Chain / Sprocket Cleaning

Old August 4th 05, 03:39 AM
1013

Default Chain / Sprocket Cleaning

I would like to remove my chain to clean it properly since there is a lot of
build up of dirt and grime. I am pretty sure the chain is a Shimano chain
and I have read that you need special tools to remove it.

Is there a single rivet that needs to be removed or does every link along
the chain use a rivet which can be removed? The problem is my chain is so
dirty I cannot see a thing.

How much does the tool cost to remove the rivet? Are master links which
allow easy chain removal just as strong as rivets?

Thanks in advance.

Photos of the chain, etc:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/mtb1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/chain1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/chain2.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/chain3.jpg

Old August 4th 05, 04:13 AM
Zoom

1013 wrote:
I would like to remove my chain to clean it properly since there is a lot of
build up of dirt and grime. I am pretty sure the chain is a Shimano chain
and I have read that you need special tools to remove it.

Is there a single rivet that needs to be removed or does every link along
the chain use a rivet which can be removed? The problem is my chain is so
dirty I cannot see a thing.

How much does the tool cost to remove the rivet? Are master links which
allow easy chain removal just as strong as rivets?

Thanks in advance.

Photos of the chain, etc:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/mtb1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/chain1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/chain2.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/chain3.jpg

I wouldn't do it if I was you.

Zoom
Old August 4th 05, 04:22 AM
GPLama

"1013" wrote in message ...
I would like to remove my chain to clean it properly since there is a lot
of
build up of dirt and grime. I am pretty sure the chain is a Shimano chain
and I have read that you need special tools to remove it.

Nice ride, but damn that running gear is a mess... get a chain breaker and
get to work cleaning that monster... to rejoin a chain, I would recommend
using these: http://tinyurl.com/exf4y they come in all sizes etc, and work
an absolute treat for chain removal...

If you are in Doncaster as your email suggests, go see Andy at BikePro on
Whitehorse Rd, he should have them in stock..

I'd suggest NEVER treating your chain/running gear like that again, that
thing has to be dropping balls of cakey black ****e everywhere!.. I'd be
cleaning it up before adding more lube each time...

cheers,
GPL

Old August 4th 05, 04:31 AM
Marx SS

I’m no expert, but my personal endeavours of removing a drive chain of
bike has left it useless for re-use.
I know that some new chains (non-Shimano) can had a real tigh
connecting link, which requires a lot of work to free-up after th
reinstall.
(Shimano chains have a funky link pin that’s tapers slightly so whe
installed it does seem to force the link plates together & bind).
There is the other type of circlip like connecting link which is
no-tools, no-brainer operation, SRAM?

Looking at the photos I would dismantle the rear derailleur for
clean-up & grease, & then spray the chain with WD-40 & turn it throug
a rag a few times

--
Marx SS

Old August 4th 05, 04:31 AM
Marx SS

I’m no expert, but my personal endeavours of removing a drive chain of
bike has left it useless for re-use (using a chain breaker tool thingy)

Old August 4th 05, 04:41 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-08-04, GPLama wrote:
"1013" wrote in message ...
I would like to remove my chain to clean it properly since there is a lot
of
build up of dirt and grime. I am pretty sure the chain is a Shimano chain
and I have read that you need special tools to remove it.

Nice ride, but damn that running gear is a mess... get a chain breaker and
get to work cleaning that monster... to rejoin a chain, I would recommend
using these: http://tinyurl.com/exf4y they come in all sizes etc, and work
an absolute treat for chain removal...

Seconded. I have a chain breaker floating around in my unit somewhere;
if you want to borrow it, drop me an email. (The From: address on this
message will work until the 18th or so of August.) I live in Mitcham, by
the way.

I'd suggest NEVER treating your chain/running gear like that again, that
thing has to be dropping balls of cakey black ****e everywhere!.. I'd be
cleaning it up before adding more lube each time...

It reminds me of my chain before I pulled out the chain breaker and
cleaned it up in kero (speaking of which, I also have an ultrasonic
cleaner. BYO kero, though.) Unfortunately, I didn't have the lube to
finish the job. Whoops.

Old August 4th 05, 05:01 AM
alex

1013 wrote:
I would like to remove my chain to clean it properly since there is a lot of
build up of dirt and grime. I am pretty sure the chain is a Shimano chain
and I have read that you need special tools to remove it.

Chain breaker/ Chain tool, but if you are planning on removing the
chain regularly you should buy a chain with a removable link or have a
link installed on your existing chain?

Here is an example of a chain tool:
http://www.parktool.com/tools/CT_3.shtml

; Not sure on how much th

How much does the tool cost to remove the rivet? Are master links which
allow easy chain removal just as strong as rivet

Read these postings:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
http://yarchive.net/bike/chain_clean.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

And then figure out whats good for you

I use a chain cleaner machine: http://www.parktool.com/tools/CM_5.shtml
along with a chain whip, cassette lock ring remover, rags and a
toothbrush to clean my drivetrain. I use kerosene to remove the muck.
Be very careful not to get the kero in your hubs/bottom bracket

Old August 4th 05, 05:49 AM
Bean Long

Aaargh! That's disgusting! Just an ordinary chain breaker and an old jar
full of kero would be my first thoughts. Alternatively, I sometimes use one
of those chain washing rigs that hook on to your chain/rear derailer and
fill it with kero. You'd probably want to replace the kero in the rig about
20 times on that lump of muck! Not sure how these two methods compare but
I've always been happy after using the hook on rig.

Good luck.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Old August 4th 05, 05:50 AM
1013

Thanks guys for your advice.

I actually live in Sydney. My e-mail address is unrelated to my
name/location.

I will probably have to take my bike to a bike shop and get the chain
removed and a removable link put on.

"GPLama" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 4th 05, 05:52 AM
1013

Do you use kero to clean or another product?

"Marx SS" wrote in message

I'm no expert, but my personal endeavours of removing a drive chain of a
bike has left it useless for re-use.
I know that some new chains (non-Shimano) can had a real tight
connecting link, which requires a lot of work to free-up after the
reinstall.
(Shimano chains have a funky link pin that's tapers slightly so when
installed it does seem to force the link plates together & bind).
There is the other type of circlip like connecting link which is a
no-tools, no-brainer operation, SRAM?

Looking at the photos I would dismantle the rear derailleur for a
clean-up & grease, & then spray the chain with WD-40 & turn it through
a rag a few times.

--
Marx SS