"Cyclist talks of impact collision had on his life"

Old March 8th 12, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default "Cyclist talks of impact collision had on his life"

It also says that 15% of cyclists hit by a car are likely to die.

"I've just met an extremely inspiring cyclist called Andrew Curran.

He was hit by a car while out cycling near Box Hill last May and
nearly died. It was three weeks before his wedding.

Here is my full interview with him:..."

More with video.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.
Old March 8th 12, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 22:35:46 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

It also says that 15% of cyclists hit by a car are likely to die.

"I've just met an extremely inspiring cyclist called Andrew Curran.

He was hit by a car while out cycling near Box Hill last May and
nearly died. It was three weeks before his wedding.

Here is my full interview with him:..."

More with video.

Oh God! Now you've let the cat out of the bag...

"He is also an advocate of cycling helmets and says wearing one saved
his life. He's getting married soon. We wish him well."
Old March 8th 12, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

wrote:

It also says that 15% of cyclists hit by a car are likely to die.

"I've just met an extremely inspiring cyclist called Andrew Curran.

He was hit by a car while out cycling near Box Hill last May and
nearly died. It was three weeks before his wedding.

Here is my full interview with him:..."

More with video.

Oh God! Now you've let the cat out of the bag...

"He is also an advocate of cycling helmets and says wearing one saved
his life. He's getting married soon. We wish him well."

Hmm! So how then did he get a fractured skull and his helmet didn't
protect him against his several other very serious, life-threatening
injuries. Helmets are merely a tokenistic protection perception, like
all the other advice handed out to cyclists in an attempt to divert
responsibility away from the real danger posed to cyclists, which is
dangerous drivers who are allowed to continue using our roads.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old March 8th 12, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

It also says that 15% of cyclists hit by a car are likely to die.

"I've just met an extremely inspiring cyclist called Andrew Curran.

He was hit by a car while out cycling near Box Hill last May and
nearly died. It was three weeks before his wedding.

Here is my full interview with him:..."

More with video.

Oh God! Now you've let the cat out of the bag...

"He is also an advocate of cycling helmets and says wearing one saved
his life. He's getting married soon. We wish him well."

Hmm! So how then did he get a fractured skull

From impact (mechanical) damage to the skull which would otherwise have been
worse (meaning fatal)?

and his helmet didn't
protect him against his several other very serious, life-threatening
injuries.

But then again, it wasn't meant to, was it?

Just like air-bags and a fastened seat belt won't sufficiently protect the
driver and most passengers in a car which slams into an underground concrete
pillar at 70 mph.
Old March 8th 12, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 8, 6:35*am, Doug wrote:
It also says that 15% of cyclists hit by a car are likely to die.

"I've just met an extremely inspiring cyclist called Andrew Curran.

He was hit by a car while out cycling near Box Hill last May and
nearly died. It was three weeks before his wedding.

Here is my full interview with him:..."

More with video.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

A very sobering story - thanks for sharing it with us.
Those stories are one reason that I give thanks every day that I am
fit and healthy.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 8th 12, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 08/03/2012 08:05, Simon Mason wrote:
On Mar 8, 6:35 am, wrote:
It also says that 15% of cyclists hit by a car are likely to die.

"I've just met an extremely inspiring cyclist called Andrew Curran.

He was hit by a car while out cycling near Box Hill last May and
nearly died. It was three weeks before his wedding.

Here is my full interview with him:..."

More with video.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

A very sobering story

Oh the irony...

University
Old March 8th 12, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

[...]

The Porky Chapman Helmet Test.

1] Wear a cycle helmet & allow someone to hit you on the head with a hammer.
2] Repeat, but without wearing the cycle helmet.
Record which one hurts the most & causes most trauma.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to thrill.

University
Old March 8th 12, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:

It also says that 15% of cyclists hit by a car are likely to die.

"I've just met an extremely inspiring cyclist called Andrew Curran.

He was hit by a car while out cycling near Box Hill last May and
nearly died. It was three weeks before his wedding.

Here is my full interview with him:..."

More with video.

Oh God! Now you've let the cat out of the bag...

"He is also an advocate of cycling helmets and says wearing one saved
his life. He's getting married soon. We wish him well."

Ah well - that his his chioce.
After a few weeks he will chuck it into the bin as a waste of time
like my mate did after his lass got him to wear one.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 8th 12, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

JNugent wrote:

wrote:

It also says that 15% of cyclists hit by a car are likely to die.

"I've just met an extremely inspiring cyclist called Andrew Curran.

He was hit by a car while out cycling near Box Hill last May and
nearly died. It was three weeks before his wedding.

Here is my full interview with him:..."

More with video.

Oh God! Now you've let the cat out of the bag...

"He is also an advocate of cycling helmets and says wearing one saved
his life. He's getting married soon. We wish him well."

Hmm! So how then did he get a fractured skull

From impact (mechanical) damage to the skull which would otherwise have been
worse (meaning fatal)?

thats rather unlikely.

and his helmet didn't
protect him against his several other very serious, life-threatening
injuries.

But then again, it wasn't meant to, was it?

Just like air-bags and a fastened seat belt won't sufficiently protect the
driver and most passengers in a car which slams into an underground concrete
pillar at 70 mph.

are you really comparing airbags and seatbelts to cycle helmet?

Roger
Old March 8th 12, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 00:05:07 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Mar 8, 6:35*am, Doug wrote:
It also says that 15% of cyclists hit by a car are likely to die.

"I've just met an extremely inspiring cyclist called Andrew Curran.

He was hit by a car while out cycling near Box Hill last May and
nearly died. It was three weeks before his wedding.

Here is my full interview with him:..."

More with video.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

A very sobering story - thanks for sharing it with us.
Those stories are one reason that I give thanks every day that I am
fit and healthy.

"give thanks" - eh?

To anyone in particular? Do I detect a god-botherer?