A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old May 20th 15, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,359
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003

On 20/05/2015 18:33, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 18:28, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 20/05/2015 10:51, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 10:14, Peter Keller wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2015 19:51:00 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 19/05/2015 16:51, Bod wrote:
This week on Business Scotland Colin Blane checks out the business
behind one of the most remarkable inventions of the industrial age ..
the humble bicycle. Over the years, cycle sales have been through
some
ups and downs but for the last decade or so the push-bike has been
pushing ahead again. A recent report suggested cycle use in Scotland
was up 32 percent since 2003. Colin talks to a number of people
who've
saddled up to take advantage of the surge in cycling.

Scotland currently has a cycling mode share — the proportion of
journeys
made by bike — of just one percent, a figure that hasn't budged since
the 1980s.

A 32% increase on 1 is 1.32.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Shows how just giving percentages without a base can be misleading.
Absolute numbers tell a better story.

The booming cycle industry tells its own story.

"Meanwhile more independent bike dealers are offering the Ride it away
cycle finance scheme, with sales rocketing by over 83 per cent in 2014.
That rise was due in part to more retailers engaging in the scheme, but
according to statistics passed to BikeBiz from ActSmart, sales have
already increased by around 30 per cent in 2015."


http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/fin...d-small/017827



Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did I
see today as I drove around?

One.



Was it in the rush hours? A lot of cyclists cycle to work and back.
They were mainly all in work, I assume.


Do try to concentrate. I'm a handyman. I drive all over town all the
time going from job to job - including rush hours.


--
Dave - The Medway Handyman www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Ads
  #12  
Old May 21st 15, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,703
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did I
see today as I drove around?

One.


Then it's very straightforward. If they're that non-existant, you can stop
whining about cyclists using up road "paid for" out of your valuable vehicle
tax.



  #13  
Old May 22nd 15, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,359
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003

On 21/05/2015 23:29, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did I
see today as I drove around?

One.


Then it's very straightforward. If they're that non-existant, you can stop
whining about cyclists using up road "paid for" out of your valuable vehicle
tax.



That's not the point. It doesn't matter how small a rodent problem is.


--
Dave - The Medway Handyman www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
  #14  
Old May 22nd 15, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,514
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003

On 22/05/2015 08:42, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 21/05/2015 23:29, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did I
see today as I drove around?

One.


Then it's very straightforward. If they're that non-existant, you can
stop
whining about cyclists using up road "paid for" out of your valuable
vehicle
tax.



That's not the point. It doesn't matter how small a rodent problem is.


You're a drama queen. *One* cyclist.
  #15  
Old May 22nd 15, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,583
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003

On Fri, 22 May 2015 09:08:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 22/05/2015 08:42, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 21/05/2015 23:29, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did
I see today as I drove around?

One.

Then it's very straightforward. If they're that non-existant, you can
stop whining about cyclists using up road "paid for" out of your
valuable vehicle tax.



That's not the point. It doesn't matter how small a rodent problem is.


You're a drama queen. *One* cyclist.


An 'insignificant' minority? He spends an extraordinary significant
dramatic amount of time and effort on it.
  #16  
Old May 22nd 15, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,514
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003

On 22/05/2015 10:10, Peter Keller wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2015 09:08:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 22/05/2015 08:42, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 21/05/2015 23:29, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did
I see today as I drove around?

One.

Then it's very straightforward. If they're that non-existant, you can
stop whining about cyclists using up road "paid for" out of your
valuable vehicle tax.



That's not the point. It doesn't matter how small a rodent problem is.


You're a drama queen. *One* cyclist.


An 'insignificant' minority? He spends an extraordinary significant
dramatic amount of time and effort on it.

OCD springs to mind.
  #17  
Old May 22nd 15, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,703
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003

"The Medway Handyman" wrote
On 21/05/2015 23:29, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did I
see today as I drove around?

One.


Then it's very straightforward. If they're that non-existant, you can
stop
whining about cyclists using up road "paid for" out of your valuable
vehicle
tax.

That's not the point. It doesn't matter how small a rodent problem is.


Lots of rodent species are cuddly and being encouraged to breed. It's the
sewer rats in motor vehicles that need culling.



  #18  
Old May 22nd 15, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,757
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003

On 22/05/2015 12:27, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote
On 21/05/2015 23:29, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did I
see today as I drove around?

One.

Then it's very straightforward. If they're that non-existant, you can
stop
whining about cyclists using up road "paid for" out of your valuable
vehicle
tax.

That's not the point. It doesn't matter how small a rodent problem is.


Lots of rodent species are cuddly and being encouraged to breed. It's the
sewer rats in motor vehicles that need culling.




and then the majority of the population would die within a short space
of time and we could go back to the middle ages, great. Without
motorised transport there would be no bicycles either, so be careful
what you wish for.
  #19  
Old May 22nd 15, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,950
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003



"TMS320" wrote in message ...

"The Medway Handyman" wrote
On 21/05/2015 23:29, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did I
see today as I drove around?

One.


Then it's very straightforward. If they're that non-existant, you can
stop
whining about cyclists using up road "paid for" out of your valuable
vehicle
tax.

That's not the point. It doesn't matter how small a rodent problem is.


Lots of rodent species are cuddly and being encouraged to breed.

Well done. You have just been promoted to the premier league of psycholists.
I would imagine the competition for league cup winner will be very intense
(and hilarious) between yourself, Phil W Lee and Simon Jester this season.
I'm sure I can smell the bull**** already.



  #20  
Old May 22nd 15, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,514
Default Cycling up 32% in Scotland since 2003

On 22/05/2015 12:38, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 22/05/2015 12:27, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote
On 21/05/2015 23:29, TMS320 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Then they must all be in garages. I've been keeping 'em peeled for
cyclists lately. Population of Medway 260,000. How many cyclists did I
see today as I drove around?

One.

Then it's very straightforward. If they're that non-existant, you can
stop
whining about cyclists using up road "paid for" out of your valuable
vehicle
tax.

That's not the point. It doesn't matter how small a rodent problem is.


Lots of rodent species are cuddly and being encouraged to breed. It's the
sewer rats in motor vehicles that need culling.




and then the majority of the population would die within a short space
of time and we could go back to the middle ages, great. Without
motorised transport there would be no bicycles either, so be careful
what you wish for.

Bicycles were in use in the early 1800s.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cycling Scotland JNugent UK 15 January 31st 14 11:15 AM
Cycling Scotland TV advert urges drivers to give cyclingschoolchildren more space Simon Mason[_4_] UK 0 May 9th 12 07:51 AM
14000 celibrate cycling in Scotland Simon Mason UK 2 September 13th 11 01:29 AM
Scotland's cycling tax lardyninja UK 213 September 22nd 09 10:55 PM
Cycling Highlight of 2003 Richard Bates UK 6 January 2nd 04 07:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.