published helmet research - not troll

Old June 17th 04, 10:07 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default published helmet research - not troll

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:48:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote in message :

Both of those are helmet skeptic sites. To be fair, I must also point
you to the rabidly pro-helmet "Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute",
www.bhsi.org This "institute" (named Randy Swart) is working to make
it illegal for anyone of any age to ride a bike at any time without a
helmet. I quote: "The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute supports
carefully drawn mandatory helmet laws covering all age groups."

And Randyt thinks that stopping using the Thompson, Rivara and
Thompson figure of 85% efficacy would be "unhelpful" despite it's
being derived by comparing entirely different populations and
ascribing all the difference to helmet use. In other words, he is a
True Believer :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 17th 04, 10:08 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 06:09:37 GMT, (Bill Z.)
wrote in message :

He posts a link to Randy's site for "balance" but immediately
disparages it.

No need - Randy does his own auto-disparaging.

Old June 17th 04, 11:26 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:37:51 -0400, Mitch Haley
wrote:

I read in my local paper (The Lansing State Journal) that riding without
a helmet makes you 14 times more likely to get killed.

Assuming that's true, what does that matter if the odds of being
killed are extremely small.?

JT
Old June 18th 04, 02:13 AM
Jim Flom

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote...

Assuming that's true, what does that matter if the odds of being
killed are extremely small.?

I have a hard time believing you don't wear a helmet, John Forrest.

Jim "academically speaking" Flom

Old June 18th 04, 06:05 AM
CowPunk

It seems clear that a) the emergency medical people have gotten
gradually better at their job (probably in large part due to
technology), and b) helmets aren't making a significant difference in
cyclists' fatalities. If they were, the cyclist plot would drop
relative to the ped. plot.

This whole helmet discussion reminds of my pesticide chemistry
class when my prof. would tell the class "but the LD50 is ...
blah, blah, blah.", but never took into account that while maybe
it takes a lot of whatever chemical to kill you, no one really
knows how much it takes to cause cancer, nerve damage,
brain damage, loss of eyesight, etc....

The same thing holds true for this discussion. You're looking
at FATALITIES. What about the accidents where a helmet
prevented brain injury? It's not something that can be answered
or tested easily....

And I'll wear mine thank you, I've hit enough low hanging
tree branches while MTB riding to know they help.
Old June 18th 04, 07:44 AM
Bill Z.

Tim McNamara writes:

(Bill Z.) writes:

You should note Krygowski's tactics.

Yours are exactly the same tactics. Hmmm.

Liar.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old June 18th 04, 04:46 PM
CowPunk

Are you saying you received minor brain injuries riding your MTB w/o a
helmet on? If not, how do you know helmets help prevent that?

JT

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that
cracked plastic and dented styrofoam is better than
cracked skin and a dented skull.
Old June 18th 04, 05:38 PM
Tom Kunich

(CowPunk) wrote in message . com...

The same thing holds true for this discussion. You're looking
at FATALITIES. What about the accidents where a helmet
prevented brain injury? It's not something that can be answered
or tested easily....

That's a fair question. But ask yourself - how many brain injuries
have occurred to cyclists over the intervening 30 years. The answer is
that there are so few that they aren't even recorded. It isn't that
they don't occur, but that your chances of having similar injuries as
a pedestrian are many times greater on a statistical basis.

The statistics also show that serious head injuries aren't helped by
helmets either since the ratio of serious head injuries to fatalities
hasn't changed in the least either. Although there are some medical
sources that claim that using complicated statistical methods they can
JUST detect some help.

And I'll wear mine thank you, I've hit enough low hanging
tree branches while MTB riding to know they help.

You can do anything you like. Though I would think that if you are
hitting low hanging branches your helmet must be interfering with your
field of vision. The only time I ever hit my head on something
overhanging was when I was riding past a structure and the helmet
blocked vision of a rafter at head height.

It is my OPINION that helmets make minor injuries even more minor or
even non-existant. That is a reason for ME to wear a helmet. That is
not a reason for laws that force helmets on children since it
coincidentally causes children to to ride a great deal less, causing
parents to drive their children to school making it more dangerous for
all children in the vicinity of schools.