New tape On Handlebars

Old August 5th 04, 08:12 AM
Dbr555

Default New tape On Handlebars

My road bike needs new tape on the handlebars.
Is it easy to put on yourself ?
I am very impatient, and I always stuffup when I regrip my tennis raquette.

Or how much would a bike shop charge to do it professionally ?

Thankyou kindly,

Old August 5th 04, 08:59 AM
flyingdutch

Dbr555 Wrote:
My road bike needs new tape on the handlebars.
Is it easy to put on yourself ?
I am very impatient, and I always stuffup when I regrip my tennis
raquette.

Or how much would a bike shop charge to do it professionally ?

Thankyou kindly,

start at the ends and work your way back to the centres. I never get
it right first time. If you start at the centres you create
upward-facing edges that your hands will peel back with time. 50%
overlap works for me usually.

--
flyingdutch

Old August 5th 04, 10:32 AM
Spider1977

It took me a couple of goes to get it right. Keep the tension on the
tape and be careful around the brake hoods. If you unsure I'm sure
your LBS will show you how to do it. Remember to put the plugs in when
you finish.

--
Spider1977

Old August 6th 04, 09:40 AM
NickZX6R

Dbr555 wrote:
My road bike needs new tape on the handlebars.
Is it easy to put on yourself ?
I am very impatient, and I always stuffup when I regrip my tennis raquette.

Or how much would a bike shop charge to do it professionally ?

Thankyou kindly,

Start at the end of the drops and wrap the tape flush with the
end of the handlebar almost all the way round. Then continue wrapping
the tape about half overlapped. Make sure you keep good tension on the
tape as you wrap it.

Cinelli tape comes with reasonable instructions including how to wrap
around the levers. It's a bit hard to explain but you sort of wrap the
tape in a figure of eight around the shifter, after putting the short
straight bits[1] on the side of the shifter.

If you bugger it up gently unwrap the tape and you should be able to
fix it. Also, if you find the tape is little bit short to cover the
bars, unwrap it and stretch it out a bit while you're rewrapping.

Yes....I have wrapped lots of drop bars over the years

[1] When you buy the bar tape, you'll also get two extra strips of tape
about 10cm long. You cut them in half and stick a piece on each side of
the shifters before wrapping the rest of the bar.

Cheers.
--
Nick
Old August 7th 04, 10:13 AM
mfhor

NickZX6R Wrote:
Dbr555 wrote:
[...]

Bontrager tape gets two thumbs up from me as the best I've used in the
last little while. Cinelli has deteriorated into second-rate crap
lately. Come AAAWWWN! Flame-o-RAMA!!!! Bring it AAAWWWN!!! Just my 2c
worth, really . . . . Gist is pretty good, too.

--
mfhor