Anquetil and the rise of drugs

Old July 27th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dumbass

Default Anquetil and the rise of drugs

He won the tour 5 times, the last in 1965, seeming to improve with
age.

Anquetil took the hour record in 1956. He broke his own record 11
years
later but it was disallowed because he refused a drug test.

About drug testing, he said: "You can't ride the Tour de France on
mineral water"

Old July 27th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 27, 2:46 pm, Dumbass wrote:
He won the tour 5 times, the last in 1965, seeming to improve with
age.

Anquetil took the hour record in 1956. He broke his own record 11
years
later but it was disallowed because he refused a drug test.

About drug testing, he said: "You can't ride the Tour de France on
mineral water"

Thanks for getting it all wrong. The peloton will shortly be riding
past his memorial http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8_Anquetil.jpg
If I'm not mistaken, the inscription is inspired by the one on the
Pantheon.

-ilan
Old July 27th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dumbass

past his memorialhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Ch%C3%A2teaufort_7...
If I'm not mistaken, the inscription is inspired by the one on the
Pantheon.

-ilan

His last tdf win was 64, I did get that wrong.

But what else? I double check it all after your claim.
Old July 27th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
JS[_2_]

I think the reason why he said that was because mineral water made him burp
a lot. I personally prefer "sans gas" when I'm riding.

Old July 27th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

Dumbass wrote:
He won the tour 5 times, the last in 1965, seeming to improve with
age.

Anquetil took the hour record in 1956. He broke his own record 11
years
later but it was disallowed because he refused a drug test.

About drug testing, he said: "You can't ride the Tour de France on
mineral water"

Stommeling,

Google 'londres dynamite pelissier'. Dope has always been there.

Bob Schwartz
Old July 27th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:24:24 -0500, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

Google 'londres dynamite pelissier'. Dope has always been there.

Wow.

Old July 27th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 27, 6:14 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Is there another inscription on the back side? "The world-renowned
cyclist" doesn't seem literary enough to have been inspired by anything.

Your translation is incorrect. The inscription says: "A Jacques
Anquetil, le monde cycliste reconnaissant". The Pantheon inscription
is: "Aux grands hommes, la patrie reconnaissante".

-ilan
Old July 27th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
On Jul 27, 6:14 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Is there another inscription on the back side? "The world-renowned
cyclist" doesn't seem literary enough to have been inspired by anything.

Your translation is incorrect. The inscription says: "A Jacques
Anquetil, le monde cycliste reconnaissant". The Pantheon inscription
is: "Aux grands hommes, la patrie reconnaissante".

Ilan - how about an educated translation? To me that looks simply like
"Recognizing The World Cyclist" which I'm sure doesn't make a whole lot of
sense.

Old July 27th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 27, 11:10 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
wrote in message

On Jul 27, 6:14 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Is there another inscription on the back side? "The world-renowned
cyclist" doesn't seem literary enough to have been inspired by anything.

Your translation is incorrect. The inscription says: "A Jacques
Anquetil, le monde cycliste reconnaissant". The Pantheon inscription
is: "Aux grands hommes, la patrie reconnaissante".

Ilan - how about an educated translation? To me that looks simply like
"Recognizing The World Cyclist" which I'm sure doesn't make a whole lot of
sense.

I can't think of a direct translation for the word "reconnaissant".
The best I can do is: "To Jacques Anquetil, the cycling world
recognizes your achievements and is grateful." The same for the
Pantheon with Anquetil - great men, cycling world - nation.

-ilan

Shades of Anquetil B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 17th 06 05:01 PM
Remembering Anquetil Callistus Valerius Racing 10 July 19th 05 03:41 AM
To rise or not to rise GWood Mountain Biking 6 June 17th 05 09:53 AM
CBS docs on Anquetil. Callistus Valerius Racing 3 September 21st 04 01:00 PM
ARMSTRONG is to ANQUETIL as... 52TeethNoCavities Racing 4 July 4th 04 10:25 PM