"Giant" dissapointment

Old October 6th 03, 05:24 AM
Westie

Default "Giant" dissapointment

"Super Slinky" wrote in message
t...
Westie said...

For most people 'value' has to fit into the equation somewhere, doesn't

it?
If your comparison was applied to cars, people would have limited

experience
unless they have driven a Ferrari.
But not everyone can afford a Ferrari or find one they're allowed to

test
drive.
Surely there's some merit in a cookie-cutter?

But the price difference between the nicer mass produced bikes and
building up a boutique frame isn't that great. All of the Giant VT line
lists for more than $2000 with the VT 1 being $3000 or more. I could
have built a Titus Racer-X with a Chris King wheelset, Fox Vanilla,
Hayes hydraulics, Thompson stem and seat post and the rest XT for $3200.
The only things not included were the pedals and saddle. Giant makes a
nice bike, but I would take that setup over anything offered by the big
names.

Good point. I'm not 100% sure what the prices are like for the boutique
frames.
I simply haven't seen any here. New Zealand is a smaller market and a long
way from home for most of the boutique manufacturers. I toyed with the idea
of building up a Blur last year but I couldn't import one and build it up
with decent components for any less than NZD$7000 so that kinda cooled my
enthusiasm for boutique frames. At the time, it was a full susser I was
interested in and something that I could ride immediately too. I'll
probably still do it one day, but not this year.

Certainly for me being able to walk into a shop, examine, testride, fit and
buy a bike that has a good reputation is important. Realistically for me to
get a boutique bike, I have to import a frame I've never ridden or been
fitted for, take time and money (buying components separately is more
expensive than buying a complete bike of course) and knowledge to buy it,
and build it. Maybe it's not whole lot of hassle for people on the group
here but for your average rider it's a big leap. I can see why Giant is so
popular.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old October 7th 03, 12:46 PM
Super Slinky

Westie said...

[...]

Living in NZ would definitely complicate things. I'm always surprised to
hear what people pay for things outside of the US.