Favorite biking snacks?

Old May 30th 20, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Favorite biking snacks?

news18 writes:

On Fri, 29 May 2020 16:39:50 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

They were SAID to grow faster than Redwoods and that is why they were
planted to replace the coastal redwoods that were cut down for
construction material. However. as you say, they are HUGE fire hazards
filling the entire area with dry sluffed off bark, their lumber is
unusuable since it shrinks and cracks with drying and that cannot be
remedied making the wood weak and useless.

Don't tell the Austalians this, they have been using them for centuries
until the modern fad for ****ty Pinus radiata in housing and everywhere
else.

Do you know which species they grow?

I don't know anything about eucalyptus species, but the description of
California eucalyptus agrees with what I've heard.

.... seems they're mostly blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus:

https://www.independent.com/2011/01/...me-california/

And they really do not grow
faster than redwoods after a certain age.

Old May 30th 20, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 29 May 2020 22:07:28 -0400, Radey Shouman wrote:

news18 writes:

[...]

Yes, Euc globulus was flavour of the month for forestry at one stage.
It grows best in moister gulliess and grows tall and eventually gives
good timber. Not like the roadside scrub in the image in the url above.

Web search Blue Ggum Forest, blue Mtns, NSw for some images.

Sounds like you have the worst of an alien invader and monoculure. Some
eucalyptus trees have a habit of exclusivity and emit toxins to stop
other seedlings sprouting near them.

At least we have possums that trim their growth by eating the young
leaves and cockatoos, galahs and other parrotss that give them hell;
mainly after insect pests that infect them.

Until, the cats and foxes over ran this country, we also had a number of
smaller mammals that helpt deal with the leaf and bark litter, hasening
the breakdown.

Now, we have managed to stuff all that and ths last year, had massive
bushfires down the east coast. Interestingly, with have 103 dead from
Covid-19, but the estimate was that we had 445 deaths from smoke
inhalation from the bushdfres from accelerated deaths in the cities and
major towns.

Anyway.
Old May 30th 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/28/2020 4:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

That was the one good thing about PowerBars -- the plastic/foil wrappers were really good for tire boots.

In 1993 I did a ride from Moscow to Saint Petersburg in Russia. We all
brought along a lot of food, including Power Bars, on the advice of the
organizer because food in Russia was not that plentiful back then, and
the route went through areas where we would not have a lot of stores.

In some of the towns, groups of Russian cyclists would join us for a few
kilometers and we would often give them some of our food. I had to
explain to one Russian cyclist that the Power Bar I was giving him
tasted awful but was good for him. I could only imagine him taking it
home, sharing it with his family, and then deciding that life in Russia
was better than life in the United States.
Old May 30th 20, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 7:07:30 PM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
news18 writes:

[...]

There are plenty of Eucalyptus trees that have been chopped down to clear them from invading the redwood forests that are left and they too have the same cracking, shrinking and rotting that your article describes. There is a place I have named the Eucalyptus Tunnel that has these trees on either side of a road that leads to the base of Skyline Blvd (Grass Valley Rd) and have been there since that road was initially laid in the early 1900's and they have totally invaded all of the surrounding forest killing most of the native species and covering the entire area with highly flammable dry bark that is continuously sluffing off the trees and they continue to grow. They are so large that they are a clear and present danger to the adjoining homes what with their shallow and narrow root base but the locals don't want to remove them and replant native species.

Back in the deeper forest the only things that seem to survive the Eucalyptus is the poison oak and poison ivy.
Old May 31st 20, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 12:58:40 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Riffing off the "bonk" thread:

For most of my family's bicycling career (now approaching 50 years) we
took various snacks along on rides greater than 25 miles or so. But
somehow, with changes in life and changes in riding habits, we seem to
have gotten out of that snack habit.

On a couple of recent mid-30 miler rides on country roads, my wife
didn't bonk, but she certainly ran out of steam. During one of them, I
happened to find a gel packet buried in my bag, so I gave her that. It
helped noticeably; so we should get back to carrying snacks.

But I'd prefer something a little more like food, a little less like a
medical infusion. Since we're no longer performance riders, actually
stopping the bike to eat would be OK. even though on solo rides I prefer
to keep moving.

What are people's preferences for on-bike snacks?

--
- Frank Krygowski

You are a good man.

I have a request.

I feel like I am fairly intelligent.

On a couple of recent mid-30 miler rides on country roads, my wife
didn't bonk, but she certainly ran out of steam.

I have no idea what bonk is.

I used to be a technical writer.

I learned to write to "my audience."

So I would very MUCH appreciate that you would post things that would not require using a websearch to look up some terms of your posts.

Best regards,

Andy
Old May 31st 20, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 30 May 2020 22:03:56 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

[...]

You mention that "I learned to write to "my audience.""
and you are certainly correct.

And, it might be noted, that everyone here understood the Original
Poster's writing so apparently he did "write to his audience".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 31st 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Also my question was triggered by a thread started May 23 by Sir
Ridesalot: "Bonking + Bicycles."

But thanks for the compliment, Andy.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 1st 20, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 29/5/20 12:38 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/28/2020 7:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 2:50:43 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 27/5/20 3:58 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Bananas and fruit cake.

One benefit of fruit cake (if it is the typical US Christmas fruit
cake) is that you can use it to boot tire casing cuts or throw at
threatening mountain lions -- or dingos or angry koalas. I think you
can even use to mend carbon fiber.

Wow, so like JB weld and rubber?

No, the fruit cake we have is moist and packed full of juicy plumb
sultanas, currents and raisins, etc. I cut pieces of about 2 mouthfuls
each, and wrap them as individual serves in aluminium foil. Easy to
extract from the back pocket of my jersey and unwrap and eat without
stopping.

I actually love the fruit cake one family member gives me every
Christmas. And it does seem like it would be good for riding fuel.

I'm appreciating all the ideas, folks. Thanks.

You're welcome.

--
JS

what's your favorite protein bar? webdevguy Racing 1 January 15th 09 03:44 PM
My new favorite (again) uni accessory tomblackwood Unicycling 19 February 6th 08 09:15 PM
Favorite multitool DeF Australia 1 April 17th 07 07:34 AM
RR: The old favorite GeeDubb Mountain Biking 12 February 27th 06 07:22 PM
Your Favorite MTB Al Kubeluis Mountain Biking 20 January 24th 05 07:06 PM