Stupid newbie question about lightening bike

Old August 30th 03, 06:40 PM
*John*

Default Stupid newbie question about lightening bike

This is a link to the bike I'm currently riding......a Specialized
Stumpjumper FSR disk.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...Disc&bl=mounta
in&JServSessionIdroot=39xd210bas.j27004

While I'm really happy with my purchase and like the way this bike
rides......it weighs in around 30 lbs. and sometimes feels like it weighs a
metric ton when I'm trying to climb a hill. I'd like to lighten this thing
up. Being the newbie that I am, I'm asking for advise on what I might want
to look at switching out/changing. Any advise is appreciated, but feel free
to laugh and point at the newbie idiot.

Thanks,

John

Old August 30th 03, 07:17 PM

Lighter wheels,lighter shock,lighter tires,lighter
tubes,lighter seat,lighter seatpost, lighter handlebars,ligjht
crank,lighter pedals, lighter cassette,lighter brakes,lighter
derailleurs, lighter BB,lighter bolts,lighter,lighter grips,light- er
QRs,lighter chainrings, lighter chain,lighter shifters,lighter frame,
lighter stem, lighter headset,lighter fork,lighter you. Now that you
spent all that cash don't you think you should have gotten a lighter
bike to begin with.

Fire up MTB 03

Old August 30th 03, 07:28 PM
Destroy

*John* wrote:
This is a link to the bike I'm currently riding......a Specialized
Stumpjumper FSR disk.

it weighs in around 30 lbs. and sometimes feels like it weighs a
metric ton when I'm trying to climb a hill.

I dunno, you truly feel you'll notice an improved difference when you're
done removing the weight of what, 3-5 lbs, at the tune of at least $1000
(probably more like $2000)? You plan on racing? I say run what ya brung
till its broke. 30lbs is not that heavy at all.

I'm no expert but I believe usually new wheels, hubs and tire setup for
most weight loss at once.

Also, less drag maybe all you're really seeking. Try upping your tire
pressure, keep drivetrain well lubed, and maybe try some thinner tires.

Good luck.

Old August 30th 03, 08:16 PM
Gman

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:28:35 GMT, Destroy wrote:
*John* wrote:
This is a link to the bike I'm currently riding......a Specialized
Stumpjumper FSR disk.

it weighs in around 30 lbs. and sometimes feels like it weighs a
metric ton when I'm trying to climb a hill.

I dunno, you truly feel you'll notice an improved difference when you're
done removing the weight of what, 3-5 lbs, at the tune of at least $1000
(probably more like $2000)? You plan on racing? I say run what ya brung
till its broke. 30lbs is not that heavy at all.

I'm no expert but I believe usually new wheels, hubs and tire setup for
most weight loss at once.

Also, less drag maybe all you're really seeking. Try upping your tire
pressure, keep drivetrain well lubed, and maybe try some thinner tires.

Good luck.

I agree. It's a lot cheaper for me to take 5 lbs
off my a$$ than the bike.

My K2 EVO tips in at well over 30lbs and I find it
climbs like a goat. Personally I'm a little
scared of ultra-light bikes...I don't want nuthin'
snappin' off on me. If I buy a new FS it will be
a 30lb Kona Dawg.

One thing I might look at is tire selection. Get
some that provide enough traction, but also offer
an easy rolling resistance. Everyone has their
faves. I'm running the WTB Mutano Raptors right
now and they roll well, but I'm not overly
enthralled with their cornering ability on the
sandy loose trails here.

The Geax Sedonas that came w/ the bike worked very
well for traction and rolling resistance.

Those Panaracer Fire XC tires seem to be awful
popular too, but I've got no experience with them.

Good luck,
Old August 30th 03, 08:35 PM
D T W .../\\...

"*John*" wrote in message
ink.net...
This is a link to the bike I'm currently riding......a Specialized
Stumpjumper FSR disk.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...Disc&bl=mounta
in&JServSessionIdroot=39xd210bas.j27004

While I'm really happy with my purchase and like the way this bike
rides......it weighs in around 30 lbs. and sometimes feels like it weighs

metric ton when I'm trying to climb a hill. I'd like to lighten this thing
up. Being the newbie that I am, I'm asking for advise on what I might want
to look at switching out/changing. Any advise is appreciated, but feel

free
to laugh and point at the newbie idiot.

Thanks,

John

If your new at this, do you really think that you'll notice the difference
if you take 3 lbs off of the bike.

Your wallet will be a lot lighter.
--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Old August 30th 03, 10:28 PM
Cameron

*John* wrote:
[...]

My '99 K2 '3000' EVO weighs in at about 32-33 lbs.
It is a good climber, but my problem is that I don't ride
consistently enough to stay in shape.

One thing I might look at is tire selection. Get
some that provide enough traction, but also offer
an easy rolling resistance. Everyone has their
faves. I'm running the WTB Mutano Raptors right
now and they roll well, but I'm not overly
enthralled with their cornering ability on the
sandy loose trails here.

The Geax Sedonas that came w/ the bike worked very
well for traction and rolling resistance.

I have the Geax Sedonas 2.25" as my summer tires. Don't
work very well in sticky mud, but I found that they are great
when it comes to sand, loose rocks, rocks, roots, fords, just
about anything except Bellingham muck.

--
Cameron

Old August 30th 03, 10:36 PM
Stephen Baker

This is a classic example of something that needs the Detroit Solution (tm).
If it's too slow, put in a bigger motor.

(i.e. go train, and train some more, and soon you won't notice the weight of
the bike.)

Steve
Old August 31st 03, 03:43 AM
deluxe model

"Super Slinky" wrote in message
t...
*John* said...

This is a link to the bike I'm currently riding......a Specialized
Stumpjumper FSR disk.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...Disc&bl=mounta
in&JServSessionIdroot=39xd210bas.j27004

While I'm really happy with my purchase and like the way this bike
rides......it weighs in around 30 lbs. and sometimes feels like it

weighs a
metric ton when I'm trying to climb a hill. I'd like to lighten this

thing
up. Being the newbie that I am, I'm asking for advise on what I might

want
to look at switching out/changing. Any advise is appreciated, but feel

free
to laugh and point at the newbie idiot.

Thanks,

John

Don't worry about upgrading parts that aren't giving you any grief. You
will spend plenty of money on replacing parts that really need it. Get
nice light parts to replace the ones that are screwing up. Besides 30
lbs isn't that bad. You could build a Titus Racer-X with all the best
parts and you would be lucky to end up much less than 25 lbs. You could
lose that much weight with one week of dieting and it wouldn't cost you
a thing.

Yep, I found in the past, the best way to drop weight from my bike, was from
my fat ass.

17 to go.....

Old September 6th 03, 09:09 AM
Mr. E. Mann

munch

If your new at this, do you really think that you'll notice the
difference if you take 3 lbs off of the bike.

Yes, you will! Most important place you will want to remove weight from the
bike is the wheels. Get a light set of wheels and tires and you should
notice a difference in the way it climbs. also, you're going to wan tto
replace the cranks after you bend them (and you will).

Other good places to remove weight is at the bars, stem, seat, casette,
forks and frame. I can't say specifically for this bike, because I don't
know the weight of all the components, but this is a general area where
they skimp on cheaper bikes from my experiences.
Old September 8th 03, 02:56 PM
Mark \(UK\)

"Mr. E. Mann" wrote in message
munch

If your new at this, do you really think that you'll notice the
difference if you take 3 lbs off of the bike.

Yes, you will! Most important place you will want to remove weight from

the
bike is the wheels. Get a light set of wheels and tires and you should
notice a difference in the way it climbs. also, you're going to wan tto
replace the cranks after you bend them (and you will).

Other good places to remove weight is at the bars, stem, seat, casette,
forks and frame.

Well thats a relief, at least he can still keep his chain...

I can't say specifically for this bike, because I don't
know the weight of all the components, but this is a general area where
they skimp on cheaper bikes from my experiences.

Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores? James Lynx General 112 June 5th 04 01:22 PM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Glacier Point Magna 26" Bike Repair Question sandy Mountain Biking 8 July 21st 03 02:21 PM