Moaning Minnie

Old February 17th 05, 09:29 PM
David Martin

Default Moaning Minnie

Someone has just emailed one of the lists at work complaining about the
cost of car parking on campus and the imminent loss of car parking
spaces. Apparently car parking now costs 122 quid per year and she
thought it was unfair.

I do too. I suggested she should be taxed on teh residual benefit and if
she didn't like the exortionate cost of the universities car parking
charges, she could always abandon the universities car parking and use
the next door council lot instead. Or park further away and walk for a
bit. Or even try a different form of transport.

I doubt she'll reply.

...d
Old February 17th 05, 10:10 PM
JLB

David Martin wrote:
Someone has just emailed one of the lists at work complaining about the
cost of car parking on campus and the imminent loss of car parking
spaces. Apparently car parking now costs 122 quid per year and she
thought it was unfair.

I do too. I suggested she should be taxed on teh residual benefit and if
she didn't like the exortionate cost of the universities car parking
charges, she could always abandon the universities car parking and use
the next door council lot instead. Or park further away and walk for a
bit. Or even try a different form of transport.

I doubt she'll reply.

Oh, I think you might be surprised. Where I worked a while ago there was
a similar issue. When somebody challenged the assumption that being
given a car park space on the doorstep of one's place of work was an
inalienable right, there was an extraordinary outraged response from the
car commuters.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap
Old February 17th 05, 10:17 PM
Tony Raven

David Martin wrote:
Someone has just emailed one of the lists at work complaining about the
cost of car parking on campus and the imminent loss of car parking
spaces. Apparently car parking now costs 122 quid per year and she
thought it was unfair.

I have heard Universities defined as "a group of people bound together
by a common obsession with car parking"

Tony
Old February 18th 05, 09:14 AM
Richard

David Martin wrote:
Someone has just emailed one of the lists at work complaining about the
cost of car parking on campus and the imminent loss of car parking
spaces. Apparently car parking now costs 122 quid per year and she
thought it was unfair.

I do too. I suggested she should be taxed on teh residual benefit

Sorry to be dim, but what's the "residual benefit", and how is it taxed?
Old February 18th 05, 09:40 AM
David Martin

On 18/2/05 9:14 am, in article , "Richard"
wrote:

David Martin wrote:
Someone has just emailed one of the lists at work complaining about the
cost of car parking on campus and the imminent loss of car parking
spaces. Apparently car parking now costs 122 quid per year and she
thought it was unfair.

I do too. I suggested she should be taxed on teh residual benefit

Sorry to be dim, but what's the "residual benefit", and how is it taxed?

AIUI, If the employer provides a benefit, such as a company car, then the
value of this benefit can be taken into account when calculating your income
tax. In this case there is an intrinsic value in having a parking space (cf.
the council car park next door which charges far more) and the payment made
for this is much less than its true value [1]
The residual benefit is the amount of apparent subsidy the employer
provides.

She is mostly wingeing becasue she has to pay parking tickets for parking
outwith legitimate spaces..

...d

[1] as determined by the IR.

Old February 18th 05, 09:59 AM
David Martin

I got a reply..

Apparently she needs the car to transport samples (that cannot be taken on
the shuttle service) between two campusses. Add to that being heavily
pregnant. Leaving a car parking space it is frequently possible that all
spcaes will be occupied by the time she returns.

I suggested she examine her insurance to see whether she is allowed to use
her car for that, and if not to take taxis (charged to the lab). Thta would
solve most of the problems she has.

...d

Old February 18th 05, 05:22 PM
Tony W

"David Martin" wrote in message
Someone has just emailed one of the lists at work complaining about the
cost of car parking on campus and the imminent loss of car parking
spaces. Apparently car parking now costs 122 quid per year and she
thought it was unfair.

About 50p per working day (or £1 per working University day) sounds
brilliant value to me. I understand town centre parking here costs over a
fiver a day. Tell her she's lucky to work for such a generous employer.

Then tax the bitch.

Old February 18th 05, 08:56 PM
Not Responding

Tony W wrote:
"David Martin" wrote in message

Someone has just emailed one of the lists at work complaining about the
cost of car parking on campus and the imminent loss of car parking
spaces. Apparently car parking now costs 122 quid per year and she
thought it was unfair.

About 50p per working day (or £1 per working University day) sounds
brilliant value to me. I understand town centre parking here costs over a
fiver a day. Tell her she's lucky to work for such a generous employer.

Then tax the bitch.

Don't get me started on car parking charges. Gosport (a nearby town) has
implemented its first ever charging. Ye Gods, judging by the response in
letters page of the local press you'd have thought the Council had
adopted a policy of slaughtering the first born.

Apparently, the econmony will fail, businesses fail, unemployment rise
and house prices collapse.

I just don't get the maths. An hour parking your metallic painted, air
conditioned bath chair will cost 50p. How far can you get in a car for
50p when fuel is 80p a litre? 8 miles? That'll take you to sunny
Fareham where parking costs 70p.

Let's also not forget that 30% of households in Gosport don't even have
a car yet, to date, have been paying the council tax required to set
aside acres and acres of highly valuable town centre development land
for free parking.
Old February 18th 05, 10:43 PM
David Hansen

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:56:04 +0000 someone who may be Not Responding
wrote this:-

Let's also not forget that 30% of households in Gosport don't even have
a car yet, to date, have been paying the council tax required to set
aside acres and acres of highly valuable town centre development land
for free parking.

Even if parking is not "free" it might still be subsidised from
general taxation. Many Councils claim every year that they will
balance the books on parking next year, but never manage to get
round to doing so.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old February 18th 05, 10:52 PM
Not Responding

wrote this:-

Let's also not forget that 30% of households in Gosport don't even have
a car yet, to date, have been paying the council tax required to set
aside acres and acres of highly valuable town centre development land
for free parking.

Even if parking is not "free" it might still be subsidised from
general taxation. Many Councils claim every year that they will
balance the books on parking next year, but never manage to get
round to doing so.

Last time I did the sums (with some horrendous estimations of land
value, capacity per acre, % utilisation etc) I came up with a charge of
around £1 an hour as representing a fair return (against current low
interest rates). So in Fareham, we're not too far off and we're getting
closer every year.