So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

Old June 3rd 20, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 1:52:15 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 4:25:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Something is going on with me. I did a 25 miles ride today. It had a lot of climbing in it but I was moving at the pace of a snail and was completely exhausted. Most of my rides lately have been that way. I'll have to make an appointment with the doctor I suppose.

I've mentioned my friend, now living in a distant state, who caught COVID-19 and
was on a ventilator for a solid month, but survived. Several days ago I mentioned
hearing that after three weeks of rehab, he can now go 300 feet with his walker.
This guy was a perfectly healthy strong and fast rider.

I got a bit more detail on his acquiring the disease. My fast friends told me he
was back here on a visit and riding with them when he just couldn't keep up. He
was riding slower and slower, stopping every mile or two to rest. Seems that was
one of the first signs something might be seriously wrong.

But it was still weeks before his wife forced him to go to the hospital. I don't
know the moral - maybe just "be careful."

- Frank Krygowski

If he was on a ventilator for more than 4 days it was for a condition that was caused by the ventilator and not covid-19 itself. 90% of people they put on ventilators don't get off. Think about having tubes shoved down in your trachea bypassing all of the normal immune system to get into the lungs.

I'm getting lab tests tomorrow and chest x-rays as soon as then can schedule it.
Old June 3rd 20, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 4:05:57 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 13:47:21 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 4:30:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I'm sure that Pro racers can use a 12 or 11 or 10. But for a normal sports rider the effective use of gears halted at 8 speeds. The rest of this increasing number of gears for the sports rider is just a reason for people that don't know any better to buy a new bike.

To paraphrase Andrew Muzi: "Tomorrow's headline NYT: "Frank Krygowski finally agrees with Tom Kunich!" ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Strange you know. I definitely remember reading that 5 gears was all
any normal person required and this insane desire for more was simply
due to marketing hype :-)

I love each and everyone one of my 11 cassettes, collectively and individually. I use them all. In the days of five speed, I could turn a 42/21 up anything. Not so much anymore, and I would hate the giant jumps on a 5 speed 13-28 with 42/52 chain rings.

The olden days were not better gear-wise. Chains lasted forever, but so what. Campy Record 12sp with a 32t cassette and a 34t inner chain ring produces a lower-low than I used on my trans-con bike fully loaded. In fact, the Shimano 34/28 on my racing bike produces a lower low. I'll take reduced chain life in exchange for a light bike with precise shifting and an abundance of gears to spin through as I'm being throttled up some hill.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 3rd 20, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 16:50:08 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Seriously? You have to schedule a chest x-ray? I ask as even a
doctor's clinic here can do an x-ray in house and do at least a
superficial evaluation.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 3rd 20, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/2/2020 7:50 PM, wrote:
[...]

Tom, I'm sorry to say my physician and nursing friends disagree with you
yet again. Also the paramedic we rode with yesterday. But hey, what do
they know, right?

90% of people they put on ventilators don't get off.

In general, that's correct. (I don't know the exact percentage.) The
medical folks have said he's lucky to be alive.

I'm getting lab tests tomorrow and chest x-rays as soon as then can schedule it.

Good idea, I think.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 3rd 20, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

My touring bike runs a 13-32 (I think) 5 speed freewheel, so the rear
steps are pretty large. But it's got the ancient half-step chainrings
(maybe 48-44 or something) so I sometimes put up with a large jump until
I fine tune it with a front shift. It's an arcane system, I agree; but
I'm fine with it. Yes, 9 speed with index is easier. But the secret to
happiness is low standards.

The olden days were not better gear-wise. Chains lasted forever, but so what. Campy Record 12sp with a 32t cassette and a 34t inner chain ring produces a lower-low than I used on my trans-con bike fully loaded. In fact, the Shimano 34/28 on my racing bike produces a lower low. I'll take reduced chain life in exchange for a light bike with precise shifting and an abundance of gears to spin through as I'm being throttled up some hill.

I think I see your problem! You choose riding partners very unwisely!

Find a group of old guys with beards riding 5 speed freewheels and
half-step gearing on touring bikes. Bonus points if they wear wool. You
can scamper up the hills ahead of them and wait at the top with a
condescending smile. It'll be like the old days, only better!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 3rd 20, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 6:29:14 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/2/2020 7:50 PM, wrote:
[...]

Ventilator-associated pneumonia is a thing, but its monitored. I had a client who was on a ventilator for two years because he had a C1-2 cervical spine fracture. Obviously, he was not in a medically induced coma. Its a long story -- one of my few workers comp claimants cases. I tried his case in a hearing room (for expert testimony) and from his bedside -- an ALJ heard testimony between ventilator breaths, and the WC defense attorney did cross.. I lost the case (he passed out at work for idiopathic reasons) and then won it on a relatively novel theory. RIP Emery. Here is a synopsis from a website:

Generally, idiopathic falls are not compensable. However, if work conditions substantially contributed to the injury, causing increased danger, the injury will be compensable. In Emery A. Reber, 43 Van Natta 2373, a worker fainted for reasons that were not work-related and fell from a second-story deck where he was performing his job. The Board held that the injury was compensable under the increased-danger rule because the work conditions aggravated the injury. Emery A. Reber, 43 Van Natta at 2375.

The big winner was the acute care facility where he was staying which was paid WC RVS rates rather than Medicaid rates. On a personal note, losing at hearing was the worst I'd felt in my life. He was a great guy who had lived a hard life and deserved a victory, which got ultimately.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 3rd 20, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 08:21:38 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 6/2/2020 2:50 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that
needs to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military
dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into
slavery for foreign entities.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises him.

Your Head of State is Her Majesty.

Yep, Elizabeth the last, as they say.
I'm free to say she is a silly old duffer that should retire instead of
completely ruining the commonwealth. Try doing that in Thailand.

Old June 3rd 20, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

But, but, but... when you are 80 years old it is hard to find "old
guys" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 3rd 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 11:38:38 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 2:21:35 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/2/2020 2:50 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that
needs to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military
dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into
slavery for foreign entities.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises
him.

Your Head of State is Her Majesty.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

There's a high correlation in Australia between being a descendant of
transported criminals and being a fanatic for a republic. -- AJ

Lol, Strike one and strike two.
Based on previous polls and voting, applies to the general population as
well. When it was put to the vote, those descendant of transported people
and the others who emigrated, voted to keep Queen Lizz as head of state.
And that was before the USA gave us the example of the elected orange
buffoon.

Sadly, it took Covid-19 to increase bums on icycle seats.

Old June 3rd 20, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 02:03:17 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 08:21:38 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 6/2/2020 2:50 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that
needs to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military
dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into
slavery for foreign entities.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises him.

Your Head of State is Her Majesty.

Yep, Elizabeth the last, as they say.
I'm free to say she is a silly old duffer that should retire instead of
completely ruining the commonwealth. Try doing that in Thailand.

Why would want to? The Thai King is simply a figurehead and
contributes nothing to the governing of the country. AND he rides a
bicycle.

That's the problem with you foreigners, you don't know enough to take
your shoes off when you go in the house.

--
cheers,

John B.