Rest day discussion topic: Wouldn't the KoM contest be better if...

Old July 23rd 03, 08:23 AM
Ingemar Svensson

Default Rest day discussion topic: Wouldn't the KoM contest be better if...

The KOM competition is not interresting for the GC contenders and
therefore no effort should be made to make it that. What should be
done is to decrease the number of points on the big climbs so that
noone can get a massive lead in the competition simply by going in
long breakaways. That would make the competition closer and there
would be a fight for it rather than a one man show.

(Shayana Kadidal) wrote in message . com...
...if they offered more points for the final climbs of each stage?

Right now, my understanding is that the points available on each
summit are assigned purely based on the categorization (4,3,2,1,HC) of
the climb leading up to it. (So, for example, every Cat.1 summit is
worth 30 points for the first man over it, 26 for the second, etc.)
This leads to situations where a rider goes on long breakaways with
the intention of crossing every peak first -- except the last one on
the stage (like Jalabert). We also see top-20-type riders (like a
certain unmentionable Frenchman) who intentionally lose time on final
climbs (Alpe D'Huez) so that they can then have the freedom to ride
away from the pack on the aforementioned long breakaways. None of this
behavior really makes the long mountain stages more interesting to
watch.

If the number of points available on the final climb of each stage
were, say, doubled or tripled, it might allow guys to contend for the
GC and the KoM at the same time. We could then avoid the strategic
behavior that cheapens the prestige of the polkadot jersey. (We might
also avoid having certain drug using liars precluded from any chance
at the KoM, another fringe benefit.) A guy like Mayo could wear the
jersey while contending for the yellow.

Someone tell LeBlanc!--Shayana Kadidal

[a footnote-- I realize that certain climbs have their categorization
increased based on their position later in a stage (e.g. it's often
said Alpe D'Huez could be a Cat.1 if it were near the beginning of a
stage, rather than it's perennial position as a stage finish). But the
resulting increase in KoM points is rather minimal -- from e.g. 30 for
a cat.1 to 40 for an HC.]