euro jersey sizing (tall & skinny)

Old June 11th 04, 06:34 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Default euro jersey sizing (tall & skinny)

My cycling club is currently preparing to order some long sleeved wool
cycling jerseys, and I'd like to purchase one. Unfortunately, I can't try
one on before I order. They come in "euro sizing"; and they've provided a
sizing chart as follows:

Euro 3 Euro 4 Euro 5
5'0 to 5'6" 5'6" to 5'10" 5'10" and up
135-150 lbs 150-165 lbs 165-180 lbs
36-37 chest 38-39 chest 40-41 chest

I'm roughly 6'2", weigh a little over 150 lbs, and I believe my chest size
is approximately 36-37 (it's possible that I'm measuring wrong, but if so
it's more likely that this is on the high side).

Are there any other tall skinny guys out there with euro sized clothing who
can give me a recommendation? I prefer my jerseys not to hang too loosely
(ideally should be touching my skin everywhere). It's also nice if the
arms are long enough, but as long as they're somewhat reasonable this is a
second priority.

One thought I had was to order the size 4, and look into getting it taken
in if it's annoyingly loose, but I'd prefer not to have to do this if
there's a size that fits better.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
Old June 11th 04, 07:32 PM
Matt O'Toole

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

[...]

That's probably a good plan. Smaller sizes are otherwise proportioned for a
smaller/shorter person, so I wouldn't go there. It's usually pretty easy to
take in the side seams, but the rest will never fit right if you buy a shirt
that's too small for your height. Even with less flesh on your bones, a smaller
size won't match the proportions of your frame.

I have two siblings w/ over 10 years each in haberdashery, so I have a pretty
good idea what works. Yes, I've had the tailor in my brother's store work on my
cycling clothes.

Matt O.

Old June 12th 04, 01:39 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

[...]

Probably the 4. The 5 will be too big in the chest. The 3 will
not have long enough arms and maybe even torso (all the older wool
jerseys I have are long in torso, but newer ones may not be).
The 3 may also be hard to even get into, especially if it doesn't
have a long zipper. Even if, like me, you have a sunken
97-pound-weakling chest, your shoulders are probably still
bigger than the intended wearer of the 3.

Old June 12th 04, 04:06 AM
Chris Neary

I'd lean toward the Euro 5.

I'm 6' & 158 pounds. I have both a Tommaso and Natali jersey in a 5 and they
fit well.

The fit may hinge on your torso length, which could vary from your overall
height.

Good luck!

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old June 12th 04, 09:33 AM
Bert L.

"Benjamin Lewis" schreef in bericht

[...]

There are several types of Euro sizing. Italian sizing is smaller than
German, i.e. an Iti size 5 would be a German 4.
Can you give your figures in metrical sizes, I can't comment on the "alien"
sizing you are providing.

cheers,

bert L. (NL, EU)