Shimano bar end shifter problem

Old May 11th 05, 07:58 PM
Floyd Sense

Default Shimano bar end shifter problem

I recently bought a new pair of 8 speed Shimano bar end shifters, and as
luck would have it, I dropped the lever assembly on the floor before it was
secured to the piece that fits into the handlebar end. The result was that
all the parts popped out, and while there aren't that many, thus far they've
defied reassembly. The Shimano installation instructions of course don't
show those parts separately. Is there any source of an exploded view of
these parts or can anyone attempt to describe to me how they go back
together? Any other assembly tips greatly appreciated. It appears that I
will have to create some tension on the large spring prior to assembly and
that make take 3 hands!

FS in Angier, NC

Old May 11th 05, 09:59 PM
daveornee

Floyd Sense Wrote:
[...]

Shimano says this is exploded views of 10 speed one:
http://bike.shimano.com/media/cyclin...9830537877.pdf
See if that helps.

--
daveornee

Old May 12th 05, 06:35 AM
Michael Press

In article ,
"Floyd Sense" wrote:

I recently bought a new pair of 8 speed Shimano bar end shifters, and as
luck would have it, I dropped the lever assembly on the floor before it was
secured to the piece that fits into the handlebar end. The result was that
all the parts popped out, and while there aren't that many, thus far they've
defied reassembly. The Shimano installation instructions of course don't
show those parts separately. Is there any source of an exploded view of
these parts or can anyone attempt to describe to me how they go back
together? Any other assembly tips greatly appreciated. It appears that I
will have to create some tension on the large spring prior to assembly and
that make take 3 hands!

FS in Angier, NC

What model number?

Go to the Shimano site.
Choose North America
Choose Cycling
Choose Technical Documents
Choose Shift Lever, under Dura Ace
Choose Exploded View for SL-BS78: 2004.
This will download a PDF document with exploded views
of the front and rear SL-BS78 10-speed bar end shift levers.

If this is not good enough, browse some more; maybe you will get
lucky.

--
Michael Press
Old May 12th 05, 12:06 PM
Floyd Sense

Already been to that one. The assembly in question is shown as a single
part - no exploded view of it.

"daveornee" wrote in
message ...

Old May 12th 05, 12:08 PM
Floyd Sense

Thanks, but have already been there and spent a couple of hours searching.
All of the exploded views from Shimano show the subject assembly as a single
part. Their views show how that part fits into the overall assembly, but
not the individual pieces that make up the part. Guess they thought it
couldn't come apart.