Kristin Armstrong @ NYC Marathon

Old November 8th 04, 06:40 PM
Tom Paterson

From: (amh)

"Money doesn't buy happiness. But it does buy the kind of misery we all
enjoy."

FWIW:
"Money can't buy happiness, it can only rent it."
Old November 8th 04, 09:11 PM
Andrew Martin

"Philip W. Moore, Jr." wrote in message ...
Your are 100% right. But right now I've got a 1997 Suburban that's giving
me **** and could use the money.

Hey overzealous liberal Kerry Fan-

You are the source of uncontrollable fuel prices - Go buy a Prius like
the rest of your brethren so you can have one less thing to be
hypocritical about.

-a (takes the bus or rides as much as humanly possible)

Old November 8th 04, 10:01 PM
Sierraman

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...
even the person with the most perfect home life will probably be saying
just this at mile 24 of their first marathon. i'm supposed to run a
marathon in a few weeks, and it's about 50% due to the fact that

kristen
ran a sub 4 hour on her first try. (i wondered if i could do that
too....nope...)

Miles 18-20 are the worst. Miles 24-26 are easy if the crowd is any

good.
Good luck.

I wonder if it's similar to a century? I used to find miles 55-60 very
tough... seemed like so much ahead, and yet I felt like I'd already run
myself into the ground. Once to the 2/3rds mark it seemed not so bad,
although it was still pretty tough up to about mile 90.

That was then, this is now. Age brings patience, which I think is vastly
under-rated. People push the wisdom thing, but I really haven't seen any
evidence I'm afflicted with that! But patience- knowing that the task is
doable can be a very calming and performance-enhancing thing. I now feel
stronger at mile 80 than I do at 20, and that makes such a difference
overall.

80 is true for me. After the first 70 to 80 was mental and physical
challenge, but after that the last 20 is like gliding on air. I feel
nothing. Not true however if the last 20 are uphill. Since the old climbing
legs aren't as good as they used to be and also my heart is more tired as
well if I have to climb the last 20, as I can really feel it. I suppose the
Death Valley riders know this quite well. I have never been any good over
100 miles. I got a buddy that keeps wanting to drag me off on a double. He's
got knee trouble now, you guys can keep those doubles!

Old November 8th 04, 10:40 PM
B. Lafferty

"Sierraman" wrote in message

80 is true for me. After the first 70 to 80 was mental and physical
challenge, but after that the last 20 is like gliding on air. I feel
nothing. Not true however if the last 20 are uphill. Since the old
climbing
legs aren't as good as they used to be and also my heart is more tired as
well if I have to climb the last 20, as I can really feel it. I suppose
the
Death Valley riders know this quite well. I have never been any good over
100 miles. I got a buddy that keeps wanting to drag me off on a double.
He's
got knee trouble now, you guys can keep those doubles!

Having never run (nor do I ever intend to run) a marathon, I would compare
that event to a double century rather than a century. Doing doubles, I've
found that physically the last 15 miles is the most difficult.
Psychologically, there is a dead zone for me from about 130 miles to 180
miles. At 130, you've already done a metric double that keep you in mental
anticipation. Now you have nothing for nearly another 3/4 of a century. It
can be depressing. That said, the pain from pounding ones joints for 20+
miles must be far more physically destructive than riding for 200.