How about this for a crazy whacky idea!!!

Old June 10th 10, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David[_11_]

Default How about this for a crazy whacky idea!!!

Those who wish to wear helmets, do so.
Those who wish not to, don't.

QED

There we go, no need for anymore helmet discussions ever again.

End of thread

--
David
www.waterfalls.me.uk

Old June 10th 10, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 10 June, 11:47, "David" wrote:
Those who wish to wear helmets, do so.
Those who wish not to, don't.

QED

There we go, no need for anymore helmet discussions ever again.

End of thread

--
Davidwww.waterfalls.me.uk

But won't someone think of the children?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin
Old June 10th 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David[_11_]

wrote in message news:1ba0134e-014e-4b0d-a795-
But won't someone think of the children?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The health benefits of cycling far outway the negatives of having an
accident.

Old June 10th 10, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:47:18 +0100, David wrote:
Those who wish to wear helmets, do so.
Those who wish not to, don't.

QED

There we go, no need for anymore helmet discussions ever again.

Unless anyone is campaigning for mandatory helmets, of course. Anyone
like Martlew or BeHIT for example.

Unless public money is spent trying to convince people that cycling is
really dangerous unless you wear a hat, like that whack-a-cyclist
game.

Unless the government has said that they will consider mandating it if
wearing rates rise.

Unless insurance companies try and weasel out of payments on
contributory negligence grounds.

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old June 10th 10, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On 10 June, 11:47, "David" wrote:
Those who wish to wear helmets, do so.
Those who wish not to, don't.

QED

There we go, no need for anymore helmet discussions ever again.

End of thread

--
Davidwww.waterfalls.me.uk

Sadly you are wrong, there always has been and possibly always will be
a percentage of people who consider that they know how you should live
your life better than you do, until all of them are exterminated
someone will be telling you what to do for your own good.
Old June 10th 10, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ash[_2_]

On 10 June, 12:00, "David" wrote:
wrote in message news:1ba0134e-014e-4b0d-a795-
But won't someone think of the children?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The health benefits of cycling far outway the negatives of having an
accident.

That would depend entirely upon whether you manage to avoid a serious
head injury when you have a head/solid object interface whilst moving
at a speed which you would not normally move about at on foot. You
generally think you are invincible until you come a cropper, and then
the wisdom of hindsight is a wonderful thing. But here is the rub - it
is too late by that time and you have to live with an injury which
could be for all intents and purposes be substantially reduced.

I visited a friend in the head injury rehab ward in Frenchay a few
years ago. Riding a downhill path on a hill near Dursley and a deer
cut across the path in front of him and took him out. He ended up
having part of his skull removed to relieve the pressure on his brain
and lost about 2 weeks of memories as well as about a month stay in
hospital. He wasn't wearing a hat - He does now though.

Visiting these head injury wards is fairly distressing to see the poor
sods in them so screwed up. You can mend a broken limb, but you can't
really put someones brain back together if it has been shaken up with
so much force.

Sure other injuries can rob people of mobility, but a brain injury can
make a stranger of your best friend or loved one . Mitigating against
this by using a cycle hat is really a no brainer - excuse the pun..
Old June 11th 10, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:46:03 -0700 (PDT), ash wrote:
On 10 June, 12:00, "David" wrote:
wrote in message news:1ba0134e-014e-4b0d-a795-
But won't someone think of the children?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The health benefits of cycling far outway the negatives of having an
accident.

That would depend entirely upon whether you manage to avoid a serious
head injury when you have a head/solid object interface whilst moving
at a speed which you would not normally move about at on foot.

No, it does not.

It depends more strongly on whether you have a head - solid object
collision.

If wearing a helmet makes that even slightly more likely, you should
avoid them like the plague.

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old June 11th 10, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

On 06/10/2010 11:46 PM, ash wrote:
On 10 June, 12:00, wrote:
[...]

Somehow I don't think David's comment was meant to be taken too
seriously. s/accident/fatal accident/ and you see why.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old June 11th 10, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David[_11_]

"ash" wrote in message
I visited a friend in the head injury rehab ward in Frenchay a few
years ago. Riding a downhill path on a hill near Dursley and a deer
cut across the path in front of him and took him out.

Mmmm, off road? Down hill?
Nobody here would deny the benefits of a lid in the above situation.

Old June 11th 10, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

David wrote:
"ash" wrote in message
I visited a friend in the head injury rehab ward in Frenchay a few
years ago. Riding a downhill path on a hill near Dursley and a deer
cut across the path in front of him and took him out.

Mmmm, off road? Down hill?
Nobody here would deny the benefits of a lid in the above situation.

I'd probably be wearing one. But I wouldn't dismiss as barmy someone
who wasn't for a lot of downhill paths off-road I can think of.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

crazy idea for a short break asterope Australia 25 November 7th 06 02:28 AM
Crazy Idea... trialfreek Unicycling 0 July 17th 06 05:27 PM
Whacky scheme to help ppl start commuting by bike Andrew Reddaway Australia 4 December 19th 04 08:33 AM
Metronome a crazy idea? Pat Fleming Rides 3 December 11th 03 10:46 PM
Metronome a crazy idea? Sorni General 2 December 10th 03 03:56 AM