"It's like this"

Old September 24th 04, 02:01 PM
Jimbo(san)

Default "It's like this"

P/T is hell... My physical therapist is Satan... Just kidding...
Actually P/T is dead boring and my Phyisical therapist is very
professional.
The facility isn't very sports minded. It is more a hospital kind of
thing...My physical therapist isn't really bike minded... but she has
been steadily increasing the excersizes. I see a marked improvement in
my pain...
So I asked her what she thought of me trying to ride again... Which she
replied that she thought it was very important to get back into it... I
explained to her the different hand positions of the various bikes...
She basically told me via my description to avoid the GRS as it was too
much shoulder slumping and keeping the same hand positions for longer
periods of time. She thought the H/T would be a close second... but the
way I explained the SS she thought it would be best as it caused me to
keep moving and changing positions on the bike. Wider bars and hand
position are less stress on my shoulder and neck...
So as per my physical terrorist's instructions... I will probably be
riding the SS and H/T on my way to recovery... I was considering a
change from fully rigid to borrowing Carla's Marzocchi Atom 80... but I
think I should be ok as we will probably be keeping to the easier
trails...
We also figured on breaking out the weights this winter and since I am
way overweight now maybe some other form of cross training... trail
running/ hiking... Must return to shape.
Seems day dreaming about riding doesn't exactly burn very many
calories... but thanks to reading CDB's new MRM (Mental Riding Method)
I have staved off insanity long enough to recover... Thanks Doc!!!

--- Jim

--
Jimbo(san)

Old September 24th 04, 02:17 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Jimbo(san) wrote:

serious clipage

We also figured on breaking out the weights this winter and since I am
way overweight now maybe some other form of cross training... trail
running/ hiking... Must return to shape.

BEER = WEIGHT

I know it sucks, but give up the beer. I haven't touched alchohol in
over a year and I feel great. I used to drink at least 12 pack of
Guiness pints a week and I'm certain it never helped my weightloss. The
others I ride with drink copious amounts of brew and as I size down,
they are sizing up.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old September 24th 04, 02:21 PM
Carla A-G

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
news
Jimbo(san) wrote:

serious clipage

We also figured on breaking out the weights this winter and since I am
way overweight now maybe some other form of cross training... trail
running/ hiking... Must return to shape.

BEER = WEIGHT

I know it sucks, but give up the beer. I haven't touched alchohol in
over a year and I feel great. I used to drink at least 12 pack of
Guiness pints a week and I'm certain it never helped my weightloss. The
others I ride with drink copious amounts of brew and as I size down,
they are sizing up.

Just what he wants to hear with 2 batches fermenting right now...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 24th 04, 04:49 PM
Craig Brossman

Jimbo(san) wrote:
[...]

Sucks Jim. I'm not supposed to put any weight on my ankle for another 3
weeks, so I am relagated to swimming. Haven't actually started yet, but
it is the only way for me to stay in some condition so I don't totally
suck when I finally get back on. Probably not the best exercise if you
are suffering from a shoulder injury.
Hang in there!

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply
Old September 24th 04, 05:40 PM
bri719

Craig Brossman wrote:

Sucks Jim. I'm not supposed to put any weight on my ankle for another
3 weeks, so I am relagated to swimming. Haven't actually started yet,
but it is the only way for me to stay in some condition so I don't
totally suck when I finally get back on. Probably not the best
exercise if you are suffering from a shoulder injury.
Hang in there!

swimming is great cross-training....I don't actually do it as much as I
should.

the first couple times you might be hating it and WILL be sucking wind.
but after that, I really find that I enjoy it when I'm in the pool doing
laps. if his shoulder's got problems, I can say this -- my right one
has occassional pain from extreme exertion, and I've had neck problems
before, but swimming doesn't really bother either.

running is good, but hell. I only run on a track since the pavement
pounding I used to do 1-2 times a week was starting to get to my knees.

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old September 24th 04, 06:10 PM
Paladin

"Jimbo (san)" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Ya gotta love a PT like that, who sees through the BS and calls the GRS just
what it is. To help in your recovery, I'll go log in another epic
gut-buster tonight, and if nobody else likes it, I know with your home brew
and some imagination, you'll burn a few calories vicariously riding along.
Just submit my bill to your insurance company, and I'll split it with ya.

Don't forget. I am a doctor, you know. (Just not that kind.)

paladin
and darn glad to hear of a full recovery around the corner.

Old September 24th 04, 08:28 PM
ireman_1

Jimbo(san) Wrote:
[...]

I just got back from my first PT meeting from this last ("hopefully")
surgery on the turd I call a shoulder. I had him the previous time and
he was an "uber"(sp?) geek/nazi about the whole program. I was
seriously nervous as hell about going back, getting crap for screwing
up the previous reconstruction, etc. He was pretty cool, but kicked my
arse, told me I'm too fat (true), and made me feel weak. He also gave
me hope about getting back on the bike (not for a while, but...) and
prepping for winter sports! Cool.

Gotta go get crazy with my thera-band and work on sucking in my gut.

Kraig.

--
ireman_1

Old September 24th 04, 08:29 PM
supabonbon

Jimbo(san) wrote in message ...
[...]

Sheesh! How long is PT supposed to last? Learning anything interesting?
/s
Old September 24th 04, 08:36 PM
small change

supabonbon wrote:
Jimbo(san) wrote in
message ...
[...]

Mr Adventure dislocated his shoulder a few years ago, and was religious with
his PT. He had been invited to go on a three week Grand Canyon raft trip,
private with freinds, and then it happened. His end goal was to be on
that river, no matter what. He was released from PT the day before they had
to leave. Here he is, rowing Lava Falls, favoring that shoulder ( rowing
with one arm)

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...ages/lava2.htm

The point is, let them know your goal and do exactly as they say.

penny

Old September 24th 04, 09:08 PM
Carla A-G

"supabonbon" wrote in message
om...
Sheesh! How long is PT supposed to last? Learning anything interesting?

He's the guinea pig at this P/T place. I am next in line to go there for my
injury, just waiting to see if it works for Jim first.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!