Critical Mass Chinese style

Old March 25th 07, 03:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

Default Critical Mass Chinese style

I'm at the end of a long week in Hangzhou in China (work related
stuff) and I've finally had the chance to get out and about and it's
been a very enlightening experience. I'm sure it's nowhere near where
it was 10 years ago, but the sheer number of cyclists is amazing! The
number of cars/trucks/buses seemed comparable to many places in
Australia but given the almost total disregard for road rules (if
there are any! Traffic lights seemed to be treated as gentle hints
rather than instructions) the way the traffic integrates was mind
blowing. Bikes, cars, buses and pedestrians all weave their way along/
across the road quite happily and if one gets in the way of another,
one or both will give way to the other (regardless of size).

I nipped up to Shanghai yesterday and it's fairly similar there
(though maybe a little less laid back). Maybe if Critical Mass here
involved 50% of the road users and lasted all day, every day, then it
might achieve its stated aim :-)

Apparently they've banned wee 2 stroke mopeds so the place is over-run
by loads of almost silent battery powered mopeds. They're great wee
things, I've been tempted to buy one as they only cost about $200 but
the hassle of exporting/importing one to Oz would be too great fo my
level of temptation.

I've seen a couple of nifty Dahon folders ridden around which
apparently sell for a reasonable price here, but unfortunately I've
not found a bike shop :-(

Graeme

Old March 26th 07, 12:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article . com,
"Graeme Dods" wrote:

[...]

I think the thing there is that just about everyone have commuted on a
bike at some stage of their life and have members of the family who
still do. So the drivers well know the perspective of cyclists.
Old March 26th 07, 12:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_76_]

Graeme Dods Wrote:

Bikes, cars, buses and pedestrians all weave their way along/
across the road quite happily and if one gets in the way of another,
one or both will give way to the other (regardless of size).

US Bicycle designer George Bliss came up with the term "Critical Mass"
via this watching this method of traffic movement, track down a copy of
Return of the Scorcher for more. Until then proto-CM rides in San
Fransciso were known as "Commuter Clod". (ecchh!)

http://www.tedwhitegreenlight.com/scorcher.htm

--
cfsmtb

Old March 26th 07, 03:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On Mar 26, 7:27 am, Artoi wrote:
I think the thing there is that just about everyone have commuted on a
bike at some stage of their life and have members of the family who
still do. So the drivers well know the perspective of cyclists.

That makes sense. Another thing that struck me was how much car horns
are used, but not in the typical western way of "out of my way
****er!" but a very relaxed "I just thought you might like to know I'm
here" style. You'd almost have thought that was what they were
originally designed for ;-)

Graeme

Old March 27th 07, 01:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2007-03-26, Graeme Dods wrote:
Another thing that struck me was how much car horns
are used, but not in the typical western way of "out of my way
****er!" but a very relaxed "I just thought you might like to know I'm
here" style. You'd almost have thought that was what they were
originally designed for ;-)

Yes, they like that horn. I was working in Fuzhou back in 1995. After a late
night at work I caught a taxi back to the hotel at about 2 in the morning. The
road was almost deserted, the nearest oncoming car half a kilometre away, but
the cabbie still leant on the horn before turning across the road into the hotel
driveway.

--
John
If you wanna end war and stuff, you gotta sing loud! - Arlo Guthrie
Old March 28th 07, 12:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article . com,
"Graeme Dods" wrote:

but a very relaxed "I just thought you might like to know I'm
here" style. You'd almost have thought that was what they were
originally designed for ;-)

Yes, it can drive you crazy if you aren't used to it. But the thing
about that is that the intended message varies by the length of the beep.
Old March 28th 07, 01:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Brendo

On Mar 28, 7:49 am, Artoi wrote:
In article . com,
"Graeme Dods" wrote:

but a very relaxed "I just thought you might like to know I'm
here" style. You'd almost have thought that was what they were
originally designed for ;-)

Yes, it can drive you crazy if you aren't used to it. But the thing
about that is that the intended message varies by the length of the beep.
--

Was in PNG last year, and it seems to be a similar situation. Anything
is legal, as long as you beep first. But, you get used to it. And I

Brendo