I Started a new "Ride to Work" Schedule

Old June 17th 04, 07:06 PM
.o0 0o.

Default I Started a new "Ride to Work" Schedule

Last week I started riding my bike to work everyday. I still like to go
home for lunch to see my kids. It is a good break in the middle of the
day to be thrown into that chaos. What I do is leave a change of
clothes at work for the next day. When I go home at lunch I take my
dirty clothes and bring back fresh clothes. It is working out great so
far and I am saving on gas. That is 40 miles/week or about $2.50/week
in gas. And I am getting here earlier and getting more work done. I
don't feel tired around 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon like I used to.
Old June 17th 04, 07:12 PM
Bert L.

".o0 0o." schreef in bericht
Last week I started riding my bike to work everyday. I still like to go
home for lunch to see my kids. It is a good break in the middle of the
day to be thrown into that chaos. What I do is leave a change of
clothes at work for the next day. When I go home at lunch I take my
dirty clothes and bring back fresh clothes. It is working out great so
far and I am saving on gas. That is 40 miles/week or about $2.50/week
in gas. And I am getting here earlier and getting more work done. I
don't feel tired around 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon like I used to.

To spoil the fun :-)
what is the additional cost in food, clothing, washing and bike
maintenance/repair?

Bert L.

Old June 17th 04, 07:42 PM
.o0 0o.

To spoil the fun :-)
what is the additional cost in food, clothing, washing and bike
maintenance/repair?

Bert L.

You cant spoil my fun!

Additional food cost = $0.00 because I will take my breakfast to work
with me in my back pocket

Additional Clothing Cost = $0.00 because I already have all the clothing
I need.

Additional Washing cost = something. I dont know exactly. Cant be too
much though.

Additional Bike maintenance cost = Dont know yet. It will need more
maint. but my car will need less. So it should at least even out.

Old June 18th 04, 03:19 AM
Claire Petersky

Additional Washing cost = something. I dont know exactly. Cant be too
much though.

My cleaning bills went down drastically when I took up bike commuting. I
have the sort of job where clothes you have to dry clean are commonly
worn -- wool suits, silk blouses, that sort of thing. When I used to use
motorized transport exclusively for commuting, I would do things like run
for the bus in my suit and silk blouse, and sweat in it. Or get mud on nice
slacks walking on a muddy street. Or, after I got home, I'd burp the baby in
it, or cook dinner in these clothes -- these are risky activities for spills
and stains.

When you wear cycling clothing to/from work, you sweat into washable
garments. You only wear your nice clothes in the office, as opposed to
during the commute or at home. They stay nice much much longer, and even the
washable items don't require cleaning even half as much.

Also, if you only have to wear those *&%$# pointy shoes that seem to be
required for an office job only in the office, you don't wear down the shoe
leather as fast. What's hard on shoes is pavement. On carpet, shoes stay
nice. I have only had my black pumps, my very basic work shoes, resoled once
in years, now. I used to have them resoled pretty much annually.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old June 18th 04, 09:16 PM
Michael Press

".o0 0o." wrote:
Last week I started riding my bike to work everyday. I still like to go
home for lunch to see my kids. It is a good break in the middle of the
day to be thrown into that chaos. What I do is leave a change of
clothes at work for the next day. When I go home at lunch I take my
dirty clothes and bring back fresh clothes. It is working out great so
far and I am saving on gas. That is 40 miles/week or about $2.50/week
in gas. And I am getting here earlier and getting more work done. I
don't feel tired around 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon like I used to.

Congratulations. Enjoy it.

I have one additional suggestion - actually pay yourself the money you
would have spent on transportation. Once a week or so put the money
you saved into a separate bank account, let it accrue for a while and
spend it on bike stuff, especially splurges you might not otherwise
spring for. I've been doing that for 10 years and the money I would
have spent on parking and the Metro bought me a new Ti commuting bike.

Michael
Old June 19th 04, 12:08 PM
Bert L.am

".o0 0o." schreef in bericht

You cant spoil my fun!

Looks like an excellent attitude for life!
Try to upgrade to "nobody..." from "you..."!!

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu