Another one killed on a pavement and a wall smashed!

Old June 7th 10, 06:55 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default Another one killed on a pavement and a wall smashed!

Doug wrote:
This is becoming routine.

No it isn't

Why can't drivers stay off pavements for a
change?

They do, long time since I saw a motor vehicle driven on the footway.

"Man killed when car leaves road in Hendon

One man was killed and another injured when a car veered off the road
and collided with them.

The incident happened at about 0200 BST on Sunday on Hendon Lane, in
Finchley.

A VW Golf left the road and hit the pedestrians, both in their 20s,
before smashing into a wall and catching fire. The second man received
minor injuries.

The driver of the car then left the scene.

There ought to be a law against that.

Police have arrested a 20-
year-old man and he is in custody at a north London police station.

I wonder how the police caught him, maybe they used the number plates on
the vehicle, no it could not have been that, they don't work.

Police are tracing the dead man's next-of-kin and a post-mortem
examination is due to take place.

Officers are asking anyone who saw the incident to contact them."

UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

--
Tony Dragon
Old June 8th 10, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 22:33:00 +0100 someone who may be Elder
wrote this:-

I park fully on the pavement opposite my house.
I have checked, I am breaking no law.

Which part of "[1] that depends on where one is." do you have
difficulty understanding?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Old June 8th 10, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_6_]

David Hansen wrote:

Elder wrote:

I park fully on the pavement opposite my house.
I have checked, I am breaking no law.

Which part of "[1] that depends on where one is." do you have
difficulty understanding?

You (Hansen) had actually written:

"...*All* those cars and other motor vehicles with one or more wheels on the
pavement. If the police were as anti-motorist as the usual suspects claim
then they could make a lot of money by ticketing the owners of *all* these
vehicles".

[my emphasis]

Which part of "all" (iterated twice) do you have difficulty understanding in
your own writing?
Old June 9th 10, 01:08 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
GT[_2_]

"Doug" wrote in message
This is becoming routine.

No it isn't

Why can't drivers stay off pavements for a change?

*off* pavements 'for a change'. Actually driving along the pavement is 'for
a change'. The vaaaast majority of journeys are made along roads!

Old June 10th 10, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:08:20 +0200 someone who may be "GT"
wrote this:-

*off* pavements 'for a change'. Actually driving along the pavement is 'for
a change'. The vaaaast majority of journeys are made along roads!

I checked the cyclists I saw in town yesterday. All were cycling
along the road, though a few used the pavement for a short period in
order to get to a parking place.

I do see cyclists using the pavements, but I see motorists using
them too and the scattering of motor vehicles on pavements shows
that many motorists use pavements while I'm not looking.

Old June 10th 10, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Anon[_3_]

David Hansen said:

I do see cyclists using the pavements, but I see motorists using
them too and the scattering of motor vehicles on pavements shows
that many motorists use pavements while I'm not looking.

Theres a difference between driving/riding on the pavement and parking
there.
One may cause inconvenience, the other danger.

--
JC at 2010-06-10 13:01:35
Old June 10th 10, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
GT

wrote this:-

*off* pavements 'for a change'. Actually driving along the pavement is
'for
a change'. The vaaaast majority of journeys are made along roads!

I checked the cyclists I saw in town yesterday. All were cycling
along the road, though a few used the pavement for a short period in
order to get to a parking place.

I do see cyclists using the pavements, but I see motorists using
them too and the scattering of motor vehicles on pavements shows
that many motorists use pavements while I'm not looking.

I think we need to clarify one point which is vague in your - some motorists
do legally park on pavements. The law allows this so long as there is
sufficient space for pushchairs / wheelchairs to still get past. However, in
my few hundred thousand miles of motoring, I have never seen a car *driving*
on a pavement. On the other hand, cyclists frequently cycle along pavements,
as well as park there. Whist not relevant to the original post, this is the
difference. In the original post, Doug implied that the entire journey was
made along the pavement resulting in an accident (sorry Doug, resulting in a
"deliberate") and he asked why motorists can't keep off the pavements for a
change. His implication was flawed, making his subsequent utterings
irrelevant. Yet we will argue about it!!

Old June 10th 10, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On 10 Jun 2010 12:03:33 GMT someone who may be "Anon"
wrote this:-

Theres a difference between driving/riding on the pavement and parking
there.
One may cause inconvenience, the other danger.

Yes. Parking on the pavement causes danger in several ways. Firstly
by forcing people, particularly those in wheelchairs, with large
prams and with lots of luggage out into the road. Secondly by
damaging the pavement and thus making trips and falls more likely,
elderly people are particularly vulnerable to life-threatening trips
and falls.

Cycling on the pavement on the other hand mostly causes
inconvenience. It can cause danger, though this is easy to quantify
by looking at the number of pedestrians on the pavement killed by
motorists and by cyclists.

Glad you made my point for me. Have a nice day.

Old June 10th 10, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:35:18 +0100 someone who may be "GT"
wrote this:-

some motorists do legally park on pavements.

Whether it is legal or not depends on where one is.

I know of no law in any part of the UK where the legality depends on
there being space for people to get past the obstruction.

However, in
my few hundred thousand miles of motoring, I have never seen a car *driving*
on a pavement.

An interesting example of motoring lobby sleight of hand. It is the
motorist who drives along the pavement, not the car, just as it is
the cyclist who rides along the pavement, not the bike.

If you haven't seen a motorist driving along the pavement then I am
glad you live such a sheltered life.