For all Virginia cyclists: support SB 252 and SB 101

Old February 26th 04, 04:53 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Default The League these days [was: For all Virginia cyclists: support SB 252 and SB 101]

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:08:51 -0500, "frkrygow"
wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:

In all seriousness Luigi, thanks for posting this. I got an email newsletter
from the Bikeleague today, and they had no mention of it. Why not, says I?

Possibly because the League is now putting far too much priority on
raising money, and far too little on preserving our rights to the road. :-(

See http://www.labreform.org/

For your benefit, mr. K, I'm going to refrain from making the obvious
Maoist reference to the masses being the true bastion of iron....It
would probably ignite a debate as to the merits of frame materials
anyway.

But anyway. I'm a dues-paying (if somewhat inactive) member of the
Washington Area Bicyclists' Association, which, as far as I can see,
seems to be working vigorously for my interests as a cyclist in the
Washington metro area.

The LAB is just trying to fit in to a Washington lobby culture. Money
and visibility on the Hill matter there; spiffy premises help to show
that an interest group truly has arrived.

To be perfectly honest, I think we can accomplish far more at the
state and local levels. Somebody needs to educate me on how the
Federal government affects my ability to share the road in my own
little neighborhood--because from where I sit, it's the state that
paved the road, planned it, and maintains the friendly traffic cops
upon whose skills I rely to keep the worst of the motoring masses in
check.

I'm not a LAB member. From the looks of things, it doesn't seem like
there's any benefit to being one.

What the US needs is something like the CTC in Britain, that seems to
encompass *all* aspects of cycling: social rides, commuting
assistance, advocacy, insurance coverage.... and its president is
Phil Liggett.

-Luigi
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

Old February 26th 04, 06:42 AM
Dan Daniel

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:53:04 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I think we can accomplish far more at the
state and local levels. Somebody needs to educate me on how the
Federal government affects my ability to share the road in my own
little neighborhood--because from where I sit, it's the state that
paved the road, planned it, and maintains the friendly traffic cops
upon whose skills I rely to keep the worst of the motoring masses in
check.

I am not going to get into this debate, but this sentence did strike
me. I believe this plan has been pretty gutted over the years, but on
the federal level, there is ISTEA- some quick google links-

http://www.bikeplan.com/mtwhat.htm
http://www.dot.state.ny.us/istea/

This isn't to dispute that most action takes place locally, but there
has been an attempt to work federally and distribute money on programs
other than highways. If it is of any interest, I imagine that there
are people here and elsewhere who can educate you on this and other
ways that the federal government does influence local transit matters.

Old February 26th 04, 02:09 PM
Curtis L. Russell

wrote:

I'm not a LAB member. From the looks of things, it doesn't seem like
there's any benefit to being one.

What the US needs is something like the CTC in Britain, that seems to
encompass *all* aspects of cycling: social rides, commuting
assistance, advocacy, insurance coverage.... and its president is
Phil Liggett.

Funny - LAB used to be sort of like that about 20 years ago. Now their
club involvement is nil and some of the largest clubs - once adamant
supporters of LAB - are no longer supporters at all.

OTOH, if you are really lonely, you can send LAB one check and get
lots of mail asking for more.

Curtis L. Russell
LAB Life Member before the current board and management knew it
existed.

Old February 26th 04, 02:15 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:42:55 -0800, Dan Daniel
wrote:

This isn't to dispute that most action takes place locally, but there
has been an attempt to work federally and distribute money on programs
other than highways. If it is of any interest, I imagine that there
are people here and elsewhere who can educate you on this and other
ways that the federal government does influence local transit matters.

By funding the building of facilities. Yes, I know ISTEA, and I know
that technically more can be done with those funds than that. But
combined with the typical state process for evaluating and funding
projects, ISTEA will basically fund bike lanes and paths. There is
little for the transportational cyclist that wants to ride wherever he
or she needs to go. There is little for a recreational cyclist that
wants to go out for a 50-70 mile ride - because you are going to
rarely see 50-70 miles of bike facilities strung together. You won't
see advocacy efforts to put decent bike racks (not the toaster
holders) at destinations funded either, and bike racks only funded as
add-ons to larger projects.

WABA does these things (mentioned before). LAB doesn't. ISTEA doesn't.
The state process for funding cycling 'improvements' certainly doesn't
encourage projects to go in that direction (starting with most ISTEA
projects are reviewed by the State Highway Administration or
equivalent).

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 26th 04, 07:02 PM
Russ Baxter

Luigi de Guzman wrote in message

I'm under no illusions as to the chances of my letter actually being
read. I'm just another kook for the mail filter do plonk, or fodder
for some careerist kid down in Richmond, padding his resume by
slogging through interminable constituent mail.

I've worked for and around the Virginia General Assembly for 15 years
and personal letters from constituents are the ones most likely to be
read by the members. Keep those cards and letters coming.
Old February 26th 04, 11:17 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:03:49 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy/constinput.asp

the "who is my legislator" function on the GA's website. Go for it!

Done! My wife and I both.

Thx for the heads up on this, L.

-B

Old February 27th 04, 03:34 AM
frkrygow

wrote:

See http://www.labreform.org/

[...]

At one time, the LAB (under it's old name, the League of American
Wheelmen) was much more like the CTC. Not as good with legal assistance
or insurance, but at least it had a wide and healthy network of
volunteers, and it had close working relationships with hundreds of
local clubs. Volunteers in each state monitored their legislatures
(getting advice from the national folks), provided "Hospitality Houses"
to touring members (directory of such available through the national
office), ran annual rallies, etc.

A certain financial ineptness caused bad problems on several occasions,
nearly bankrupting the League. As I understand it, that led to the
current pendulum swing: link up with any organization that can help get
bucks. And if that takes energy away from providing benefits to
members, or watching out for cyclists' rights, well, y'gotta have the
bucks.

But why they killed off all the volunteer involvement, I don't know. As
it is, they certainly don't seem to want any "volunteers" on the board
of directors. Only the hand-picked need apply - and the recent,
unpublicized changes to the bylaws pretty much guarantee that. It's
shameful.

Incidentally, I don't see why an expensive office in DC necessarily pays
for itself in terms of lobbying effectiveness.

In any case, at this point I'm not sure what the benefits of membership
are. The only things keeping me on board are 1) they're the only
national organization of cyclists that's ever protected our rights to
the road; 2) if I'm not a member, my Effective Cycling Instructor
certification is gone; and 3) there's some hope that the current
disgraceful situation can be corrected, if enough people make noise.

Again, visit www.labreform.org

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]