Oh God, Not Another Tubeless Tyre Question... Good ideas for patching?

Old February 5th 04, 10:08 PM
FlyingCoyote

Default Oh God, Not Another Tubeless Tyre Question... Good ideas for patching?

FlyingCoyote" wrote in message
m...
The tubeless tire patches seem to be a little beefier. Not sure if there's
anything different about the material or adhesive.

I'd tried regular tube patches first since they are cheaper (and often

free
at events and such) and they usually didn't hold for long, and didn't work
at all on anything bigger than a pinhole. On anything other than tiny pin
holes the patch would blow out of the tire after inflating.

--

A description of the patches states:

"Designed specifically for repairing tubeless tires, with a patch compound
formulated to provide a longer lasting bond with the tire. Wider patch
design makes mounting a snap."

--

FlyingCoyote
http://boarsgut.com

Old February 5th 04, 11:31 PM
Michael Dart

In om,
Jonesy typed:
"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
Westie wrote:
Snip interesting technique of patching a tire

From what I heard you just patch it with normal tube patches and
glue from the inside.
I'm still waiting for my first flat so I haven't had a chance to try
it yet. I carry a spare tube and selfadhesive patches, just to make
sure I can always get home.

Supposedly, you have to clean the inside of the tire at the repair
point with some solvent like toluene. So that the glue and patch will
stick properly. And don't sand the spot first! IIRC, there was an
article in one of the bike rags about this. I'm too lazy to look it
up, tho'.

http://www.tireservicecentral.com/Pr..._Items/Tire_Pa
tches___Chemicals/tire_patches___chemicals_3.htm

It was MBA that had the article. It scairt me from tubeless tires forever.
This stuff is extremely toxic and flammable. It basically involved donning
rubber gloves and respirator (J/K), scrubbing the inside of the tyre with
the buffer, apply the patch and clamp in place the blocks of wood and a
c-clamp.

Mike - I'm 'sticking' with tubes.

Old February 6th 04, 04:08 AM
Westie

Westie wrote:
Well, the super glue hasn't worked.
The holes are no bigger so that's good ;-)
Tubes for now, Slime or Stans when I find it.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old February 6th 04, 01:21 PM
Super Slinky

JeffP said...

Also, I've used quarts of Super glue in my modeling days, I've found that it
sticks to cotton quite well but that on other surfaces, especially flexible
ones, it can just crack off.

Super glue does work well for closing the punctures in tubeless tires.
The holes stay closed. For tubeless punctures, I patch the inside with a
normal patch and super glue the hole closed from the outside.