Front cracking noise

Old February 14th 19, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Default Front cracking noise

Rolf Mantel, 2019-02-14 12:04+0100:
Am 14.02.2019 um 11:54 schrieb Tanguy Ortolo:
To me, quick release is a synonym of quick breaking and quick
stealing.

Talking more precisely, you can use the words 'hollow hub', and then
using a hollow hub with Pit-Locks is not a contradiction in terms any more.

Yes, that and other ingenious systems such as gravity lock. These are
excellent, expensive ways to work around the very purpose of the quick
release axle.

Traditional full axles break occasionally, hollow hubs are a lot more
robust.

I do not see how a hollow tube can be more robust than a full axle of
the same external diameter. Anyway, I already broke a couple of axles,
all hollow. Never broke any full axle, so I will keep using these.

--
Tanguy
Old February 14th 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 9:13:09 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 7:28:00 PM UTC-5, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 3:49:50 PM UTC-6, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Well in fact, I will not need to try with another wheel. As I was riding
home, the noise kept increasing, and at some point, my front wheel
started to slow me with a drag similar to slightly pulling on the
brakes.

That's how my first dynohub failure presented itself. With the wheel
off the ground, it wouldn't even spin a full revolution because of
the friction in the bearings. If you look at the link I posted
before, you will see a step-by-step account of the repair of a
dynohub. It may be that the hub I repaired is similar enough to
yours that you can figure it out. The "Joule I" hub and the Shimano
hub may both be made by Sanyo, in which case some similarity is
likely. The Joule I hub has two sealed cartridge bearings; the
Shimano hub looks like it has one cartridge bearing on the output
side and a cup-and-cone bearing on the non-output side.
You will need soldering equipment, but I doubt there is any
aluminum wire to deal with.
If you are careful, you may be able to expose the solder joint by
carefully prying the superficial parts off (see the link!). I
initially did not do this, and broke the output wire and had to
splice it (also described in the link).
Good luck!

Crikey! I sure wouldn't want a dynamo hub failure like that if I was
riding far from home. I think that's another reason for me to stick to
my external battery pack lights.

How often do you service wheel bearings when riding far from home? Do
you carry a set of cone wrenches with you?

--

I was commenting on the fact that the dynamo hub was getting extremely
hard to turn whilst it was on a bicycle being ridden. The fact is that

And I was wondering how you would fix that problem on your non-dynamo
rim, when riding through the back of beyond. The bearings and seals on
the Shimano dynamo hubs are comparable to, and fail in the same way, as
the bearings and seals on their non-dynamo hubs.

Old February 14th 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/14/2019 9:23 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

I do not see how a hollow tube can be more robust than a full axle of
the same external diameter.

It's certainly possible. The fundamental fact is that the center of a
rod or cylinder contributes very little to its bending strength - or
torsional strength, for that matter. That's partly why hollow tubes are
used for bike frames, handlebars, etc. instead of solid bars.

Add the fact that the hollow axle may be made of stronger steel than
solid one, and it's possible the hollow one is more robust. Not
guaranteed, but possible.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 14th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

I think he's talking about having to have a soldering iron to fix the
dynamo.
Old February 14th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot writes:

I was commenting on the fact that the dynamo hub was getting extremely
hard to turn whilst it was on a bicycle being ridden. The fact is that
not many people would have the means to repair that tightening whilst
on their ride.

And I was wondering how you would fix that problem on your non-dynamo
rim, when riding through the back of beyond.Â* The bearings and seals on
the Shimano dynamo hubs are comparable to, and fail in the same way, as
the bearings and seals on their non-dynamo hubs.

I think he's talking about having to have a soldering iron to fix the
dynamo.

You fix it Joerg style. You find a piece of flint, strike it against a
steel part of your bicycle, use the resulting spark to start a fire, get
it good and hot while you pry a nail out of a nearby fence, use a strand
of fence wire to fasten it to a branch for a handle, heat the nail in
the fire, and use the hot nail to fuse the excess solder you've scraped
off a different part of the hub's internals.

Simple.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 14th 19, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

Butane soldering torches are available, but I surely wouldn't want to do
the job on some woods trail. On the other hand, the hub qua hub works
fine even if it's electrically useless. To be completely safe one would
have to carry a spare battery light; but to be completely safe with a
battery light one would have to carry a spare battery light.

Old February 14th 19, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

I find a primitive culture and then educate them over generations until they develop the tools necessary to fix my dyno hub. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWCvMwivrDk

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 14th 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

I think Joerg would just locate a chunk of galena, and smelt away.
He can't be all RoHS compliant out in the wilderness, with mountain
lions snapping at his heels.

Old February 14th 19, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

SRA can respond. I was just trying to clarify as it seemed to be
required. g

For myself, I rarely ride at night except when commuting in the fall and
in those cases my usb charged lights seem to be sufficient. I haven't
used a dynamo since trying a bottle dynamo in the 70s.
Old February 14th 19, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

For MY NEEDS dynamo lights just don't cut it. #1. I sometimes ride a different bike at night and a dynamo hub can't be switched easily between bikes. I can carry a couple of spare batteries if I want to and with those I'm good for a couple of all night rides even in the long winter nights. #2. In the advent of a bent wheel I can use any wheel as a replacement. #3. I don't like the low light output of dynamo hubs at low speed and #4. I don't like the idea that trying to repair a dynamo hub could render it useless for providing power. I also like the idea that I can put a battery inside my clothing thereby keeping it warm in winter and that a battery light gives me FULL illumination even when stopped or on foot.

Back in the days of unsealed hubs and bottom brackets i did carry a pair of short cone wrenches and the two tuning fork like tools that were made for bottom brackets. Thus I COULD service my cones/hubs and or bottom bracket on tour if needed.

If a person wants to use a dynamo hub that's fine but ass with many other things what's good for one person may NOT be what another person needs.

Cheers