Mounting Rack/Fender on Single Eyelet

Old January 16th 05, 02:33 PM

Default Mounting Rack/Fender on Single Eyelet

Hi,

I am attempting to modify a CX bike for light touring, and need to
mount a rear rack. There is a single set of eyelets in the rear. Is
it possible to mount the rack and fenders using the same set of
eyelets? Do most rack manufacturers include bolts long enough to do
this? Are there disadvantages to this approach? Will both be
secure? I realize several models made by Tubus and BG have fender
mounting locations built-in to the rack which would solve the dilemna
described above, but I was thinking about trying an Old Man Mountain
rack. I like the idea of attaching the rack to the cantilever bosses,
because my bike does not have seatstay bosses.

Thanks.
Brad

Old January 16th 05, 03:19 PM
Brian Huntley

Brad wrote:

Is it possible to mount the rack and fenders using the same set of
eyelets? Do most rack manufacturers include bolts long enough to do
this? Are there disadvantages to this approach? Will both be
secure?

Yes, no, yes, yes.

Go get some stainless hardware about 4-5 mm longer that what came with
the rack, depending on the thickness of the fender stays. Be sure to
mount the rack closest to the bike frame, with the fender stays
outboard of that.

Old January 16th 05, 07:58 PM
Mike Beauchamp

It shouldnt' be a problem at all..
Here's what I'd do.. put the rack mounts closest to the frame, then the
fender mounts. if you know what I mean. Like, put the rack first, then the
fender then the bolts. The reason being that if you load that rack up with
tons of crap, the bolt would be way less likely to shear or bend or
whatever.

Mike

oups.com...

Old January 17th 05, 06:03 AM
Frank Krygowski

Hi,

I am attempting to modify a CX bike for light touring, and need to
mount a rear rack. There is a single set of eyelets in the rear. Is
it possible to mount the rack and fenders using the same set of
eyelets?

Been there, done that. It worked.

Do most rack manufacturers include bolts long enough to do
this?

Probably not. Mine didn't.

Are there disadvantages to this approach?

Possibly. I like being able to remove the fenders quickly, for
"sportier" rides in good weather. If you mount both items in the most
obvious way, the fenders are a pain to remove.

Here's a possible fix for that: Start with a long stainless steel screw
of the proper size. Start the screw from the _inside_ of the dropout,
and run it all the way down so the threads stick _out_ as far as they can.

Now install your rack over the outward-facing screws. Run the nuts down
to hold it in place. You should still have plenty of thread protruding
out beyond the rack.

Next, mount your fenders on those outward facing screws. Use a second
nut to hold the fenders down. (Some people use a wingnut for that, but
I've never trusted them.)

If you want the fenders off quickly, you don't have to disturb the nuts
that keep the rack in place.

Will both be
secure?

Yes.

I realize several models made by Tubus and BG have fender
mounting locations built-in to the rack which would solve the dilemna
described above, but I was thinking about trying an Old Man Mountain
rack. I like the idea of attaching the rack to the cantilever bosses,
because my bike does not have seatstay bosses.

Hardware store P-clips are the standard solution at that end, if
necessary.

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
SPD pedal opinions - single or double sided ? Hywel & Ros UK 11 December 22nd 03 12:27 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
DF with Single Speeds hope bents don't go that way Mike Recumbent Biking 11 July 31st 03 04:03 PM