Assault by motoring psychopath on cyclist filmed

Old March 21st 16, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Assault by motoring psychopath on cyclist filmed

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-b...06776856#_ =_
Old March 21st 16, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy K[_2_]

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 5:02:05 AM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-b...06776856#_ =_

Maybe rider should start packing pepper spray.

Andy
Old March 21st 16, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 6:02:05 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-b...06776856#_ =_

stumbled onto a California news site blocking up multiple Cal reports of vehicle to vehicle, vehicle to sidewalk pedestrian, vehicle to bike, bike to pedestrian...accurate gunfire.

VB VV VP BP PP

reads lika war zone.
Old March 21st 16, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Andy K:

Maybe rider should start packing pepper spray.

I quit riding my road bike to work in Philadelphia when I realized that
a friend's practice of carrying a loaded .44 magnum in the tank pouch of
his motorcycle was starting to sound sensible to me.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old March 22nd 16, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/21/2016 12:41 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andy K:

Maybe rider should start packing pepper spray.

I quit riding my road bike to work in Philadelphia when I realized that
a friend's practice of carrying a loaded .44 magnum in the tank pouch of
his motorcycle was starting to sound sensible to me.

Many decades ago, my son and I rode our bikes from New Jersey to Ohio,
passing right through Philadelphia.

I new nothing about the city, so we just headed due west through the
heart of it. In some neighborhood, we did get hostile shouts "Hey
Whitey, what are you doing here?" But we just kept riding.

It did surprise me. I rode daily through a ghetto neighborhood to my
previous job and never encountered any hostility. In fact, people were
very friendly. Likewise, in my current metro area, I've ridden almost
everywhere in the city with no problems.

Some places are more hostile than others, I guess.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 22nd 16, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Pete Cresswell - find a piezo sounder diagram for your truck ?

4 still in the parts box, one used as a continuitytester....a small siren.

I came up the Interstate for 2 hours just now once again finding the turn signal was hidden by the steering wheels top, the beep beep by CH 66.

post in alt.resistor suggested a parallel circuit with diodes..but on what where

or a relay on the grnd side of the switch.?
Old March 22nd 16, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 8:00:12 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Some MUPs are pretty dangerous. I had some meth-head punch me on a MUP. A woman with a flat tire was just raped on the Springwater Corridor. http://bikeportland.org/2016/03/21/g...er-path-178667 Note the stories of shootings and other mayhem on the Springwater.

I've never had a problem out there, but there are parts that are sketchy homeless camps.

If you spend enough time on a bike in a large metropolitan area, someone will assault you. A sad fact of urban life. It has happened to me more than once in Portland and San Jose.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 22nd 16, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
I new nothing about the city, so we just headed due west through the
heart of it. In some neighborhood, we did get hostile shouts "Hey
Whitey, what are you doing here?" But we just kept riding.

I used to ride around the city a *lot* on weekends. In fact even today
if we are in a car and take a wrong turn or get lost somewhere
like-as-not I'll be thinking I've *been* here..

Never had a race-based hostile encounter. Maybe just dumb luck on my
part.

Once I was riding down a street and passed some guys in a convertible,
drinking out of a brown paper bag and one guy shouted "Hey man, that
dude's *enjoying* himself.

Another time I was talking to a guy on a corner and he said "You
probably should get out of this place because there is going to be a
gang war in about five minutes.".... Never heard of scheduled gang wars,
so maybe the guy didn't have both oars in the water.... but I said
"Thanks" and got out....
--
Pete Cresswell
Old March 22nd 16, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 22/03/2016 10:11 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank Krygowski:
[...]

It seems to me that many urban cities have places where you don't want
to be. When I was a kid in New Orleans, the fire department stopped
showing up in some neighborhoods because they were starting the fires on
purpose and then shooting the firemen.

At the time I was a kid working on video games and pinball machines and
would go in the same neighborhood to service the games in their bars.
Never had any problem. Never went there on a bike though.
Old March 22nd 16, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 10:02:05 AM UTC, Andre Jute wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-b...06776856#_ =_

Many years since I was last in Bristol, making pilgrimage to W O Bentley's school, Clifden College, as I did annually in one or another of his cars. I didn't see any ghettos then. I seem to remember from my advertising days that we classed the whole area as socio-economically B1, meaning very well-off indeed.

Anyway, the internal evidence of the photograph, with the homicidal asshole in a BMW against a prosperous background tells us this is an entitlement crime (roads belong to cars, right?) rather than a race or poverty crime, not that I'm likely to excuse those either.

Andre Jute
Ride tall. Stay safe.