Police to arrest cyclists?

Old July 28th 12, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default Police to arrest cyclists?

I wonder if the police will arrest cyclists taking part in the Olympic
road race today:

=====Selective Quote=====
Imposing conditions on public processions.

(1)If the senior police officer, having regard to the time or place at
which and the circumstances in which any public procession is being
held or is intended to be held and to its route or proposed route,
reasonably believes that—

(a)it may result in serious public disorder, serious damage to
property or serious disruption to the life of the community, or

[...]

he may give directions imposing on the persons organising or taking
part in the procession such conditions as appear to him necessary to
prevent such disorder, damage, disruption or intimidation, including
conditions as to the route of the procession or prohibiting it from
entering any public place specified in the directions.
=====/Selective Quote=====

There is little doubt that the road race will lead to serious
disruption to the life of the community. Certainly more so than the CM
ride last night.
Old July 28th 12, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 28/07/2012 08:43, Bertie Wooster wrote:
[...]

"may", not "shall".

Context is everything.

Do you understand how law is framed and interpreted?

Ask Lee.

He'll enlighten you.

Or perhaps not.
Old July 28th 12, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

On Jul 28, 10:13*am, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I know you're just being sarcastic, and that you don't think Phil Lee
knows anything about the law. This is foolhardy in the extreme as he
clearly knows a great deal more than you.

It's clear that you think all cyclists are completely incompetent at
everything. Why do you think that? I bet you can't provide a
convincing answer.

Are you angry with Phil Lee for knowing more than you?
Old July 29th 12, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 28/07/2012 23:29, M Wicks wrote:
[...]

REALLY?

Are you absolutely SURE about that?

Be wary...

It's clear that you think all cyclists are completely incompetent at
everything.

Wrong.

Some cyclists are perfect gentlemen and obey all traffic law as well as the
Highway Code.

OTOH, some don't (and aren't).

Which group are you in?

Why do you think that? I bet you can't provide a convincing answer.
Are you angry with Phil Lee for knowing more than you?

Er... no.

See whether you can work out why.
Old July 29th 12, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 28/07/2012 21:41, Phil W Lee wrote:
"Zapp Brannigan" considered Sat, 28 Jul 2012
18:07:37 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
Bertie Wooster considered Sat, 28 Jul 2012
08:43:47 +0100 the perfect time to write:

I wonder if the police will arrest cyclists taking part in the Olympic
road race today:

=====Selective Quote=====
Imposing conditions on public processions.

(1)If the senior police officer, having regard to the time or place at
which and the circumstances in which any public procession is being
held or is intended to be held and to its route or proposed route,
reasonably believes that—

(a)it may result in serious public disorder, serious damage to
property or serious disruption to the life of the community, or

Note the first word - IF.
As he had no /reasonable/ belief that the procession would cause any
trouble, the order was unlawful.

Unfortunately it is the senior police officer's opinion which is pertinent
here, not yours.

Ah yes, never let the facts get in the way when you want to persecute
someone.

If a senior police officer had the opinion that David Cameron was a
terrorist plant, would he make an armed raid on number 10 in the small
hours of the morning?

Without any grounds for the belief, it is not reasonable.

Is there a point to any of that?

[Yes]

[No]

(delete as appropriate)

Old July 29th 12, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

[...]

M'Lud Lee is an even bigger **** than you are.

University
Old July 29th 12, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:29:43 -0700 (PDT), M Wicks wrote:

snip

I know you're just being sarcastic, and that you don't think Phil Lee
knows anything about the law. This is foolhardy in the extreme as he
clearly knows a great deal more than you.

I know that he is an expert on all legal matters. he taught me all of the
following:

If you find 2 abreast cyclists more obstructive than single file ones, you must
have been intending to pass dangerously close anyway.

If you claim to be held up by a cyclist, you are admitting to dangerous
driving, since the only way you could be held up is if your intention was to
pass dangerously close.

Commenting on a legal gate in a public park: I'd think it comes under the
heading of "causing an obstruction",
and should be investigated by the police as such.

If Traffic Lights are not working, then you can telephone the police for
permission to proceed.
If this is not forthcoming, then you can reports it as "unlawful detention".

The police have clearly not been persuaded by the Law Lords, and still
try to treat the procession as unlawful. In this they are now equally
clearly in contempt of court.

It could usefilly sic be pointed out to motorists that if they are within
range of a swung D lock, they are too close, and could be held liable
for any collision (including with the D lock).

If you are watching your kids in the rear view mirror, you are not
driving safely or legally.

I would find it very hard to condemn anyone who beat the van driver
into permanent inability to drive

I hope he hits you next, then we can all have a good laugh.
With any luck, you will be a dribbling vegetable in permanent pain
afterwards, but will continue your sad existence for many painful
decades.

If the *******s won't do anything about the taxi driver risking
people's lives by dangerous driving, book him to take your kids on a
trip, then report him for kiddy-fiddling. He'll never drive a taxi
again.
Old July 30th 12, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
"Zapp Brannigan" considered Sat, 28 Jul 2012
22:13:47 +0100 the perfect time to write:

news
"Phil W Lee" wrote in message

As he had no /reasonable/ belief that the procession would cause
any trouble, the order was unlawful.

Unfortunately it is the senior police officer's opinion which is
pertinent here, not yours.

Ah yes, never let the facts get in the way when you want to
persecute someone.

If a senior police officer had the opinion that David Cameron was a
terrorist plant, would he make an armed raid on number 10 in the
small hours of the morning?

Without any grounds for the belief, it is not reasonable.

The accused persons will have the opportunity to make a defence on
that basis.

The Met will set out the scale of the event they were tasked to
protect, the scale of threat to that event, and the disruption
already being suffered by the local community. They will present
their assessment of the risks presented by an uncontrolled mob
invasion of unknown protestors with diverse motives.

The court will then decide whether the police commander had any
reasonable basis for concern. I think it is inevitable and right
that they will find for the Police on this point, but we'll have to
wait and see.

The police have apparently realised that they can't make any
justification for nearly all the arrests, and have released them
without charge. The only ones they've charged are those against whom
they have some OTHER charge.

So all the disruption and nearly all the arrests were, by the polices
own admission, unfounded.

I hope the IPCC will investigate the senior officer concerned, with a
view to prosecution for his instigation of this vendetta.

I hope he gets a commendation for lessening the nuisance the cyclists
attempted to cause, it would be great if this (arresting and charging of
troublemakers) could happen every time cyclorabble get on the streets to try
and disrupt other people's lives.

Old July 30th 12, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/07/2012 17:14, Phil W Lee wrote:
"Zapp Brannigan" considered Sat, 28 Jul 2012
22:13:47 +0100 the perfect time to write:

news
"Phil W Lee" wrote in message

[...]

Not very bright are you?

If you want to get rid of 180 ****wits who are annoying you, you just
nick them. Game over.

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old July 31st 12, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 31/07/2012 01:38, Phil W Lee wrote:
"Zapp Brannigan" considered Mon, 30 Jul 2012
23:59:48 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Zapp Brannigan" considered Sat, 28 Jul 2012

The court will then decide whether the police commander had any reasonable
basis for concern. I think it is inevitable and right that they will
find
for the Police on this point, but we'll have to wait and see.

The police have apparently realised that they can't make any
justification for nearly all the arrests, and have released them
without charge.

Bailing a suspect does not in any way signify that they are innocent.
Quite the opposite, it means there are still alleged offences under
investigation. Even murder suspects have a (rebuttable) entitlement to
bail, as a moment on google will show.

But perhaps no charges will be brought in the end, after all they've had a
useful educational experience and their DNA etc is now on record to deter
future misconduct. It's a win-win scenario for the Babylon (and a terrible
own goal by the fanatics who tried to disrupt our Olympic opening ceremony).

The only disruption was caused by the police, so we seem to be in
agreement that an own goal by them is the best outcome.

The disruption was clearly caused by cyclist scum who think they are
above the law.

I also hope that the criminals responsible will have their DNA
recorded, and that there will not be any further misconduct.
But on past records, I doubt it.

Agreed, the cyclist scum should all be arrested IMO.

We need some kind of organisation dedicated to enforcement of the law,
that could keep some kind of control over lawless armed thugs roaming
the streets in gang colours and conducting vendettas against anyone
they don't like.

We already do. They are called Policemen. The lawless thugs in lycra
gang colours who hate motorists should be controlled.

We used to have one called the police, but the name has now been
tarnished.

The name has only been tarnished by ****wits like you who think they are
above the law.

Interesting how we have a group of people who think they can do what the
**** they like - riot, jump lights, ignore traffic signs, ride on
pavements, ignore speed limits - who don't like Policemen - they are
called cyclists.