This is getting expensive (helmets)

Old December 11th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default This is getting expensive (helmets)

aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 10, 7:16 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
Ouch. Not physically, but financially. I've broken two Giro Atmos helmets in
crashes this year. First one happened when my son did something screwy while
descending, causing me to run into his rear wheel and off the road into the
culvert, where I flipped over and landed on my bike. Thankfully just a
couple little bruises, that's all. Oh, plus a cracked helmet.

Yep. They're fragile, all right!

Then yesterday
I'm riding the "punchbowl" (a dried-up reservoir with steep sides that you
can ride down into and up the other side... lots of fun!) and didn't quite
get the speed right to land on the 4-ft-wide berm, causing me to grab a bit
more front brake than I should have (to keep from going over the other
side). I, fortunately, didn't go over the other side, but the bike went over
me after I did a flip over the bars that my kids thought rather funny. And
cracked another helmet.

Last time I damaged a helmet was maybe 25 years ago. Not a good trend! :)

Were you doing those kinds of stunts 25 years ago?

Your riding style and mine seem much different. I tend to avoid the
kind of riding that makes wearing a helmet seem logical. As a bonus,
I seem to avoid scraped knees, broken collarbones, damaged bike parts,
etc.

IOW, I don't "risk compensate" myself into those problems.

To add some fuel to the fire, I will mention that "going over the bars"
is EXTREMELY unlikely on a proper recumbent bicycle.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter
Old December 11th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Sherman" wrote: (clip) To add some fuel to the fire, I will mention
that "going over the bars"
is EXTREMELY unlikely on a proper recumbent bicycle. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Okay--more fuel to the fi Riding a recumbent (proper or not) through the
punch bowl would be very humorous to watch. I believe it would take a
couple of people to bring you and the bike up from the bottom.

Old December 11th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ozark Bicycle

On Dec 10, 8:52 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote: (clip) To add some fuel to the fire, I will mention

that "going over the bars" is EXTREMELY unlikely on a proper recumbent bicycle. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Okay--more fuel to the fi Riding a recumbent (proper or not) through the
punch bowl would be very humorous to watch. I believe it would take a
couple of people to bring you and the bike up from the bottom.

Drag up the "bike", if you must. But best to let Sherman rot in the
bottom of the bowl.
Old December 11th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mike Jacoubowsky

To add some fuel to the fire, I will mention that "going over the bars"
is EXTREMELY unlikely on a proper recumbent bicycle.

Riding the punchbowl is even less likely.

But it sure would be fun to watch!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...

wrote:
Ouch. Not physically, but financially. I've broken two Giro Atmos
helmets
in
crashes this year.

Then yesterday
I'm riding the "punchbowl" (a dried-up reservoir with steep sides that
you
can ride down into and up the other side... lots of fun!) and didn't
quite
get the speed right to land on the 4-ft-wide berm, causing me to grab
bit

--
Ryan Cousineau
http://www.wiredcola.com/

Old December 11th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zoot Katz

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 04:17:17 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

To add some fuel to the fire, I will mention that "going over the bars"
is EXTREMELY unlikely on a proper recumbent bicycle.

Riding the punchbowl is even less likely.

But it sure would be fun to watch!

I've seen an electrified KMX Kart that might be up to the task.
--
zk
Old December 11th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Hank Wirtz

wrote:
[...]

So you think that Under-Seat-Steering makes a 'bent improper? They
spend all their time over the bars.

'Bent riders are eating their own!
Old December 11th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mike Jacoubowsky

Can someone post pictures of this "punchbowl"?

www.ChainReaction.com/diary.htm and look for the youtube video near the top
of the page.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

wrote:
Ouch. Not physically, but financially. I've broken two Giro Atmos
helmets in
crashes this year.

Then yesterday
I'm riding the "punchbowl" (a dried-up reservoir with steep sides that
you
can ride down into and up the other side... lots of fun!) and didn't
quite
get the speed right to land on the 4-ft-wide berm, causing me to grab
a bit

To add some fuel to the fire, I will mention that "going over the bars"
is EXTREMELY unlikely on a proper recumbent bicycle.

Riding the punchbowl is even less likely.

Can someone post pictures of this "punchbowl"?

Note that Mike Jacoubowsky's first "header" did NOT occur in the
"punchbowl".

Old December 12th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Dec 10, 6:15 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

To add some fuel to the fire, I will mention that "going over the bars"
is EXTREMELY unlikely on a proper recumbent bicycle.

So you think that Under-Seat-Steering makes a 'bent improper? They
spend all their time over the bars.

'Bent riders are eating their own!

True under seat steering (USS), is greatly inferior to controls besides
the riders legs (BSS). Most recumbents advertised as having USS are
actually BSS, e.g. this is a BSS bicycle:
http://www.challenge-recumbents.com/images/picture.php?filename=images/inhoud/hurricanetour/hurricanetouruss-groot.jpg&size=640&type=2&quality=87.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

This is getting expensive (helmets) Mike Jacoubowsky General 34 December 16th 07 11:13 PM
Not just SJS that's expensive Danny Colyer UK 3 June 5th 06 06:29 PM
Helmets helmets helmets and weird heads Tamyka Bell Australia 3 November 30th 04 12:25 PM
Getting more expensive. Simon Mason UK 9 June 3rd 04 09:44 PM
Most expensive bike? David S. Maddison Australia 18 September 18th 03 09:03 PM