If I were Obama I'd pay you to junk your SUV!

Old August 14th 09, 05:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
KingOfTheApes

Default If I were Obama I'd pay you to junk your SUV!

And I would give you a brand new bike up to $500. The actual amount
would be proportional to the size of the SUV: the more junk, the more
money.

Then the chrome rims could be exchanged for penuts, banana or whatever
fuel you need to power your bike. Other components could be exchanged
too, but only for panniers, lights, bells or whatever makes you nice
and comfortable on your bike.

Finally you will agree to take sign that says, "I'm completely free
from the cage, insurance, gas and towing companies."

Peace, Love and... Banana!

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old August 14th 09, 06:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
NM

On 14 Aug, 17:45, KingOfTheApes wrote:
And I would give you a brand new bike up to $500. The actual amount
would be proportional to the size of the SUV: the more junk, the more
money.

Then the chrome rims could be exchanged for penuts, banana or whatever
fuel you need to power your bike. Other components could be exchanged
too, but only for panniers, lights, bells or whatever makes you nice
and comfortable on your bike.

Finally you will agree to take sign that says, "I'm completely free
from the cage, insurance, gas and towing companies."

Why exchange one useful piece of junk for another overpriced useless
one?
Old August 14th 09, 06:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
KingOfTheApes

On Aug 14, 1:02*pm, NM wrote:
On 14 Aug, 17:45, KingOfTheApes wrote:

And I would give you a brand new bike up to $500. The actual amount
would be proportional to the size of the SUV: the more junk, the more
money.

Then the chrome rims could be exchanged for penuts, banana or whatever
fuel you need to power your bike. Other components could be exchanged
too, but only for panniers, lights, bells or whatever makes you nice
and comfortable on your bike.

Finally you will agree to take sign that says, "I'm completely free
from the cage, insurance, gas and towing companies."

Why exchange one useful piece of junk for another overpriced useless
one?

You mean the bike? Even if you consider a bike a piece of junk (some
Huffies and WalMart bikes may be), you can safely say there's little
junk in them... at least compared to a BIG PIECE OF JUNK, such as an
SUV.
Old August 14th 09, 06:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
NM

On 14 Aug, 18:11, KingOfTheApes wrote:
On Aug 14, 1:02*pm, NM wrote:

[...]

The point is, as much as you may hate them, SUVs are useful however a
bike will only ever transport one person a short distance,
additionally that person has to be relatively fit.

It's a no brainer, bikes as primary transport for a family are useless
(masochists and nutters aside).
Old August 14th 09, 06:23 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
KingOfTheApes

On Aug 14, 1:02*pm, NM wrote:

[...]

(masochists and nutters aside).- Hide quoted text -

They don't have to be fit... THEY WILL BE FIT BECAUSE THEY RIDE A
BIKE!

Of course, you prove right the study that couch potatoes are
stupid.

A bicycle is TOTALLY PRACTICAL FOR MOST SHORTER DISTANCES, say under 5
miles. The SUVs are good for some jungle that it's not the real
jungle.
Old August 14th 09, 06:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
KingOfTheApes

Default I would swap you the jeep for a horse

Originally Posted by ritepath
"500 bucks won't buy a bike that worth a crap...now up that to 5000
and I may consider it. If I have a HOS SUV that I didn't mind parting
with. My jeep I need to get at least 8k out of.

Oh and I welded that 6 point cage in....I sure don't want to be free
of it."

***

Don't say that. You can get some decent PRACTICAL bike for under $500.
Say, a foldable Dahon 7spd. Hey, but you can use it as a credit toward
something more fancy.

But I would swap you the jeep for a horse. "Four legged drive."

Old August 14th 09, 10:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
NM

On Aug 14, 1:02*pm, NM wrote:

[...]

So, I'm collecting Grandma with her dodgy hip and Zimmer frame then we
are going to my sisters for her two brats, one a babe in arms to all
go and visit her husband in the convalescent home from where we may
take him and his weelchair to the beach for the afternoon.

How many bikes would I need for this? You continue down the cyclist
trail if you want I prefer my Land Rover simply because its better for
the tasks asked of it.
Old August 15th 09, 12:33 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On Aug 14, 1:02 pm, NM wrote:

[...]

Can you 'Merkins try and keep this discussion to places where spelling
is as simplistic as your politics?

Don't blame all Merkins. There's probably actually only one loon out
there - Comandante Bananaman, Ed Dolan the Numbskull and KingOfTheApes
are probably all nyms of the same individual. They share a common
egotism and a common level of ignorance.

Old August 15th 09, 04:07 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Aug 14, 1:02*pm, NM wrote:

[...]

the tasks asked of it.- Hide quoted text -

That's why the created the MINIVANS.

The SUVs are for people with big egos.
Old August 15th 09, 07:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
NM

On Aug 14, 1:02*pm, NM wrote:

[...]

Minivans went out of production about thirty years ago,