"Disabled" Guy - "pepper sprayed" at 2012

Old August 1st 12, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default "Disabled" Guy - "pepper sprayed" at 2012

GB wrote:
I'm with them, the Olympics are a monstrous waste of money and
resources.

Given that the money has been spent, it's too late to prevent that.
All that disrupting the games at this stage does is reduce the value
for money still further.

and lower our prestige internationally, this incident has hit the headlines
world wide, and not in a good way.

Old August 1st 12, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
NM

On Aug 1, 8:49*am, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:
On 01/08/2012 08:26, NM wrote:

On Aug 1, 12:15 am, "Zapp Brannigan" wrote:
"NM" wrote in message

On Jul 31, 9:36 pm, "Zapp Brannigan" wrote:
Another cyclist who's bent upon associating himself with a mean-spirited
attempt to sabotage the Olympic opening and cause a security crisis.
You
lot are like lemmings, on or off the road.

So you think the matter was handled well do you?

Yes, very well handled. *The Met used persuasion and patience to divert as
many casual participants away from the situation, and then moved smoothly to
mop up the hardcore who were bent on trouble.

If you're referring to the specific incident on youtube, I can't usefully
comment without seeing the reason why the female cyclist was being arrested,
or the surrounding environment. * Interesting that none of the
video-recording onlookers wish to release that part of the story, isn't it?

Lucky none of them were selling newspapers isn't it?

Lucky nobody shot the cops while they were off duty.

If I was out to shoot a cop that would be the time to get him but
there is no point after all they are just like dogs mindlessly doing
their masters bidding, if one is killed another will be there to step
into his place.

Old August 1st 12, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
NM

On Aug 1, 10:15*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
GB wrote:
I'm with them, the Olympics are a monstrous waste of money and
resources.

Given that the money has been spent, it's too late to prevent that.
All that disrupting the games at this stage does is reduce the value
for money still further.

and lower our prestige internationally, this incident has hit the headlines
world wide, and not in a good way.

I agree, I'm not a supporter of Critical Mass their stupid antics
cause problems for everybody and should be stopped, I am against
violent thugs in uniform just happens to be Critical Mass in this
instance.
Old August 1st 12, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 10:15:48 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

GB wrote:
I'm with them, the Olympics are a monstrous waste of money and
resources.

Given that the money has been spent, it's too late to prevent that.
All that disrupting the games at this stage does is reduce the value
for money still further.

and lower our prestige internationally, this incident has hit the headlines
world wide, and not in a good way.

The Chinese, South Koreans and Indonesians have done more to damage
(enhance) their country's reputations for unsportsmanlike behaviour
with their antics on the badminton court.

But I do agree with the essence of your remark.

Had the police allowed Critical Mass to go to the Olympic Park, make
their protest peacefully at not being allowed in the zil lanes, the
nation's reputation for tolerating dissenting views would have been
enhanced.

As it is, the draconian measures imposed on cyclists crossing the
Thames northbound, will provide further justification for Assad,
Putin, Kim Young'un, and other odious leaders in their suppression of
dissent.

It's not good. I expect the violence in Syria to continue, Putin to
further tighten his grip on power, and Kim Young'un to build a zil
lane to the Disney Theme Park he'll build just outside Pyongyang.

http://weeklyworldnews.files.wordpre...im_minniez.jpg
A match made in Heaven Lake, Baekdu Mountain
Old August 1st 12, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

snip

Yes - and all because of a bunch of ****witted cyclists

Old August 1st 12, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

On 01/08/2012 08:28, Nick wrote:

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Nick" wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Nick" wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Ditto - a disgraceful scene of mob obstruction and assault upon a lone
officer. If he is making an unlawful arrest in front of a dozen
cameraphones then justice can be obtained later through the proper
channels.

lol. If the policeman had killed her in front of the cameras "the
proper channels" would ensure he was let off.
There is very little Justice when it comes to the police.

I think that cyclists get away with too much, so I'll just deal out my
own justice in future. That's the morality you're urging us towards.

No I was just commenting on your risible claim that the proper channels
deal with police assaults in these circumstances.
I didn't advocate any course of action. However I would have though most
of us would support balanced proportional citizen actions aimed at
preventing crime.
If you saw a cyclist assaulting someone I would consider it perfectly
reasonable of you to try to restrain them.

You're just saying the same thing, with a few weasel words like
proportionate, balanced, reasonable etc.

They may seem like weasel words to you and if you do not understand the
subtitles I would caution you against using your initiative in any
citizen actions to uphold the peace. However most normal people
understand the concepts and can quite reasonably be expected to
participate in maintaining an ordered society.

I'm certain that ZB *does* understand the subtext (which is the word you were
floundering about searching for). *Any* intelligent person would perceive it
intuitively, particularly given your transparent disingenuity which can be
easily summarised: "When cyclists break the law, it's always proportionate
and reasonable, but when anyone else is provoked beyond endurance by a
cyclist's law-breaking, any action they take is always disproportionate and
unreasonable by definition".

It's still advocating taking
the law into your own hands. And I really don't have a problem with
it, as long as you understand the consequences. Next time a smug
cyclist decides to "take the lane" for example, I'll just
proportionately and reasonably nudge him over so that reasonable traffic
flow is restored.

A proportional response to someone riding in a legal (often recommend)
way, with low risk associated with them continuing to act in the same
way, would be to do nothing.

What? Not even apply the brakes?

At a stretch it might be reasonable to
express a view to them that you do not like their behaviour.

So why didn't the Critical Mass act in such a reasonable way - and simply
express their dislike of the Olympics and of any associated traffic
restrictions - or even of the liberty enjoyed by citizens in the UK to travel
as they choose - by writing a stiff collective letter of complaint to the
Times? That *would* be reasonable, measured and lawful.

Why do you say, alternatively, that deliberate violent confrontation with the
police was "reasonable" on the part of CM?

Please be consistent.

I'm often surprised by the inability of posters to understand the
simplest of concepts

Exactly so.

You must try *harder* to develop that ability.

One simple concept you might try to understand is that other people are not
your property and that they have rights whether you like it or not (and you
clearly don't like it).
Old August 1st 12, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

wrote:

GB wrote:
I'm with them, the Olympics are a monstrous waste of money and
resources.

Given that the money has been spent, it's too late to prevent that.
All that disrupting the games at this stage does is reduce the value
for money still further.

and lower our prestige internationally, this incident has hit the headlines
world wide, and not in a good way.

The Chinese, South Koreans and Indonesians have done more to damage
(enhance) their country's reputations for unsportsmanlike behaviour
with their antics on the badminton court.

But I do agree with the essence of your remark.

Had the police allowed Critical Mass to go to the Olympic Park, make
their protest peacefully at not being allowed in the zil lanes, the
nation's reputation for tolerating dissenting views would have been
enhanced.

What form would the "peaceful" protest have taken?

Would it have been carried *lawfully*?

Think carefully before answering, as a glib "yes" is likely to incur scornful
derision.

As it is, the draconian measures imposed on cyclists crossing the
Thames northbound, will provide further justification for Assad,
Putin, Kim Young'un, and other odious leaders in their suppression of
dissent.

I'm sure they scan the South London Press every day for examples of such
"brutality".

Can you spell "hyperbole"?
Old August 1st 12, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

But we know only too well that CM are a bunch of ****s out to cause
trouble. They shouldn't be on the ****ing roads, let alone in the zil
lanes. Who the **** do they think they are?

As it is, the draconian measures imposed on cyclists crossing the
Thames northbound, will provide further justification for Assad,
Putin, Kim Young'un, and other odious leaders in their suppression of
dissent.

Hopefully it will justify use of the Public Order Act against future CM's.

Your frankly idiotic comments 'almost' qualify under Goodwins Law.
vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old August 1st 12, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

GB wrote:
[...]

It has been suggested that it would be a bike ride along one of the
Olympic routes, staying out of the zil lanes, similar to the ride I
escorted some Chinese guests along last Wednesday.

Would it have been carried *lawfully*?

I would very much hope so.

Think carefully before answering, as a glib "yes" is likely to incur scornful
derision.

As it is, the draconian measures imposed on cyclists crossing the
Thames northbound, will provide further justification for Assad,
Putin, Kim Young'un, and other odious leaders in their suppression of
dissent.

I'm sure they scan the South London Press every day for examples of such
"brutality".

Can you spell "hyperbole"?

If we are going to tell other world leaders about how they behave
towards peaceful protest, we should make sure we are not being
hypocritical.
Old August 1st 12, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

GB wrote:
[...]

The one were you deliberately held up the traffic & delighted in doing so?

"We rode at about 8mph in the inside lane.

Several new looking cars and coaches passed us in the games lane, all
with the official 2012 logo. Ahead of us the road was clear all the
way to our turn off to Stratford. But behind us was a long line of
beeping and fuming motor vehicles.

It is really very funny. I must get out on my bike more often during
the Games".