Wanted fold away bike

Old March 3rd 04, 08:24 AM
pete

Default Wanted fold away bike

Wanted fold away bike (suitable for taking on train)

Anyone out there with one to well?

Thanks

Pete

Old March 3rd 04, 04:08 PM
Kaputnik

As far as news groups go, you might have more luck with
rec.bicycles.marketplace.

Always plenty of stuff on Ebay.

If you want a new folder that won't cost too much, consider a Dahon,
http://www.dahon.com/index.htm A lot of their dealers aren't too good
about keeping them in stock, but they'll always order one for you. I
have a Boardwalk D6, which is no where near as good as my Bike Friday,
but it's fine for casual riding and short commutes. Folds up pretty
fast, too.

Old March 3rd 04, 04:18 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On 3 Mar 2004 08:08:55 -0800, (Kaputnik)
wrote:

As far as news groups go, you might have more luck with
rec.bicycles.marketplace.

Always plenty of stuff on Ebay.

If you want a new folder that won't cost too much, consider a Dahon,
http://www.dahon.com/index.htm A lot of their dealers aren't too good
about keeping them in stock, but they'll always order one for you. I
have a Boardwalk D6, which is no where near as good as my Bike Friday,
but it's fine for casual riding and short commutes. Folds up pretty
fast, too.

There's always the gold standard for folding commuter bicycles, the
mighty Brompton:

http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

there are loads of these all over London. Fold down almost as fast as
a copy of the Evening Standard, and very nearly as small. Very cool.
Pricey, but generally regarded as *the* thing for multi-modal
commuting.

-Luigi
Old March 3rd 04, 04:50 PM
Jym Dyer

There's always the gold standard for folding commuter
bicycles, the mighty Brompton:
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

=v= That may be the gold standard for folding, but the
gold standard for riding is Bike Friday:

http://www.bikefriday.com/

_Jym_

Old March 3rd 04, 05:06 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On 03 Mar 2004 08:50:25 -0800, Jym Dyer wrote:

=v= That may be the gold standard for folding, but the
gold standard for riding is Bike Friday:

http://www.bikefriday.com/

I own a Bike Friday Metro for commuting and my wife owns a Breezer.
The Metro is NOT the most elegant folder when folding, although
timewise it can't be more than a 5-10 second difference, even with
standard pedals and fenders. If it is elegance, I think the Breezer,
though heavier, has the better assembly and folding, not to mention
the 7spd internal hub.

Still, prefer the Metro, OTOH, she prefers the Breezer, so I guess it
all works out. Next year is the year for two folding recumbents...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 3rd 04, 06:37 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On 03 Mar 2004 08:50:25 -0800, Jym Dyer wrote:

There's always the gold standard for folding commuter
bicycles, the mighty Brompton:
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

=v= That may be the gold standard for folding, but the
gold standard for riding is Bike Friday:

http://www.bikefriday.com/

The Bike Friday is more of a transportable bicycle than a real
commuter folder like the Brompton--and the OP was looking for
something he could fold and take on his rail commute.

-Luigi
Old March 3rd 04, 07:19 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:37:38 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

The Bike Friday is more of a transportable bicycle than a real
commuter folder like the Brompton--and the OP was looking for
something he could fold and take on his rail commute.

-Luigi

The Bike Friday Metro folds in about 45 seconds to a package a bit
larger than the wheels (although technically the handlebar and stem
doesn't fold). If you don't have fenders and rack, it is lighter than
most other folders. With rack and fenders, it is still very foldable
and easily carried with one hand.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 3rd 04, 08:01 PM
MP

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:18:18 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:
(snip)
There's always the gold standard for folding commuter bicycles, the
mighty Brompton:

http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

there are loads of these all over London. Fold down almost as fast as
a copy of the Evening Standard, and very nearly as small. Very cool.
Pricey, but generally regarded as *the* thing for multi-modal
commuting.

-Luigi

These do have a good reputation. OTOH, last I checked, the absolute
bottom of the line 3 speed no frills Brompton cost $650 in the U.S.
It doesn't take a lot of extras to bring them over $1000. Cheaper in
the UK of course.

You can get several decent Dahon models in the $250 to $400 dollar
range. 3 speeds, or 6 or 8 speed derailleur models.

Old March 3rd 04, 08:04 PM
MP

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:01:15 -0500, MP
wrote:
SNIP

These do have a good reputation. OTOH, last I checked, the absolute
bottom of the line 3 speed no frills Brompton cost $650 in the U.S.
It doesn't take a lot of extras to bring them over $1000. Cheaper in
the UK of course.

And, equally of course, only now do I notice that the OP is posting
from the UK. So he may be able to find a used Brompton at a
reasonable price.
Old March 3rd 04, 08:39 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message
:

You can get several decent Dahon models in the $250 to $400 dollar
range. 3 speeds, or 6 or 8 speed derailleur models.

True. But the Brompton will outlast the Dahon. The Brompton is just
amazing - and I am saving up for one!

--
Guy
===