RRR: Rainy Ride Report

Old July 13th 06, 02:29 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Default RRR: Rainy Ride Report

MattB wrote:

So it wasn't all I had hoped for but it was fun. Good to see you again
Gary, and good to meet you Salida guys and Mitch finally too! Of course
now that it's Monday and I have to work it looks like the kind of day we
needed to ride Agate. Maybe we'll have better luck next time.

Thanks Matt! I had a great time in spite of the rain and it was great
to finally meet you. Now that CO is my home, we'll meet up more
frequently and I hope before the winter comes to tackle Monarch.

I just got back from the retreat in Moab. Did a little riding there too
. I'll have some pics, video, and a report later.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old July 13th 06, 02:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

MattB wrote:
Craig Brossman wrote:
MattB wrote:

It hardy ever rains much here. When it does, it moves on quickly.
Yeah, right!

snip

Bummer on the seat.

The seat was a bummer just because it cut the ride short (even if the
rain was about to do that anyway). That was the third bike that seat had
been on, so I think I got my money's worth. I just picked up a new WTB
Pure V as a replacement. Those WTB saddles fit me well and I don't want
to mess with something that works for me, especially when my junk is at
stake!

I had to totally bail on Gary and Mitch for Sunday, which was probably
a good thing. Even if we didn't have weather up there (and we would
have) it would have been very muddy, perhaps with more pushing than
riding.

Yeah, I haven't heard from the guys I rode with on Friday, but they had
plans to ride some high stuff around Crested Butte for the rest of the
weekend. I wonder how all that went...
When we were at the top of Monarch making the decision, my young friend
Garrison really wanted to do it anyway. I made the call to not do it and
I still think it was the right choice. I never want to be that guy who
led a group of people (several of whom I had never ridden with) into a
wilderness disaster even though all the signs were there to help me
decide not to.

Never, never talk badly about rain in Colorado, you don't want to ****
off the rain gods.
There is no such thing as too much rain here, even when it keeps one
off the trails for nearly a week.

Indeed, as long as my life isn't floating away in flood waters, it's not
too much. Especially for Western Co. My only complaint about the rain
was the timing. Once I can get out when it's not raining, I'm sure the
conditions will be sweet and tacky. That combined with a full reservoir
and reduced fire danger makes it more than worthwhile.

Matt

Moab turned out to be blue and sunny on Sunday. Gary missed a great ride.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old July 13th 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Shawn wrote:

Mitch and I rode on Friday (w/out rain) and, other than some small
washed out areas, the trails were excellent.

Shawn

Yeah, and more technical than you lead me to believe.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old July 13th 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Shawn wrote:
Crest in September maybe?

Y Y Y E E E S S S ! ! !

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old July 13th 06, 05:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
Shawn wrote:

Mitch and I rode on Friday (w/out rain) and, other than some small
washed out areas, the trails were excellent.

Shawn

Yeah, and more technical than you lead me to believe.

It was the rain. Makes the rocks around here swell ;-)

Shawn