shoes for platforms?

Old September 1st 04, 08:33 PM
jack

I was in Whistler in the summer and I decided to try platforms for the

first
time in the park. I had some cheapies from MEC in Vancouver and bought

some
DUFFS skate shoes in Footlocker in the village.

Muggins here gets on the lift (for his first ever run in the park) with

his
duffs and his cheap platforms and decides "hey A line can't be all that
bad... I'll give it a go"

So I made it to the bottom, barely, jeez not being attached to the bike is
straaaaannnnggggee when you're used to spuds.

That's why I switched from spds to flats. You learn how to ride the bike
with your upper body and become one with the bike rather than being attached
to the bike. I can go bigger on the drops and jumps and stay in control
rather than just being stuck to the bike with body to far forward or
backward and crashing.

I do use spds when racing XC.

Old September 1st 04, 09:06 PM
Carla A-G

" " wrote in message
Currently using some cheapo wellgo bmx shoes on platoforms, but my
arches hurt after really rocky, bumpy rides. Does anyone know of a
good nylon or other reinforced-sole shoe that has sticky rubber for good
traction on my platforms (ringle zuzu)?? My current shoes are similar to
vans....

I like riding platforms and am not planning on switching to clipless,
but need to figure out a solution here....

I have a pair of Specialized Fatboy shoes that I use for DH and
streetriding. They don't make them anymore, but they have held up very well
and have stiff soles that re-inforce the heel and arch. Maybe you can find
them on closeout somewhere? They are well worth if you can find them...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 2nd 04, 01:37 AM
R.White

ireman_1 wrote in message ...
]Currently using some cheapo wellgo bmx shoes
on platoforms, but my
arches hurt after really rocky, bumpy rides. Does anyone know of a
good nylon or other reinforced-sole shoe that has sticky rubber for

good
traction on my platforms (ringle zuzu)?? My current shoes are similar

vans....

I like riding platforms and am not planning on switching to clipless,
but need to figure out a solution here....

Thanks,
-nathan

661 makes bmx-type shoe that you can either/or not set-up for clipless.
I tried them on (13 a bit too tight), didn't buy them, but they seemed
OK (in the store). I just tried on (late last week) some performance
bmx looking shoes and they were fine as well (13 fit fine), stiff sole;
the laces were long as hell though (?).

When running platforms I've been using Adidas Torrent skate shoes for
awhile. They are "semi-stiff" (not like spd shoes), have a sticky
sole, and can take a lot of abuse. I used to wear an old pair of
Simples (long long ago in a land far far away) when using platforms and
suffered the same thing as you until switching to the Adidas skate/bmx
shoes.

If you have an Adidas outlet near you I just (late last week) bought
another pair of Torrents for under $35. Not that all stores have all
shoes, but they will often "trade" shoes between stores.

Hey, I just checked and Pricepoint has 661 shoes w/Ringle' ZuZu pedals
for $75; doesn't seem too bad (?). Good luck.

ZuZu's have a habit of breaking when they strike an object due to
their
being open ended if you follow me.

See:

http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/MTB/Components/images/zuzus.jpg

and notice how the ends are open without any cross pieces.

Then look at the Weyless:

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=24296&lsubcat_id=1811&lcat_id =7604&referpage=

and notice how the ends have cross pieces.

I use and recommend DK Iron Cross myself.

http://www.jebikes.com/PartReviews/dk_iron_cross_pedals.shtml

They are on the heavy side though.
Old September 2nd 04, 03:51 AM
gazzer

I like riding platforms and am not planning on switching to clipless,
but need to figure out a solution here....

Thanks,
-nathan

My AXO flat shoes have lasted me for nearly 4 years, the back of sole
has just fallen offthe other day. As Axo are now 661 I'd say get some
of those. The sole was just stiff enough and the toe box was very
protective, which is essential.

Old September 2nd 04, 07:13 AM
S o r n i

When I was in high school, I played in a soul band horn section (trombone).

We all had to wear white patent leather platform shoes.

Bill "back to your regularly scheduled postings" S.

PS: It's hard to find TWO LEFT shoes like that

Old September 2nd 04, 01:54 PM
tcmedara

S o r n i wrote:
When I was in high school, I played in a soul band horn section
(trombone).

We all had to wear white patent leather platform shoes.

Bill "back to your regularly scheduled postings" S.

PS: It's hard to find TWO LEFT shoes like that

No wonder the band guys got all the chicks in HS! Oh wait....

Tom (wasn't in the band)

Old September 2nd 04, 02:08 PM
Carla A-G

"R.White" wrote in message
om...

ZuZu's have a habit of breaking when they strike an object due to
their
being open ended if you follow me.

I've been using a set of ZuZu's for many years now. I've banged them and
crashed them plenty of times and used them on several of my bikes (they
started on my bmx and are now on my DH bike). Never had a single problem
with them...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 2nd 04, 02:17 PM
bomba

S o r n i wrote:

When I was in high school, I played in a soul band horn section (trombone).

We all had to wear white patent leather platform shoes.

I'm having trouble picturing this. Could you please put up a photo of
yourself in said platform shoes.

Old September 2nd 04, 03:05 PM
supabonbon

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message . ..
RE/

I like riding platforms and am not planning on switching to clipless,
but need to figure out a solution here...

I like the the sound of other posters' idea of skateboard shoes.

For my size 15's, however, I've been using lightweight hiking shoes and been
happy most of the time. The trick is to find a rigid-enough sole, but with out
extreme lugs. The lugs and spaces between them tend to make the shoe
self-align on the pedal pegs in undesireable ways...

That's size 15 european, right?

/s
Old September 2nd 04, 03:51 PM
bomba

Carla A-G wrote:

ZuZu's have a habit of breaking when they strike an object due to
their
being open ended if you follow me.

I've been using a set of ZuZu's for many years now. I've banged them and
crashed them plenty of times and used them on several of my bikes (they
started on my bmx and are now on my DH bike). Never had a single problem
with them...

I had a set of similar old-style DMR V12 pedals (all churned out from the
same factory, right?), and I did break them in the manner Rick described.
Intensely annoying: they were 50 quid, only a couple of weeks old and I
couldn't even get a set of replacement bodies. I replaced them with a set
of cheaper, but similarly styled S&M pedals. Within a few weeks I'd broken
them in the same place too.

Now, all the platform pedals I buy have to have a support section between
the ends of the platforms - Primo currently gets my custom.