Long Beach CA bikie culture

Old March 25th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire

Default Long Beach CA bikie culture

I was in Long Beach CA yesterday, and I thought the bikie culture
there was interesting.

It definitely exists, but it's Japanese-style, as opposed to PNW-
style. In other words, people ride - but mostly on the sidewalk, no
helmet, at relatively slow speeds. I saw only one person looking like
someone around here - with panniers, riding in the street with the
other vehicles. I saw lots of riders, though, and bikes parked in
front of stores and public facilities. They claim the first
Bikestation in the country.

Anyone from Southern California have comments?

Warm Regards,

Claire
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org

Old March 26th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Matt O'Toole

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:40:52 -0700, Claire wrote:

I was in Long Beach CA yesterday, and I thought the bikie culture there
was interesting.

It definitely exists, but it's Japanese-style, as opposed to PNW- style.
In other words, people ride - but mostly on the sidewalk, no helmet, at
relatively slow speeds. I saw only one person looking like someone
around here - with panniers, riding in the street with the other
vehicles. I saw lots of riders, though, and bikes parked in front of
stores and public facilities. They claim the first Bikestation in the
country.

Anyone from Southern California have comments?

A lot of people in southern CA beach towns seem to use a hybrid
sidewalk/street/bikepath riding style, whatever suits them at the time.
More accomplished/confident/faster riders will use the street, while the
more casual riders on beach cruisers, etc. will use the sidewalk. To the
horror of the anal-retentive Forresterite bike advocates out there, it
works. I was back in Newport Beach this summer for a few weeks, and it was
great to see so many people on bikes again, riding all over the place.
Bikes and bike culture are definitely back!

Matt O.
Old March 29th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SJ Carter

Since LB is right on the coast, there are a lot of hybrids and beach
cruisers. People ride of the sidewalks because many of the
residential streets around the downtown area are one way, or the
streets themselves are somewhat narrow. When I first moved here I was
really uncomfortable about riding on the sidewalk, but it quickly
became apparent that in many cases this was the safest solution for
both bicyclists and motorists. Oh, did you get to ride the beach
trail from Shoreline Village to Belmont?
Old April 2nd 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cathy Kearns

My parents live in a beach town neighboring Long Beach, and there are your
spandex road bikers, but they aren't hanging around the beach towns because
they are looking for hills and the beach towns are flat. The great thing
about the incredibly flat beach towns is you do see everyone out there
riding. Often on beach cruisers, which are extremely heavy, and hard to get
going any faster than your average pedestrian. So putting beach cruisers on
the same sidewalks as power walkers and joggers doesn't give you the same
speed differential you'd see if all the carbon fiber bikes were racing
through the neighborhood.