Another mad cyclist

Old October 4th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

Default Another mad cyclist

Driving through heavy traffic in the rain on an A road and what did I see?
A father riding a bike with his little girl (looked about 3 or 4 years old) on
her little pink bike attached to it behind being towed along. Whether the
father gives a toss about his own safety is one thing , but pulling a little
girl along in such conditions is verging on complete deriliction of parental
responsibility IMO.

B2003

Old October 4th 10, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

wrote:
Driving through heavy traffic in the rain on an A road and what did I
see?
A father riding a bike with his little girl (looked about 3 or 4 years
old) on
her little pink bike attached to it behind being towed along. Whether
the
father gives a toss about his own safety is one thing , but pulling a
little
girl along in such conditions is verging on complete deriliction of
parental
responsibility IMO.

B2003

What's the worry? Are you worried she'll get a chill and die or that
their bikes will skid on the wet roads? Or are you concerned that the
drivers will not have adjusted their driving to take account of the
conditions and might run into them?

If the latter you can relax - the motorists on here repeatedly assure us
it doesn't happen.

--
Tony
Old October 4th 10, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Brimstone[_9_]

wrote in message
Driving through heavy traffic in the rain on an A road and what did I see?
A father riding a bike with his little girl (looked about 3 or 4 years
old) on
her little pink bike attached to it behind being towed along. Whether the
father gives a toss about his own safety is one thing , but pulling a
little
girl along in such conditions is verging on complete deriliction of
parental
responsibility IMO.

As long as all the car drivers are doing their job properly (and we know
they always do, don't we) what's the problem?

Old October 4th 10, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 11:21:40 +0100
"Paul - xxx" wrote:
said in

Driving through heavy traffic in the rain on an A road and what did I
see?
A father riding a bike with his little girl (looked about 3 or 4
years old) on her little pink bike attached to it behind being towed
along. Whether the father gives a toss about his own safety is one
thing , but pulling a little girl along in such conditions is verging
on complete deriliction of parental responsibility IMO.

You saw him and her with enough time to see details of father, daughter, how
they were riding and presumably you chose to go round/past them so what's
the problem?

If you saw them, others ought to too.

So you think its ok to have a 4 year old girl riding on a busy A road with cars
trucks and buses overtaking them all the time with a father who can't even
see whats happening to her unless turns around.

I hope you don't have kids.

B2003

Old October 4th 10, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
bod

On 04/10/2010 11:02, Brimstone wrote:

wrote in message
Driving through heavy traffic in the rain on an A road and what did I
see?
A father riding a bike with his little girl (looked about 3 or 4 years
old) on
her little pink bike attached to it behind being towed along. Whether the
father gives a toss about his own safety is one thing , but pulling a
little
girl along in such conditions is verging on complete deriliction of
parental
responsibility IMO.

As long as all the car drivers are doing their job properly (and we know
they always do, don't we) what's the problem?

I would expect that car drivers would automatically take 'more' care on
seeing a situation like that.

Bod
Old October 4th 10, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 11:02:17 +0100
"Brimstone" wrote:
wrote in message
Driving through heavy traffic in the rain on an A road and what did I see?
A father riding a bike with his little girl (looked about 3 or 4 years
old) on
her little pink bike attached to it behind being towed along. Whether the
father gives a toss about his own safety is one thing , but pulling a
little
girl along in such conditions is verging on complete deriliction of
parental
responsibility IMO.

As long as all the car drivers are doing their job properly (and we know
they always do, don't we) what's the problem?

She was quite low down and it would be quite easy for a driver not to see
her if he wasn't paying proper attention. Still, if making some sort of
eco/lifestyle statement is worth the life of his daughter then I guess thats
his choice.

B2003

Old October 4th 10, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Brimstone[_9_]

wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 11:02:17 +0100
"Brimstone" wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

So you're accepting that any incident would be the fault of a car driver.
Why do we constantly have to descend to the lowest level rather than
encourage people to improve themselves?

Old October 4th 10, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Brimstone[_9_]

wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 11:21:40 +0100
"Paul - xxx" wrote:
said in

[...]

As you observed, the girl's machine is securely attached to the adult's. If
it was anything like those I've seen, the girls was riding, effectively, on
a single wheel trailer. What is going to happen to her?