Zabel's Apprentice?

Old November 7th 04, 08:29 PM
TritonRider

Default Zabel's Apprentice?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/20...=allan_davis04
Thanks Jeff
I hope this happens. Erik seems pumped up, and the kid really seems to have
the class that Zabel has shown. Who knows how far he could go with IMO the most
consistent sprinter of our generation guiding him. I'd love to see this happen,
and T-Mobile would be idiots to ignore this hint.
Bill C
Old November 8th 04, 05:10 PM
John Rees

"TritonRider" wrote in message
| http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/20...=allan_davis04
| Thanks Jeff
| I hope this happens. Erik seems pumped up, and the kid really seems
to have
| the class that Zabel has shown. Who knows how far he could go with IMO
the most
| consistent sprinter of our generation guiding him. I'd love to see
this happen,
| and T-Mobile would be idiots to ignore this hint.

Which is exactly why they probably will... :-(
Can anyone figure out what T-Mobiles goals are in racing? I can't

Old November 8th 04, 05:10 PM
John Rees

Old November 8th 04, 09:57 PM
Chris

"TritonRider" wrote in message
http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/20...=allan_davis04
Thanks Jeff
I hope this happens. Erik seems pumped up, and the kid really seems to

have
the class that Zabel has shown. Who knows how far he could go with IMO the

most
consistent sprinter of our generation guiding him. I'd love to see this

happen,

That would be great for both riders. I like the idea of taking on a young
guy in your twilight years to assure you are not just a waste of space when
the form goes for good. That was Hinault's idea for Greg, and he offered the
same advice to Lance. Perhaps that was what the "Basso to Discovery" rumors
were all about. Back to the road captain's role, Sean Yates extended his
career a bit to continue for Lance. He is finally coming on board Lance's
team in a director's role.

and T-Mobile would be idiots to ignore this hint.
Bill C

Well, we already know they are nuts. It still might happen though so keep
your fingers crossed. BTW, Erik had made similar comments about Frank Hoj's
usefullness too (though not as a sprinter) and that apparently did not get
anywhere.

I was just thinking about Zabel earlier today and all of his second
places...I wonder if he would not do better to start racing like Sean Kelly.
Kelly would soft pedal at times when he wasn't sure of a win so that it
became less likely that he would be the most marked rider. I fear that Erik
is so damn fast and consistent that everyone gauges their sprint against
him. That is what he gets for being there so consistently. How many months
has he spent at the top of the UCI points ranking?