How flat are The Netherlands?

Old May 22nd 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default How flat are The Netherlands?

On 5/21/2020 10:05 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 2:56:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Maybe as a welcome distraction from the political and Covid-19 related mudslinging. We closed our Vancouver BC branch a year ago. Some colleagues moved over here and one of them is a close colleague now. I asked him what he found was special about The Netherlands. The first thing he mentioned: 'it is so incredibly flat'. Hmm... i didn't knew that ;-) and I paid attention during my 114 km ride yesterday in which I managed a total elevation gain of a whopping 124 m (Strava corrected value). I took a random picture along the route:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ssWbEvubmNiMxXf8

Yeah it is really flat I must admit.

have a nice day

Lou

Holland is so flat that most of the cargo is moved by barges on their many canal systems. Most of their cities and industries are built around the canals. While there must be some high spots they are few and far between. The windmill systems used to pump the water around so that they could go from lock to lock and keep the canals filled.

There are many places in the lowlands where there are hillocks that are incredibly steep as is often demonstrated in the Belgium classics and are also present in relatively flat Pennsylvania, but the majority of these places are flat. Those places are geologically unique.

"Relatively flat Pennsylvania?"

Honestly, I do try to let most of Tom's weird statements go by, but that
one is just nuts. I ride in PA quite a lot. I've ridden across it with
full camping gear twice. It is anything but flat.

I guess Tom has never heard of the Appalachians. Like most bike
tourists, I found they were much tougher than the Rockies, even though
not nearly as high. Passes we rode in the Rockies tended to be very
long, but mostly moderate grades. The Appalachian climbs are often much,
much steeper, and when you've conquered one, you're immediately looking
at another. (FWIW, Devon, England was much the same.)

We host Warm Showers travelers. We once had an interesting couple
contact us. They had just retired in the San Francisco area, and had
celebrated by biking cross country to Maine, their original goal.

They contacted us from Maine and said they had such a great time they
were continuing on to Texas, and asked if they could stay here on the
way. We agreed.

On the day they arrived, they looked absolutely beat. They said that the
hills of Pennsylvania, and especially the endless sharp, rolling
foothills in Western PA, were the toughest days they had their entire trip.

As to Netherlands: We biked there just a bit during a four day visit. I
think the toughest climb we had was a ramp on a ferry.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 22nd 20, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 4:32:22 PM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:

Should you get lost, stand on a telephone directory and have a good look
around.

My god, genuinely funny repartee on RBT. They'll burn you as a witch.

Andre Jute
Yeah, yeah, I know, male = warlock, but I'm being politically correct, and witch is more likely to be unisex than warlock, which has specific male overtones.
Old May 22nd 20, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 7:09:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/21/2020 10:05 AM, wrote:
[...]

Frank, you're a moron. On your best day you're a moron. I live adjacent to the coast range. I ride the Sierra Nevada often and I have ridden over the Rocky Mountains bother in California and in Washington. You have trouble with the Appalachians in Pennsylvania? Are you available for Saturday children's shows?
Old May 22nd 20, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:
[...]

Tom, Pennsylvania is not flat, at all. It does not have the altitude
changes of the Sierra Nevada, but along the roads the hills tend to be
steeper. The Appalachians are not the Rockies, but they are actual
mountains. Pittsburgh has got to be one of the hilliest cities in the
US -- hillier than San Francisco, or Seattle, or Portland.
Old May 22nd 20, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 5/21/2020 10:05 AM, wrote:
[...]

Take your medication and stop being a DF, if possible. First, there are no Rockies bother (both?) in California and Washington. You mean the Cascades.. And have you ever ridden the Appalachians? The northern range including the White and Green Mountains has some ferocious climbs, including Mt. Washington. Southern portions have less dramatic peaks but lots of them. I haven't done the segment in Pennsylvania, but it has lots of peaks. Even the more southern segments through Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia that I have ridden have some significant sustained climbs, but its mostly like doing steep hill repeats all day. Frank is talking about touring cyclists who had to do a lot of mileage across a wide mountain chain filled with peaks. Imagine doing Empire or Ice Cream Grade over and over. I can believe it was tiring, even if the peaks weren't that tall. Could you string together harder climbing routes in the Sierra or Rockies? Sure -- but these are tourists and not day riders looking for a death ride. Really, if you travelling west to east, would you go over Monitor Pass . . . and then go back up?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 22nd 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

Frank, you're a moron. On your best day you're a moron. I live
adjacent to the coast range. I ride the Sierra Nevada often and I have
ridden over the Rocky Mountains bother in California and in
Washington. You have trouble with the Appalachians in Pennsylvania?
Are you available for Saturday children's shows?

Tom, Pennsylvania is not flat, at all. It does not have the altitude
changes of the Sierra Nevada, but along the roads the hills tend to be
steeper. The Appalachians are not the Rockies, but they are actual
mountains. Pittsburgh has got to be one of the hilliest cities in the
US -- hillier than San Francisco, or Seattle, or Portland.

Canton Avenue in Pittsburgh is reputed to be the steepest public road in the
United States:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Avenue
https://youtu.be/NWXNvuCAxrU

Old May 22nd 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

[...]

Lincoln Gap in the Green Mountains of Vermont has the steepest mile of paved
road in the US. Another brutally steep climb, not as well known, is Tanners
Ridge Road in Virginia, which climbs from the Shenandoah Valley up to Skyline
Drive.

Old May 22nd 20, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/22/2020 11:01 AM, Bertrand wrote:
[...]

Yes, there's that.

Pennsylvania Railroad coal trains dropping from PA to Ohio
were so beaten up from that descent it kept my grandfather
gainfully employed in their roundhouse all his working life.
It's a formidable drop with a load even at railroad grades.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 22nd 20, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

I know that Pittsburg has some REALLY steep hills but so does San Francisco.. San Francisco is the city of hills: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._San_Francisco https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nort...san-francisco/ There are a couple of main streets that are so steep that even modern cars only drive down.

Pittsburg has an annual event that has cyclists climbing every stupid climb that they have in Pittsburg. That doesn't mean that the riding is all that fearsome otherwise.

On many of these hills the sidewalks are actually steps. They were built this way because there was no way of building them otherwise. In Pittsburg, many of the hill streets didn't actually have to be built with those grades and they were only done that way so that they would shed snow more rapidly.

Kragowski lived in Youngstown which is a flat as a pancake.