Games Lanes

Old July 25th 12, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

Default Games Lanes

A ****wit on uk.rec.cycling has posted how hilarious it was for him, as part of
a group of cyclists, to cycle along the inside lane, (outside lane being a
Games Lane) - holding up the traffic. As he said:

"Ahead of us the road was clear all the
way to our turn off to Stratford. But behind us was a long line of
beeping and fuming motor vehicles."

Cannot vehicles (legally) enter the Games Lane in order to overtake a peloton
of ****wits?

Old July 26th 12, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 25/07/2012 23:22, Judith wrote:

A ****wit on uk.rec.cycling has posted how hilarious it was for him, as part of
a group of cyclists, to cycle along the inside lane, (outside lane being a
Games Lane) - holding up the traffic. As he said:

"Ahead of us the road was clear all the
way to our turn off to Stratford. But behind us was a long line of
beeping and fuming motor vehicles."

Cannot vehicles (legally) enter the Games Lane in order to overtake a peloton
of ****wits?

Whoever did that must be incredibly immature and a really sad ****.

University

Old July 26th 12, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
thirty-six

On Jul 25, 11:22*pm, Judith wrote:
A ****wit on uk.rec.cycling has posted how hilarious it was for him, as part of
a group of cyclists, to cycle along the inside lane, (outside lane being a
Games Lane) - holding up the traffic. *As he said:

"Ahead of us the road was clear all the
way to our turn off to Stratford. But behind us was a long line of
beeping and fuming motor vehicles."

Cannot vehicles (legally) enter the Games Lane in order to overtake a peloton
of ****wits?

ROTFLMFAO

Ooh my chest, can someone advise whether a claim for inducement of a
coughing fit by a ****, leading to considerable pain and
breathlessness for a considrably extended time and a bump on my head,
is likely to succeed in a UK court? I'd like to seek damages in the
region of 14k.
Old July 26th 12, 03:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Turk182

On Jul 25, 11:22*pm, Judith wrote:
A ****wit on uk.rec.cycling has posted how hilarious it was for him, as part of
a group of cyclists, to cycle along the inside lane, (outside lane being a
Games Lane) - holding up the traffic. *As he said:

"Ahead of us the road was clear all the
way to our turn off to Stratford. But behind us was a long line of
beeping and fuming motor vehicles."

Cannot vehicles (legally) enter the Games Lane in order to overtake a peloton
of ****wits?

Games lanes are for runners and their rich sponsors. They are NOT for
doctors, nurses, people caring for the elderly, people trying to get
hospital appointments, gravediggers, vicars, train drivers, bus
drivers (on their way to work), dentists, solicitors, teachers, prison
staff, cleaners, airport staff, airline passengers etc etc. Olympic
lanes are for people who like running and throwing things and are too
self-obsessed to get a job helping people. So we hinder everyoner
else in London to make sure that politicians don't get embarrased by
the fact that London is always at a standstill.

The public come last as usual.

Turk182
Old July 26th 12, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

On 26/07/2012 03:42, Turk182 wrote:
[...]

You are, in many cases, preaching to the converted.

"Olympic lanes" are merely the latest manifestation of the "privileged versus
non-persons" mentality of traffic planners since the late 1960s. We normally
call them "bus lanes". The principle is the same.
Old July 26th 12, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_11_]

Turk182 wrote:

Games lanes are for runners and their rich sponsors. They are NOT for
doctors, nurses, people caring for the elderly, people trying to get
hospital appointments, gravediggers, vicars, train drivers, bus
drivers (on their way to work), dentists, solicitors, teachers, prison
staff, cleaners, airport staff, airline passengers etc etc. Olympic
lanes are for people who like running and throwing things and are too
self-obsessed to get a job helping people. So we hinder everyoner
else in London to make sure that politicians don't get embarrased by
the fact that London is always at a standstill.

The public come last as usual.

I wonder why the affected public don't just rebel and use the Zil lanes
as normal. What could the authorities do? Put tanks on the streets?
It would effectively render the law useless, and clog up the legal
system for years.

If I were one of the organisers, it's so awful a prospect I wouldn't
even like to think about it. It's surely only a matter of time before
civil obedience breaks down. Will it be before the games, during them
or, phew, only when they're over? I reckon it's touch and go.

Old July 26th 12, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Turk182

On 26 July, 09:16, "Norman Wells" wrote:
Turk182 wrote:
[...]

There is an awful lot people could do in the lanes they CAN go in, in
order to slow down the process even further. But I suggest, that this
won't be required. The cost to business along the routes where
traffic is absolutely prevented from parking will be enormous. The
amount of bad feeling created reflects the lack of imagination our
politicians have in any project they apply themselves too. We could
not afford this enforced holiday and additional cost to people and
business. The horrendous cost to tourism will become clearer but I
have been told holidays in the UK are down. The hotels, even the
Holiday Inns in London, have now reduced their prices from hundreds to
80 or so as they can't get rid of them. The lag will hit us again
for a few years.

I wish Olympic goers well and the same to tourists, but the government
is wishing to associate itself to the 'success' of the Olympics
(whatever that means) - I think we will judge the politicians not by
how they sat in a box surrounded by armed guards and cheered the
British athletes, but by the near starving children who live within 3
miles of Buckinham Palace and the Houses of Parliament. The Olympics
site in time will become a centre for gambling, as the government now
loosens control on people burning money.

We are heading for a wake-up call. If we are here to support and
celebrate humans, then the Olympics has already failed. The role
model of a British winner will not help a destitute family find jobs -
the more we think it will , the more we betray our potential.

If the Olympics were an all time success beyond our beliefs, the
takings would be scooped up by Seb Coe, the banksters and big business
but would not find it's way into the pockets of people who need a
job. They are now priced out of work being replaced by automatic
tills and the demise of manufacturing. We are not all in it
together. David Cameron's words are really, "YOU are all in it
together" - he has already lined up my Blairesque business links for
when he steps down with one of the usual suspects like JP Morgan.

The Olympics is a bit of expensive gloss for TV - no more. Kelly
Holmes is wheeled out and patronised by the politically correct media
on skin colour / female / winner credentials, but we do not want or
need a nation of Kelly Holmes - Britian can be as proud as it wants
but it needs working skills and good education.

All the boys in London schools say they want to be a footballer - they
are preparing for nothing else. How many will becomes a Beckham I
wonder - the rest will be on the dole!

Turk182
Old July 26th 12, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:16:31 +0100, "Norman Wells"
wrote:

Turk182 wrote:

Games lanes are for runners and their rich sponsors. They are NOT for
doctors, nurses, people caring for the elderly, people trying to get
hospital appointments, gravediggers, vicars, train drivers, bus
drivers (on their way to work), dentists, solicitors, teachers, prison
staff, cleaners, airport staff, airline passengers etc etc. Olympic
lanes are for people who like running and throwing things and are too
self-obsessed to get a job helping people. So we hinder everyoner
else in London to make sure that politicians don't get embarrased by
the fact that London is always at a standstill.

The public come last as usual.

I wonder why the affected public don't just rebel and use the Zil lanes
as normal. What could the authorities do? Put tanks on the streets?
It would effectively render the law useless, and clog up the legal
system for years.

That ploy brought about the end to the M4 bus lane after Tony Blair
led the way and rebelled against the lane introduced by his deputy,
John Prescott.

Muscovites also rebelled against the Kremlin Lanes in Moscow, designed
to keep officials moving from their high end official residences to
the Kremlin, while fellow comrades were left stranded in endless
delays on the narrow lanes.

Old July 26th 12, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

wrote:

Turk182 wrote:

[...]

Whilst it's not a matter of personal importance for me day to day, and whilst
it's easy enough for me to say (since I wouldn't be involved), it would be
fun to see Londoners (whether residential or occupational Londoners)
rebelling against the Mad Ken lanes and causing such delay that the games
were disrupted.

We'd all remember that for years to come, long after no-one can recall who
won the 100 metre hurdles (or whatever).
Old July 26th 12, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:54:35 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 26/07/2012 03:42, Turk182 wrote:
> On Jul 25, 11:22 pm, Judith > wrote:
>> A ****wit on uk.rec.cycling has posted how hilarious it was for him, as part of
>> a group of cyclists, to cycle along the inside lane, (outside lane being a
>> Games Lane) - holding up the traffic. As he said:
>>
>> "Ahead of us the road was clear all the
>> way to our turn off to Stratford. But behind us was a long line of
>> beeping and fuming motor vehicles."
>>
>> Cannot vehicles (legally) enter the Games Lane in order to overtake a peloton
>> of ****wits?
>
> Games lanes are for runners and their rich sponsors. They are NOT for
> doctors, nurses, people caring for the elderly, people trying to get
> hospital appointments, gravediggers, vicars, train drivers, bus
> drivers (on their way to work), dentists, solicitors, teachers, prison
> staff, cleaners, airport staff, airline passengers etc etc. Olympic
> lanes are for people who like running and throwing things and are too
> self-obsessed to get a job helping people. So we hinder everyoner
> else in London to make sure that politicians don't get embarrased by
> the fact that London is always at a standstill.
>
> The public come last as usual.

You are, in many cases, preaching to the converted.

"Olympic lanes" are merely the latest manifestation of the "privileged versus
non-persons" mentality of traffic planners since the late 1960s. We normally
call them "bus lanes". The principle is the same.

The pensioners and schoolkids on the bus will be nonplussed at being described as the elite.

200 quid fine for cycling in 'Games Lanes' Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 27 June 22nd 11 03:22 PM
Free online Games play and free download – Intelligent games [email protected] UK 0 February 29th 08 10:38 AM
Free online Games play and free download - Intelligent games [email protected] General 0 February 29th 08 08:35 AM
"games lanes" eddiec Australia 6 March 8th 06 10:01 PM
Left Turn Lanes - split lanes or wait behing in the line ?? Ravi General 11 November 3rd 04 10:11 PM