Bike tube etiquette

Old March 22nd 07, 07:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

Default Bike tube etiquette

When a stranded cyclist asks if you have a spare tube, and you do, and
you're far from anywhere, of course the right thing to do is give them
a tube rather than leaving them stranded or having to walk a long
distance home...

But tubes cost money. As a random act of kindness I suppose its a
minor expense though and I wouldn't demand money up front from a
stranded cyclist.

But when the person pulls out their tire changing tools, and among
them is a bag of coins with maybe $20, is it then generally ok, if
they haven't already volunteered, as the person the other day didn't,
to ask for a few bucks to cover the cost of the tube you've just given
them?

Am I just being a scrooge here or would most people tactfully ask for
an "at cost" payment for the tube they are offering? Does it make any
difference if the person asking for a tube is on a bling racing bike
in full cycling regalia, as opposed to some wretched looking schmo on
a rusty mountain bike...

Travis (who didn't ask for payment, and is a bit annoyed he wasn't
offered any!)

Old March 22nd 07, 08:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gravelmuncher[_20_]

Ok. If I had 2 spares, I'd give them one and not ask for payment - yet
if they offered to give me $5 I'd take it.

However, if I only had 1 spare (as is usually the case) i'd let them
use my phone to call someone. If they're too damn careless to carry a
spare tube, then i'm not gonna donate mine.

I'd be so p1ss3d off if I gave someone my only spare, then flatted, and
then the next bike that came along was the one to which i'd just donated
the spare.

Which brings up a NEW ethical dilemma. Would it - in THIS situation -
be wrong to ask for the tube BACK ??

gm

--
gravelmuncher

Old March 22nd 07, 08:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 22, 5:10 pm, "Travis" wrote:
[...]

Travis, don't worry about it. More than once when I've been in that
situation, people have refused money, so why would I ask for it? What
goes around comes around. Other times I've known the person and been
able to give them a new tube later. Besides, if you're a real scrooge,
you need never buy a tube - there are many wackers around who just
toss away a tube on the first puncture. Keep your eyes open and pick
them up, then repair them at home. I usually keep mine until they have
numerous repairs and finally get a big cut. (Maybe this tire litter is
just a QLD thing - wouldn't surprise me - for all the carry on, they
don't mind destroying the place).

Donga

Old March 22nd 07, 09:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Halcyon

Travis wrote:
[...]

If their tube was repairable and I wasn't in a hurry I would offer to
repair it - that's why we carry a repair kit. If not repairable offer
your tube. If they obviously have cash with them and don't offer to pay
I think they should be told that tubes cost money and hopefully they
will feel some shame and cough up. Otherwise, as Donga says, 'what goes
around, comes around'. Doesn't stop it being annoying though.
Living on a highway we used to get this a lot with car drivers running
out of petrol, but mobile phones have stopped that.
Halcyon
Old March 22nd 07, 09:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Travis wrote:

[...]

Do you think he got that nice new bike by paying for tubes?
Old March 22nd 07, 09:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ACP[_4_]

I have had this experience, but from the other viewpoint! Twice I have
had multiple flats and only one tube and have asked a guy riding by if
he has a spare tube. Both times the guy has said "No problem" and given
me a tube... which I reckon is fantastic and great karma!

Each time I asked the guy who his LBS was and then I dropped by the
shop, bought a tube and left it there for him to pick up. I guess I
wanted to show these guys that I really appreciated them putting
themselves out for me... particularly as they may then have had a flat
themselves and been without a tube!

I agree that the ye ole puncture kit is still a winner tho!

--
ACP

Old March 22nd 07, 09:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jazmo[_8_]

I'd say carry self adhesive patches and offer one to someone stranded.

--
jazmo

Old March 22nd 07, 10:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gravelmuncher[_21_]

Each time I asked the guy who his LBS was and then I dropped by the
shop, bought a tube and left it there for him to pick up.

That's cool.

gm

--
gravelmuncher

Old March 22nd 07, 03:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BrettS

gravelmuncher wrote:
Ok. If I had 2 spares, I'd give them one and not ask for payment - yet
if they offered to give me $5 I'd take it.

However, if I only had 1 spare (as is usually the case) i'd let them
use my phone to call someone. If they're too damn careless to carry a
spare tube, then i'm not gonna donate mine.

I agree. Of course, I would offer them the use of my puncture kit.

Mind you, walking home when you've got a flat and no spare is character
building. You'll never die of too much character...

--
BrettS

Old March 22nd 07, 07:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:18:12 +1100
gravelmuncher wrote:

However, if I only had 1 spare (as is usually the case) i'd let them
use my phone to call someone. If they're too damn careless to carry a
spare tube, then i'm not gonna donate mine.

Being a commuter, I carry a puncture kit as well as tubes. (plural
because I have a 26" and a 20" wheel.) And I've needed it. Got 3
punctures in 500 yards once, decided that meant God was telling me not
to go to work that day.... So I fixed #3, rode home (puncture free)
and called in sick.

Zebee

Road bike etiquette rowman UK 44 April 16th 06 06:31 PM
Tube etiquette Michael Warner Australia 48 July 22nd 05 12:41 PM
what is under the down tube of this bike? John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 15 July 18th 05 12:30 AM
Bottom bracket shell, head-tube tube, angles? Simon Brooke UK 13 June 3rd 05 06:19 PM
WTB: Cross bike, approx 51 seat tube, 53 top tube. the catfish Marketplace 0 May 8th 05 05:45 PM