AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old February 25th 19, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Not nohow, not no way

As predicted, it looks beautiful out there, but the geese are huddled
together and the wind sock is standing straight out.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Old February 25th 19, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/24/2019 7:37 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Last time I checked, our highest gust of wind was 44 mph, about six
minutes before I started walking home from church.

Wasn't snowing much, but it hit my face pretty hard. I didn't get
chilled (I do know how to dress!) but DH could detect a difference
between my upwind ear and the other one when I asked him to feel them.

Weather Underground says that the wind will drop off in a fairly
straight line from Real Soon Now until midnight tomorrow, but I'm not
going anywhere by bike or by car. I might venture as far as the
compost heap on foot.

I don't know if I should be proud or embarrassed to say I was out in it
on the bike.

I heard about several trees down within a mile. I hate driving such
short distances, plus the car might be unable to get past some blockage;
and since I was a bit underdressed, I'd have frozen if I walked.

So I used the bike, got suitably impressed by the power of nature, and
froze anyway - but for a shorter time.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 25th 19, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:45:34 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

So I used the bike, got suitably impressed by the power of nature, and
froze anyway - but for a shorter time.

I'm accustomed to walking faster when I'm a bit under-dressed -- I
made the fifteen-minute walk to church in eleven minutes the Sunday
before last -- but the first time I tried it on a bike, I learned that
moving faster makes you colder.

But yesterday, I don't think anyone could have ridden fast enough to
notice the breeze he was stirring up.

One fear I have when riding in a stiff side-wind is the moment when a
large vehicle overtakes me and suddenly cuts it off.

The wash is hung and the dryer stuff has been put away; it's time for
a nap. Might go out myself to get my pills in the afternoon. Or
maybe tomorrow; I don't really have time to do anything in the
afternoon, since we eat early and I often sleep until four.

--
Joy Beeson
Old March 3rd 19, 05:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Traffic law

I've often commented that properly-written law and properly-designed
roads try very hard to make it take two mistakes to cause a collision.

That was illustrated this week. I'm sure that the driver who crashed
into the funeral procession will be blamed, and rightly so. Anyone
who "didn't see" a police car with its lights flashing is not paying
attention.

BUT

The driver in the procession should have glanced to each side to make
sure the cross traffic really had stopped before barrelling through.

I was rather paranoid about looking at the side streets for several
days after I read the story.

Old March 17th 19, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Mother, dear mother, pray make my bed soon

I'm weary wi' cycling, and I fain would lie doon.

Last Tuesday's ride was fourteen miles, more or less. A fifteen-mile
round trip to Pierceton seemed just right for a gentle increase in
miles, and I dropped off some old bath towels at the animal shelter on
the way.

I forgot that the Chinworth Trail and the streets of Warsaw are built
on a flat old lake bed. The roads between here and Pierceton
undulate.

I arrived in Pierceton thinking "I've gone about as fur as I can go."
(Everything is up to date in Kansas City.)

Touring the antique shops and having a cup of chili at the Oddfellow
Cafe and Coffee helped, but not a lot.

I rode south on 13 to Hillcrest Cemetery -- noticing for the first
time that it actually is on the crest of a hill, if you call these
undulations hills -- and turned into the wind. Peak gust, along about
then, was 19 mph, and I don't think it was ever less than five.
Pierceton is higher than Winona Lake, but that doesn't mean that the
road was downhill! I think that most of the elevation gain comes when
climbing from Cherry Creek/Wyland Ditch to Pierceton Road. I walked
up the Heritage Trail on the way out.

In addition, Google maps says the route I took was actually 18.3
miles.

I came back from Tuesday's ride with at least half a dozen receipts,
and I'd spent a while in the park eating lunch. Today, I stopped only
to blow my nose. And got off only to walk a few hills. Not as many
as I *felt* like walking; sometimes I had to remind myself that I felt
the same way on the flat. I didn't use the big ring much.

Once I got all those layers of clothing off, I took an aspirin tablet
and lay down for an hour, but I'm still not fit to operate heavy
machinery.

--
Joy Beeson