rim and spokes recommendations sought

Old February 5th 05, 05:25 AM
116

Default rim and spokes recommendations sought

I'm replacing my rear 26/559 rim and would like your relevant
comments pro/con on rims and spokes. I'm heavy and go long
distances so would need something durable and then second
to that would be performance considerations.
Old February 5th 05, 08:17 AM
Tom Sherman

116 wrote:

I'm replacing my rear 26/559 rim and would like your relevant
comments pro/con on rims and spokes. I'm heavy and go long
distances so would need something durable and then second
to that would be performance considerations.

The most important thing is to get a wheel with adequate spoke tension,
no spoke windup, high quality spokes, nipples, and hub and stress-relief
[1].

Any of the Velocity and Sun rims intended for mountain bike use should
work just fine when the above criteria are met.

[1] The last is somewhat controversial in its mechanism and effect. It
MAY be important, and is certainly not harmful.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 5th 05, 03:28 PM
Freewheeling

I have my Rohloff Speedhub in a Velocity Aeroheat rim. As Tom says, they're
made for MTB use, are popular in the 'bent world, and seem to perform well.

--
--Scott

Old February 5th 05, 07:13 PM
Steve Knight

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 09:28:34 -0500, "Freewheeling"
wrote:

I have my Rohloff Speedhub in a Velocity Aeroheat rim. As Tom says, they're
made for MTB use, are popular in the 'bent world, and seem to perform well.

I just got my velocity deep v with their hub and black smokes for the rear only
159.00 I also ordered a pantour suspension hub and deep v for the front. the
deep v's are pretty much bullet proof and look cool too.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old February 5th 05, 08:50 PM
116

The most important thing is to get a wheel with adequate spoke tension,
no spoke windup, high quality spokes, nipples, and hub and stress-relief

At this point I'm looking at getting DT Competitions.

Any of the Velocity and Sun rims intended for mountain bike use should
work just fine when the above criteria are met.

It came with Velocity Razors. With the front rim, at about 2,000 miles
there
were getting ever worse cracks in the middle causing the sides to push
out and
rim brakes to hit on both sides. I quickly replaced them with whatever
the LBS
had and have no problems with the front since. Now, at 9,000 miles the
brakes are touching at both sides on at least one part of the remaining
Velocity Razor rim on the rear. While I haven't pulled the rear tire
off, I assume the same cracking on the front is occurring on the rear.
Hence my desire to replace the rear rim and while I'm at it the rear
spokes as well (though to my surprise all the rear spokes are the
original
straight 14 gauges).

My point in telling my story is that rightly or wrongly I'm turned off
by Velocity rims. The LBS recommended Sun Rhyno Lites, but I want to
get as many useful opinions as I can--I go very long distances on my
bike
and need to rely on its components.

The concern I have with MTB rims like the Rhyno Lites is that I run
a 26x1.25 tire and it is unclear to me that a MTB rim that will hold
a 26x2.5 tire would work or work well for me. Anyone have comments on
this?
Old February 5th 05, 11:35 PM
Tom Sherman

116 wrote:

[...]

Why replace the spokes? There are people who have ridden the same spokes
for well over a hundred thousand miles, replacing the rims several times
due to braking surface wear and rebuilding the hubs when the bearings
wear out. However, if several spokes have broken, then it would be best
to replace the lot.

My point in telling my story is that rightly or wrongly I'm turned off
by Velocity rims. The LBS recommended Sun Rhyno Lites, but I want to
get as many useful opinions as I can--I go very long distances on my
bike and need to rely on its components.

Get rims that have a polished surface instead of hard anodizing. The
anodizing is a layer of aluminium oxide (ceramic) which is brittle. When
the aluminium oxide cracks, it produces a stress riser that can lead to
crack propagation in the base aluminium.

The concern I have with MTB rims like the Rhyno Lites is that I run
a 26x1.25 tire and it is unclear to me that a MTB rim that will hold
a 26x2.5 tire would work or work well for me. Anyone have comments on
this?

Sheldon Brown reproduces a chart [1] on his website that shows rim
width/tire width compatibility. While some maintain that these
guidelines are too conservative, problems are unlikely if they are followed.

Sun makes narrower ISO 559-mm rims than the Rhyno Lite [2].

[1] http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html.
[2] http://www.sun-ringle.com/prods/mtbrims.html. [3]
[3] The Sun-Ringle web page is one of the worst I have ever encountered.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 6th 05, 12:07 AM

Tom Sherman wrote:

My point in telling my story is that rightly or wrongly I'm turned

off
by Velocity rims. The LBS recommended Sun Rhyno Lites, but I want

get as many useful opinions as I can--I go very long distances on

my
bike and need to rely on its components.

snip

The Velocity Razors are *extremely* light, and it's not surprising that
they've worn out and are failing. As Tom said, the Aeroheats are
perfectly adequate replacements.

Sun makes narrower ISO 559-mm rims than the Rhyno Lite [2].

[1] http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html.
[2] http://www.sun-ringle.com/prods/mtbrims.html. [3]
[3] The Sun-Ringle web page is one of the worst I have ever

encountered.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Ditto on the critisism of the Sun-Ringle website.

I would probably pick the CR-18 rim- but then, I don't have to. I have
CR-18 rims on my (and my wife's) Tour Easys, with 32mm wide tires-
roughly the equivalent of your 1.25" tires. The CR-18's have lasted
through several Pacific Northwest winters, with their associated
abrasive muck. It's getting close to replacement time, though- after
many thousands of miles.

I've built my own wheels for the past 20 years. Once I learned to build
them with high, even tension, they rarely go out of true and I never
break spokes. I'm not light, either- I'm 6-foot-4 and around 225 pounds
nowadays.

Jeff

Old February 7th 05, 09:18 AM
116

Why replace the spokes?

Well, I was thinking, why not? Actually, in my cycling lifetime
I've had to deal with the occasional rounded spoke nipple but I suppose
I could just replace all of these to insure they are all up to
snuff and keep the same spokes. Then again this would be a convenient
time to change to 14-15-14 over the current straight 14 gauge spokes.

Get rims that have a polished surface instead of hard anodizing. The
anodizing is a layer of aluminium oxide (ceramic) which is brittle. When
the aluminium oxide cracks, it produces a stress riser that can lead to
crack propagation in the base aluminium.

Makes sense to me, or at least this would explain what I've encountered.

Sheldon Brown reproduces a chart [1] on his website that shows rim
width/tire width compatibility.

I will check this out, thanks!

The Velocity Razors are *extremely* light, and it's not surprising that
they've worn out and are failing. As Tom said, the Aeroheats are
perfectly adequate replacements.

Thanks, I'll check this out.

I would probably pick the CR-18 rim- but then, I don't have to. I have
CR-18 rims on my (and my wife's) Tour Easys, with 32mm wide tires-
roughly the equivalent of your 1.25" tires.

I'll check these out as well.