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

mileburner wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
JNugent wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear
light/brake light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the
driver to it if safe and practical to do so, or would this be more
likely than not to annoy them?

Although it's an odd thing to have to say, I think it annoys
drivers no matter who tells them things like this, since it
impossible not to make it sound like a criticism.

No,the decent ones will be grateful.

I did this once when on a motorbike, I was politely asked in return
"What TF has it got to do with you?". Now I do not bother.

The answer to that is "Sorry, I just thought I'd let you know before the
police did".

Old July 12th 09, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On Jul 12, 1:54*pm, "Adam Lea" wrote:
If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake light
failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe and
practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy them?

If it *did* annoy them, it would no doubt be because they had a view
of cyclists as car-hating dickheads, and they would only have such a
view because of those car-haters who claim to speak for cyclists as a
whole even though they're more anti-car than pro-cycling (and there
are many such idiots on URC).

If someone who you thought was a car-hating dickhead told you you had
a bulb out, you wouldn't think they were doing it to be helpful; more
likely that they were lying, they did the damage themselves, or they
were just telling you about it so they could have a go. Whereas if
someone who you thought was a reasonable person told you you had a
bulb out, you'd thank them and get it fixed ASAP. So the answer to
the question is that it depends on the driver's perception of cyclists
in general.
Old July 12th 09, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:54:21 +0100, "Adam Lea"
wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake light
failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe and
practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy them?

I do it all the time, especially with goods vehicles and taxis. I
can't recall an inappropriate reaction.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/
simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old July 12th 09, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Adam Lea" wrote in message
news
mileburner wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message

No point in trying to "one-up" on the *******. Smile and wave!

Old July 12th 09, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake
light
failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe and
practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy them?

I do it all the time, especially with goods vehicles and taxis. I
can't recall an inappropriate reaction.

That's because you are *such* a Nice Guy :-)

Old July 12th 09, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

mileburner wrote:
"Adam Lea" wrote in message
news
mileburner wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
JNugent wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear
light/brake light failed is it reasonable to politely alert the
driver to it if safe and practical to do so, or would this be more
likely than not to annoy them?
Although it's an odd thing to have to say, I think it annoys
drivers no matter who tells them things like this, since it
impossible not to make it sound like a criticism.

No,the decent ones will be grateful.
I did this once when on a motorbike, I was politely asked in return
"What TF has it got to do with you?". Now I do not bother.

The answer to that is "Sorry, I just thought I'd let you know before the
police did".

No point in trying to "one-up" on the *******. Smile and wave!

Mileburner, are you sure it's not you're attitude that winds people up?
Several posters have stated that they have no problem at all with
motorists,yet you appear to really hate motorists.
I always try to cycle and drive with courtesy to others,this approach
seems to reap its own rewards.I never encounter such hostility that you
convey.

Bod
Old July 12th 09, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

wrote:

If you are cycling along and notice a car which has a rear light/brake
light
failed is it reasonable to politely alert the driver to it if safe and
practical to do so, or would this be more likely than not to annoy them?

I do it all the time, especially with goods vehicles and taxis. I
can't recall an inappropriate reaction.

That's because you are *such* a Nice Guy :-)

Yup,niceness is generally reciprocated with the same.
Peace and love brother.

Bod

SKS rear light Will Cove UK 5 January 30th 07 09:37 PM
rear light Katharine & Paul Australia 16 September 22nd 06 08:34 AM
Best rear light? elyob UK 17 July 8th 05 08:49 AM
Rear light JBB UK 4 November 27th 04 10:33 AM
Rear Light Sam Salt UK 4 February 26th 04 10:20 PM