Senior Olympics

Old August 7th 04, 08:43 AM
Edward Dolan

Default Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
..

[...]
But you will soon be confined to the nursery and the kitchen where

you
belong and all will be right with the world once again. I believe

the
other
k the Germans talk about has to do with the church, so you should

really
think about taking up religion. A women who is an atheist is way

over
her
head. Again, leave these type of intellectual matters to us men. Big
brains
are required the minute you leave the normal path of mankind.

Your attempts to get a rise out of me are amusing, Eddie! I won't be
quitting work or giving up my position as breadwinner in our family

any
time
soon! Thanks for playing!

You may be able to squeak by with just one baby, but any more than that

and
you will be at home confined to the nursery, the kitchen and the church

(the
three k's so beloved of the Germans) - where you and all women belong.

Your
husband, whether he likes it or not, will end up the breadwinner. No

more
cycling for you! Instead, you will be pushing a baby carriage down those
mean streets of Anchorage and chattering with all the other moms about

your
little bundles of joy. It has been ever thus.

I don't know if we have time for more than one. I am no spring chicken.
And we can't afford for me to stay home, but we can afford to have mike to
stay home. so that answers that dillemma.

My parents did not get married until your age (36) because the Great
Depression prevented it (nobody had any money). My mother had three children
and so can you if that is what you want. You have lots of time and you will
be a good parent because you have acquired maturity as had my mother. That
makes all the difference. Your children will be lucky to have mature
parents.

All you ever really had was a prolonged adolescence. Time to grow up now

and
be an adult.

I love my prolonged adolescence - i have been very lucky to have such a
great, responsibility free time until now.

Think of it as a separate life. Now you are entering another 2nd life, and
if you are lucky and live a long time you will eventually enter a 3rd life.
You would not want to continue any longer with your carefree life. Having
cares will connect you with all of humanity.

--
Best Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 7th 04, 08:52 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
Actually, both men and women are perfectly miserable 90% of the time.

The
other 10% of the time they have the illusion they are partially happy,

but
they really aren't. They are just deluded.

this is probably at least partially accurate, but imagine if you will

being
on your bike flying down a hill with the wind in your hair, sun at your
back. If you could do that 10% of the time, you could be happy at least
that much.

Agreed!
[...]

But I want women to have all the freedom of choice they want and can

handle.
But when a woman chooses marriage (and children) then, like the man,

there
are things that you have to give up. It is not possible to have all the
freedom that you might desire when you have chosen something which is

going
to limit that freedom. Responsibilities that go with choices are of the
essence.

I considered this before I got married - but realized that i had already
given up those freedoms for the relationship. children will absolutely
affect both of our lives profoundly, and thats a bit scary and

disconcerting
for me.

Full steam ahead - and don't look back!

I never married because I never wanted children. This has consequences

for
me too. No one can have anything approaching absolute freedom of choice.

It
is a chimera.

Its not too late - lots of widows your age looking for a hermit to cook

and
clean for.

No, I am a true hermit. I will look upon the fair sex from afar and dream my
dreams.

--
Best Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 7th 04, 02:07 PM
Tom Sherman

Default Hydrocarbons (was: Senior Olympics)

Edward Dolan wrote:

...I believe that the US will
always be the guarantor of Israel's existence, at least I hope so....

That is very unlikely, for the US will likely not be in is current
position in the world political order for much longer (in historical
terms), nor will the world's political and social order remain the same.

Based on recent evidence, 2004 will be recalled as the first year that
petroleum production could not be increased enough to hold prices down.
Real shortages are not far away, probably within Mr. Dolan's lifetime.
The new world leaders will be those countries that adapt rapidly to
renewable energy sources, not those that spend their current resources
fighting over the dwindling extractable oil reserves.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 7th 04, 02:29 PM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

"Child" wrote in message
Was Scott here when you got here? Scott was a very fun person to debate
with. He almost convinced me that women's lib has made women's lives
worse...

I think Scott (of Arizona?) has left this group for greener pastures
elsewhere, mainly because of me I am afraid. We could never see eye to eye
on anything under the sun. He left in disgust because he could not counter
my arguments (but who the hell can). However, if he was not in favor of
women's lib, then I think we would finally have found something we could
agree on....

Yet again, Mr. Ed can not keep alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent participants
straight. Beth is referring to Scott “Freewheeling” [1] who has a V-Rex
with a Rohloff hub, while Mr. Ed is thinking of "Roknutz" Scott who
lives in the Sierra Nevada mountains in southern California and has a
Tour Easy and a GTT that he rides with his wife Jodi.

[1] http://demosophia.typepad.com/about.html.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 7th 04, 02:36 PM
Tom Sherman

Mr. Ed wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Over your head, Mr. Ed! [Zing]

It was most likely way under my head, Mr. Tom! [Plop]

Plop like this [1], Mr. Ed?

[1] http://www.wrightguide.com/media/IM000942.JPG.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 7th 04, 04:47 PM
Joe Keenan

Major snippage Ed Dolan wrote:" No, I am a true hermit. I will
look upon the fair sex from afar and dream my dreams." Major
snippage

Yo Ed,

Before you get on your high horse (bad pun for Mr. Ed) about snippage,
don't even begin to lecture me about usenettiquette with what you've
done to these threads.

Because you're one for exactitude, refer to yourself as you truly are
on this forum: A misfit. You're not a hermit. A hermit withdraws
from society and lives in seclusion whereas a misfit is one who is
unable to adjust to one's environment or circumstances or is
considered to be disturbingly different from others. If you were a
hermit, you wouldn't be here. However, as a misfit you're doing an
outstanding job.

Slow Joe Recumbo
Old August 7th 04, 05:05 PM
Mark Leuck

Edward Dolan wrote:

...I believe that the US will
always be the guarantor of Israel's existence, at least I hope so....

That is very unlikely, for the US will likely not be in is current
position in the world political order for much longer (in historical
terms), nor will the world's political and social order remain the same.

Based on recent evidence, 2004 will be recalled as the first year that
petroleum production could not be increased enough to hold prices down.
Real shortages are not far away, probably within Mr. Dolan's lifetime.
The new world leaders will be those countries that adapt rapidly to
renewable energy sources, not those that spend their current resources
fighting over the dwindling extractable oil reserves.

That is assuming it is really dwindling in the first place, the problem is
and has always been finding the stuff and getting it out. For instance
Russia has far more reserves than the arab countries but the development has
been limited and existing equipment is far behind the times. Canada oddly
enough has even bigger reserves but it has been expensive to extract, we've
only scratched the surface in deep water exploration.

As always its merely a question of time, innovation and money, I've been
hearing this "we're running out of oil" garbage for 30+ years now

Old August 7th 04, 07:43 PM
Tom Sherman

Default Hydrocarbons

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

Discoveries of new oil fields peaked over 30 years ago.

Saudi Arabia and Shell have both recently admitted that they
significantly overstated their oil reserves.

Indonesia may drop out of OPEC, as it has become a net oil importer.

Production is declining in the North Sea fields.

Production is declining in the primary oil field in China.

No new oil fields have been discovered (worldwide) in over 1-1/2 years.

Demand for oil is rapidly increasing in India and China, which have 1/3
of the world's population.

New oil reserves are being created at an insignificant rate (if at all)
compared to extraction.

People in the US live in denial.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 7th 04, 08:01 PM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

...I believe that the US will
always be the guarantor of Israel's existence, at least I hope so....

That is very unlikely, for the US will likely not be in is current
position in the world political order for much longer (in historical
terms), nor will the world's political and social order remain the same.

I was thinking for the short term. Nothing is forever of course. Even now
Israel could defend itself if pushed to the wall, but it will never want to
use its nuclear weapons except as a last resort. I believe the US will
always step in to prevent an Armageddon in the Middle East or anywhere else
in the world provided we have the power to do so.

Based on recent evidence, 2004 will be recalled as the first year that
petroleum production could not be increased enough to hold prices down.
Real shortages are not far away, probably within Mr. Dolan's lifetime.
The new world leaders will be those countries that adapt rapidly to
renewable energy sources, not those that spend their current resources
fighting over the dwindling extractable oil reserves.

I think you are quite right about the dwindling of the world's oil resources
and we may be seeing the beginning of it right now. However, the one nation
in the world that can and will adapt to a changing situation will be the US
as long as we maintain our free enterprise system. One thing is for sure.
Governments will never solve the energy problem. Conservation of energy is
not the answer. The long term will require a plentiful and cheap new energy
source. It's either that or it's back to the slave labor of the Ancient
World.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 7th 04, 08:11 PM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

But still Mother Nature is not making any more of it and it is becoming
increasing hard to find and extract. If the Middle East is not able to keep
up with the world's demand (ever increasing year by year) that will be
something new under the sun for this generation. I don't think drilling
under the Antarctic ice cap will ever be feasible. It may be that we are
already at the limits of what can be gotten at a reasonable cost. For now,
the world runs on oil, but that is going to have to change someday, maybe
sooner than we think.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota