"Disabled" Guy - "pepper sprayed" at 2012

Old July 31st 12, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Nick[_4_]

Default "Disabled" Guy - "pepper sprayed" at 2012

On 31/07/2012 21:45, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 30/07/2012 22:35, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Ditto - a disgraceful scene of mob obstruction and assault upon a lone
officer. If he is making an unlawful arrest in front of a dozen
cameraphones then justice can be obtained later through the proper
channels.

lol. If the policeman had killed her in front of the cameras "the proper
channels" would ensure he was let off.

There is very little Justice when it comes to the police.

I think that cyclists get away with too much, so I'll just deal out my
own justice in future. That's the morality you're urging us towards.

No I was just commenting on your risible claim that the proper channels
deal with police assaults in these circumstances.

I didn't advocate any course of action. However I would have though most
of us would support balanced proportional citizen actions aimed at
preventing crime.

If you saw a cyclist assaulting someone I would consider it perfectly
reasonable of you to try to restrain them.
Old July 31st 12, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
GB[_5_]

On 31/07/2012 21:38, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Obstructing the police is.

What if they are, as in this case, being over zealous or do you
consider everything the uniformed police do is perfect.

All I have seen is that single video. There is no evidence there that
the police were being over-zealous. If you have other evidence, what
is it?

The statement made by the police themselves, which cited an act that
has already been held not to apply to CM and claimed powers that the
police do not posess.

Do you have a linky?

No, because he's lying. Cyclists are no more exempt from the Public
Order Act than they are from gravity. They have a standing right in
respect of one particular clause only, regarding prior notice of route.

I usually try to be polite, so I ask for a link rather than saying that
someone's (ahem) mistaken.

In any case, there's no evidence in that video showing what the arrest
was about. The woman being arrested may have been a mugger for all we know.

Old August 1st 12, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

"Nick" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 30/07/2012 22:35, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Ditto - a disgraceful scene of mob obstruction and assault upon a lone
officer. If he is making an unlawful arrest in front of a dozen
cameraphones then justice can be obtained later through the proper
channels.

lol. If the policeman had killed her in front of the cameras "the proper
channels" would ensure he was let off.

There is very little Justice when it comes to the police.

I think that cyclists get away with too much, so I'll just deal out my
own justice in future. That's the morality you're urging us towards.

No I was just commenting on your risible claim that the proper channels
deal with police assaults in these circumstances.

Well, let's take stock...

It's *your* view that the "the proper channels" fail to deal with (alleged)
police malpractice.

And because you hold that view, you claim to see nothing wrong with cyclists
assaulting police officers and obstructing them in the course of their duties.

Well... OK...

In that case, you can logically have no complaint if those who see "the
proper channels" failing to deal with cyclists' many (legion) breaches of
road traffic and other laws decide to obstruct and assault cyclists.

Or is that somehow "different"?

I didn't advocate any course of action. However I would have though most
of us would support balanced proportional citizen actions aimed at
preventing crime.

If you saw a cyclist assaulting someone I would consider it perfectly
reasonable of you to try to restrain them.

What about if one is cycling towards you on a footway?

Is it OK to try to restrain them?
Old August 1st 12, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
NM

On Aug 1, 12:15*am, "Zapp Brannigan" wrote:
"NM" wrote in message

On Jul 31, 9:36 pm, "Zapp Brannigan" wrote:
Another cyclist who's bent upon associating himself with a mean-spirited
attempt to sabotage the Olympic opening and cause a security crisis.
You
lot are like lemmings, on or off the road.

So you think the matter was handled well do you?

Yes, very well handled. *The Met used persuasion and patience to divert as
many casual participants away from the situation, and then moved smoothly to
mop up the hardcore who were bent on trouble.

If you're referring to the specific incident on youtube, I can't usefully
comment without seeing the reason why the female cyclist was being arrested,
or the surrounding environment. * Interesting that none of the
video-recording onlookers wish to release that part of the story, isn't it?

Lucky none of them were selling newspapers isn't it?
Old August 1st 12, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
NM

On Aug 1, 12:27*am, "Zapp Brannigan" wrote:
"GB" wrote in message

[...]

And I would applaud your civility normally, but Phil Lee is being
deliberately dishonest. *He knows the true facts, but is pursuing the Big
Lie strategy.

While Bradley Wiggins and Chris Hoy were receiving deserved applause in the
Olympic Opening, a ragtag mob of troublemakers were actively trying to
sabotage and disrupt the event. * *In one single vignette, that says
everything about UK cycling.

I'm with them, the Olympics are a monstrous waste of money and
resources.
Old August 1st 12, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Nick[_4_]

On 01/08/2012 00:35, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

eb.com...

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

You're just saying the same thing, with a few weasel words like
proportionate, balanced, reasonable etc.

They may seem like weasel words to you and if you do not understand the
subtitles I would caution you against using your initiative in any
citizen actions to uphold the peace. However most normal people
understand the concepts and can quite reasonably be expected to
participate in maintaining an ordered society.

It's still advocating taking
the law into your own hands. And I really don't have a problem with
it, as long as you understand the consequences. Next time a smug
cyclist decides to "take the lane" for example, I'll just
proportionately and reasonably nudge him over so that reasonable traffic
flow is restored.

A proportional response to someone riding in a legal (often recommend)
way, with low risk associated with them continuing to act in the same
way, would be to do nothing. At a stretch it might be reasonable to
express a view to them that you do not like their behaviour.

I'm often surprised by the inability of posters to understand the
simplest of concepts or construct even the most modest of logical
arguments. Normally I put this down to a bit of banter as opposed to
them being generally retarded but I'm never totally sure. Perhaps I live
in an ivory tower and it has skewed my expectations of the common man.
Old August 1st 12, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 31/07/2012 21:45, NM wrote:
On Jul 31, 9:36 pm, "Zapp Brannigan" wrote:
"NM" wrote in message

On Jul 30, 10:38 pm, "Zapp Brannigan" wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message

I didn't see a relevant insignia, the protest of arrest is excusable
if the constable refused to show his warrant.

Utter dribble. There is no requirement for a constable to produce a
warrant
card before making an arrest.

You'll clutch at any straw to defend these yobs, evidently.

But the yobs were in uniform, you grasp at any passing straw to defend
them, the crowd were obviously hostile if the cop wasn't bent on being
a bully he could have handled things in a different way, sadly modern
policing is orientated towards confrontation. The wrong type or
recruit finds the job attractive.

Another cyclist who's bent upon associating himself with a mean-spirited
attempt to sabotage the Olympic opening and cause a security crisis. You
lot are like lemmings, on or off the road.

So you think the matter was handled well do you?

No. More police on scene would have enabled them to arrest the ****ing
lot of the ******s.

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old August 1st 12, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

"NM" wrote in message

On Jul 31, 9:36 pm, "Zapp Brannigan" wrote:
Another cyclist who's bent upon associating himself with a mean-spirited
attempt to sabotage the Olympic opening and cause a security crisis.
You
lot are like lemmings, on or off the road.

So you think the matter was handled well do you?

Yes, very well handled. The Met used persuasion and patience to divert as
many casual participants away from the situation, and then moved smoothly to
mop up the hardcore who were bent on trouble.

If you're referring to the specific incident on youtube, I can't usefully
comment without seeing the reason why the female cyclist was being arrested,
or the surrounding environment. Interesting that none of the
video-recording onlookers wish to release that part of the story, isn't it?

Lucky none of them were selling newspapers isn't it?

Lucky nobody shot the cops while they were off duty.

Old August 1st 12, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
®i©ardo

On 01/08/2012 02:07, Phil W Lee wrote:
"Tired" considered Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:30:05 +0100 the
perfect time to write:

Phil W Lee wrote:
:: "James Allen" considered Mon, 30 Jul 2012
:: 20:21:47 +0100 the perfect time to write:
::
:::
:::
::: "Tired" wrote in message ...
:::
:::
:::: she should get some recognition there standing up to an angry mob
:::: like that, without the protection of a stab vest or truncheon)
:::
::: Looks to me like she's holding an ASP at one point?
:::
::: This video makes me feel quite confused actually, on the one hand I
::: often find myself looking at videos of the police in situations
::: like this and thinking they "are" just violent thugs who get off on
::: the power they have, but OTOH I can't help thinking that these
::: cyclists, especially the so-called disabled guy and the **** in the
::: green t-shirt who joined him on the bonnet deserved a good beating.
:::
:: Who will be left to complain when they come for you?

They didnt come for anyone, dont be so stupid.

You clearly don't bother to read anything about the subject of the
post you are responding to.

The police deliberately set up a confrontation, and their own actions
and statements prove it.

So when did they organise your little bike ride then and why did you
find it necessary to take part?

--
Moving things in still pictures

Old August 1st 12, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
GB[_5_]

I'm with them, the Olympics are a monstrous waste of money and
resources.

Given that the money has been spent, it's too late to prevent that. All
that disrupting the games at this stage does is reduce the value for
money still further.