Trangia users

Old July 29th 04, 12:27 PM
Ian

Default Trangia users

Old July 29th 04, 02:07 PM
cfsmtb

Ian Wrote:

They're all closet metho drinkers*...

*that was Bikesoilers suggestion, not mine.

--
cfsmtb

low earth orbit around Melbourne, Australia

Old July 30th 04, 01:49 AM
Mike

Ian wrote:

OMFG! What is the net coming to. A mail list for Trangias!?
Yes they are nice. Loved by bushwalkers and cycle tourists
alike. But how much can you say? Are there not plently of
places, on and offline, to discuss already?
Old July 30th 04, 11:49 AM
Around Australia Recumbent Style

"Mike" wrote in message
Ian wrote:

OMFG! What is the net coming to. A mail list for Trangias!?
Yes they are nice. Loved by bushwalkers and cycle tourists
alike. But how much can you say? Are there not plently of
places, on and offline, to discuss already?

Maybe not that much to talk about, but maybe hints & tips for use around the
world, where to get meths around the world, and of course, the all important
recipes for hungry touring cyclists might be a good topic - just to mention
a few. And lets face it, it couldn't be any worse than some of the crap
people go on with on this and other NG's - could it?

regards

Andrew

http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooke...leTouring.html

Old July 31st 04, 11:17 AM
Mike

Around Australia Recumbent Style wrote:

Maybe not that much to talk about, but maybe hints & tips for use around the
world, where to get meths around the world, and of course, the all important

Why not start a thread here? They are very popular in the Perth
cycle-touring assoc. (Have you been along? I dont recognise the name.)
I just can't see a dedicated mailing-list lasting long.

OK. Metho can be hard to find in North America, but the hardest part is
finding what its called. Ask for "methyl hydrate" in a hardware store.

recipes for hungry touring cyclists might be a good topic - just to mention

The old dehydrated "pasta & sauce" packets are good, but lack protein.
Try dry TVP, with stock cubes for flavour.

a few. And lets face it, it couldn't be any worse than some of the crap
people go on with on this and other NG's - could it?

:-) Not mentioning any particular subjects, of course.

http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooke...leTouring.html

Great website. Inspiring. Thanks.

Old July 31st 04, 11:36 AM
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:17:43 +0800
Mike wrote:
Around Australia Recumbent Style wrote:

recipes for hungry touring cyclists might be a good topic - just to mention

The old dehydrated "pasta & sauce" packets are good, but lack protein.
Try dry TVP, with stock cubes for flavour.

Or get a dehydrator and make your own.

Dehydrate vegies, get some dried meat or fish from the asian grocery, or
dehydrate your own. Carry spices in sachets. When you camp, put the
dehydrated stuff in a billy of water, and go off and shower and so on
for a couple of hours. When you come back, heat the water and cook the
rehydrated food. Rice is useful too, take quick cook rice and use that
for carbs.

The commercial stuff is expensive, and not particularly nice, at least
not the ones I've had. Making your own is cheap and easy, and ends up
being very tasty.

You don't need a commercial dehydrator if you just want to experiment,
you can dry the stuff in the oven. Low heat, door open.

Zebee
Old August 1st 04, 10:31 AM

Mike wrote:
[...]

That's a great idea. We did some dehydrating before we left Atherton and had
steak, corned beef, chicken, vegetables and of course, dried Mango for our
mid morning snacks. We found we didn't have to re-hydrate the food, just
boiled it up on the Trangia and there it was, a great meal fit for two
hungry touring cyclists, and the Mango was just divine as a mid morning
snack.

Old August 1st 04, 10:33 AM

"Mike" wrote in message
Around Australia Recumbent Style wrote:

SNIP

Why not start a thread here? They are very popular in the Perth
cycle-touring assoc. (Have you been along? I dont recognise the name.)
I just can't see a dedicated mailing-list lasting long.

G'day Mike.
No, I haven't been along, in fact, I wasn't aware that there was one. I'll
have to search them out. Thanks for the tip. Do they have a website?

Old August 2nd 04, 03:26 AM
Mike

Default Perth Cycl-Touring Assoc, was Trangia users

Around Australia Recumbent Style wrote:
ad here? They are very popular in the Perth
cycle-touring assoc. (Have you been along?

G'day Mike.
No, I haven't been along, in fact, I wasn't aware that there was one. I'll
have to search them out. Thanks for the tip. Do they have a website?

They do, but its a bit outdated. and ask for
the current program. There should be a PDF version soon.

http://www.ctawa.asn.au

They do rides most Sundays. Occassional meetings and pannier tours.

Shall I book you both in to speak at the next meeting?

Old August 2nd 04, 11:59 AM

"Mike" wrote in message
Around Australia Recumbent Style wrote:
ad here? They are very popular in the Perth
cycle-touring assoc. (Have you been along?

G'day Mike.
No, I haven't been along, in fact, I wasn't aware that there was one.

I'll
have to search them out. Thanks for the tip. Do they have a website?

They do, but its a bit outdated. and ask for
the current program. There should be a PDF version soon.

http://www.ctawa.asn.au

They do rides most Sundays. Occassional meetings and pannier tours.

Shall I book you both in to speak at the next meeting?

Thanks for the offer. I don't think we could inspire anyone, but if there is
enough of an interest, we might just have a go at the questions and answers
thing if anyone is really interested. We did a couple of "show and tell" at
some schools on the trip and they were fun. Not sure how we'd go talking to
experienced adult tourers.
Let me know when & where, but no promises.

regards

Andrew